Soderberg to..... LINDENWOOD???

nobody has said such but you.

but now that you have brought up the "dont expect to have it both ways".

ok, you boss tells you tonite, "david, i will make you a rich man. but to do so, this company has to come first. you cant expect to have weekends off ever. if we have a board meeting the same day as your son's 8th grade graduation, i expect your wife will video it for you. i would think that your wife can track your kids growth on a closet door chart and i am sure she can text you any events you might miss. your vacation will be the company annual meeting in orlando, and your wife can go, but you have meetings each day, and if your kids need help with their geomety in 10 years get a tutor."

you ready to take that?

hey i am not making excuses. i am saying there is a great chance that brad not getting the next big ten or even ohio valley job might have more to do with brad being strong enough to say, "no thanks. i had that ride. let's compromise or i'm not your man." and all i am saying is i personally dont blame him. i would never ever want to be a college head coach at the division one level. i gotta believe it is a lonely job that marries you to the film room and your travel agent.

Brad went into Division I coaching with his "eyes wide open." If he didn't he was a fool. If he tooked the SLU job because he thought it would be "easy" and he would have more family time he was also a fool. And if he's taking the Lindenwood job because he thinks it won't take that much effort he will probably fail there.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The final decision for the Soderberg family for Kramer's high school options were between St. Charles West and Duschene, a smaller co-ed Catholic school in St. Charles. They did look at the MCC schools for a while, but Brad's schedule would not have worked out with dropping off and picking up Kramer everyday. He also did not want to put that additional driving burden on his wife, who had to worry about getting the other two kids to and from the nearby Catholic grade school.

They also didn't have any personal connection to any of the MCC schools, and let's face it, there's a lot more than just tuition money that goes into sending a son to an MCC school. It came down to the family's decision that the extra day-to-day challenges and significant tuition costs weren't worth it, even if the Soderbergs could afford it.

Though a Catholic education may have been ideal, Duschene can't compete with SCW in terms of academic offerings (similar to Roy's Belleville West-Althoff scenario) or athletics (division, facilities, opponents, attention, etc.). Plus, Kramer and Brad got to know Terry Hollander, one of the best coaches around at that level and an even better guy.

The whole faith argument in this thread is frivolous.

Amen, again! To imply something hypocritical is going on is absurd. I know many families who I consider very faith filled families who send their children to public school, either for grade school or high school, or both. Religious education begins with the family and any Catholic school simply augments that education. Schools can never replace the role of the parents in that department. The families I know that do send their children to public school, have many reasons, not the least of which is the financial burden of paying for college. These families believe that they can at least equal the religious training offered by Catholic schools by the education they can offer in their home.

Brad went into Division I coaching with his "eyes wide open." If he didn't he was a fool. If he tooked the SLU job because he thought it would be "easy" and he would have more family time he was also a fool. And if he's taking the Lindenwood job because he thinks it won't take that much effort he will probably fail there.

i disagree with the inference that recruiting at lindenwood will be the same as slu. no way. naia schools dont go out of town recruiting 2-300 days a year. the effort will mostly be to convince the mostly local kids that couldnt get a d-1 look to to go naia instead of d-2.

while naia rosters indeed will carry a player or two from out of the area, most naia rosters are predominately local. a coach for an naia school will spend very few nights in a holiday inn express out of the area. so while that coach might still be recruiting a lot if not every possible moment. he or she still gets to mainly sleep in their own bed and can probably arrange their schedule to see their 6th graders xmas play as well.

His salary will probably be in the range of 40,000-$70,000, that it what most NAIA coaches make. That is what my coach at MOBAP got paid, his salry was $45,000 and he taught classes too.

I can almost grantee you Brad will be making more than that. The wrestling coach at Lindenwood now makes more than your coach at MO Bapt. did. I would think the basketball coach is going to make a lot more than that.

I can almost grantee you Brad will be making more than that. The wrestling coach at Lindenwood now makes more than your coach at MO Bapt. did. I would think the basketball coach is going to make a lot more than that.

Brad was making good jack as the AD at Loras. There's no way he takes such a considerable pay cut to coach at an NAIA school. If you haven't noticed, Lindenwood is an athletic superpower at the small school level and are obviously hoping to step up their basketball program.

Brad was making good jack as the AD at Loras. There's no way he takes such a considerable pay cut to coach at an NAIA school. If you haven't noticed, Lindenwood is an athletic superpower at the small school level and are obviously hoping to step up their basketball program.

He will not be making anything over $70,000,plus they are NAIA Div II

Nice guy and I wish Kramer and him both good fortunes; However, he was not the answer at SLU. He was a hire that reflected the Randy Albrcht face that SLU was willing to slip into in the past.

Fortunately, boosters like Chaifetz got Biondi's ear on this one and while we are working on getting back into the big dance BS and family will be toiling in a nice environment that is two counties from the metro where the real action is going on. This is not a slam against

Brad he brought all he had to every game but he came up short when we needed Moses to lead us out of the desert.

If we had 30 years of success and a league leading tradition I have no doubt Brad could have kept us at that level; but

he had little support from either the school or the local media which was looking for another charmer like Spoon or Romar.

They are NAIA Div I. They play in the HAAC. They have been NAIA Div. I at least since the mid 90's when one of my high school wrestling teamates went there. I am also willing to bet you are completely wrong on the salary point, too. Sports and buildings are the two things Lindenwood spends big bucks on.

Amen, again! To imply something hypocritical is going on is absurd. I know many families who I consider very faith filled families who send their children to public school, either for grade school or high school, or both. Religious education begins with the family and any Catholic school simply augments that education. Schools can never replace the role of the parents in that department. The families I know that do send their children to public school, have many reasons, not the least of which is the financial burden of paying for college. These families believe that they can at least equal the religious training offered by Catholic schools by the education they can offer in their home.

The 4 or 5 posts above this are unreal... you're debating why a family chose to live in St. Charles, why a kid went to a public HS vs a small Catholic HS, blah....blah....blah....blah...... I am sure the Soderberg's are getting a big kick out of their personal affairs being discussed on a college fan's board.... Please, you're killing most of us here with this stuff.

The 4 or 5 posts above this are unreal... you're debating why a family chose to live in St. Charles, why a kid went to a public HS vs a small Catholic HS, blah....blah....blah....blah...... I am sure the Soderberg's are getting a big kick out of their personal affairs being discussed on a college fan's board.... Please, you're killing most of us here with this stuff.

thank you.

thank you.

Thank you again! :huh:

What a bullsh!t post this is! If I were a name-dropping, jock sniffer like you I suppose I would be making posts like "I attended Mass with Brad". Good for you! Congratulations. Let's put you in the hall of fame and build a statue of you outside the arena! Hey everybody, notice courtside! Pay attention to him!

If you don't think a "faith, faith, faith, faith" interview was different than the way he typically communicated with the media, you're either lying or didn't follow the team for five years while he was coaching. I NEVER suggested Brad was making it up, only that he was communicating in a very different way than he had in the past.

And now you're threatening to injure me! Very classy. :huh:

What part of the joke didn't you understand? Wow, I'll go slower for you Footes. You are a very paranoid poster. I'll get a calculator to add up the apologies you need here.

Who cares if Brad says the word Jesus Christ 75 times per minute? Why does it bother you so much? You accused Brad of being a hypocrite. I knew better and said, done deal.

You questioned where the former SLU coach's son chose to go to high school. Now you are back pedaling.

Ha Ha Ha Ha hA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is a joke, right?

I haven't followed this thread, but why am I not surprised that my pal courtside is in another row. It's getting old.

Nothing wrong with Footes being 'surprised' that kramer didn't go to a Catholic school given the interview, but now who really cares where Brad 'sent' his kid to hs? Let's move on.

I know this apparently must be a shocker to some people here, but...gasp...some kids actually pick their own high school. Maybe that's not how it's done in some people households, but there is a whole big world out there where that is the case. I've now seen this posted by multiple people.

you are an idiotif you think i should apologize to you. you were the one that started this and incited the exchange. you should apologize to me.

roy, you accused me of attacking you when I clearly wasn't. Since you like to ask for apologies on here, I figured you wouldn't have a problem giving one when you were obviously wrong. :huh:

I'm not assuming anything. All I'm saying is that things worked out very well for Kramer at SCW.

Is getting a basketball scholarship more important to me than faith? If it was my daughter and I thought she'd have a better chance of landing a scholarship to a college like Miami OH by going to a public school (whether it's academic or athletic), you better believe I'm going with the public school.

You clearly laid out your position here and I have no problem with it.

I really have no idea what his salary will be, but I'd imagine he could make some decent coin running camps over the summer.

What part of the joke didn't you understand? Wow, I'll go slower for you Footes. You are a very paranoid poster. I'll get a calculator to add up the apologies you need here.

Who cares if Brad says the word Jesus Christ 75 times per minute? Why does it bother you so much? You accused Brad of being a hypocrite. I knew better and said, done deal.

You questioned where the former SLU coach's son chose to go to high school. Now you are back pedaling.

Please show me where I wrote that Brad was a hypocrite. You are now trying to put words in my mouth because you made no sense.

You are simply "assuming" that I was calling Brad a hypocrite. This is really funny...especially after your bullsh!t "assumptions" post. :huh:

You accused Brad of being a hypocrite. I knew better and said, done deal.

I think some of you missed the point of footes' original post. He wasn't questioning whether Brad had faith, nor did he accuse Brad of being a hypocrite in the original post. He was simply questioning whether faith was Brad's #1 priority and brought up an example of where he might have chosen something (basketball, proximity, quality education, etc.) over religion/faith.

I believe Roy had a good response and said that Brad was living up to his other high priority: family.

By the way, I only post the truth. :huh:

I know this apparently must be a shocker to some people here, but...gasp...some kids actually pick their own high school. Maybe that's not how it's done in some people households, but there is a whole big world out there where that is the case. I've now seen this posted by multiple people.

So if you picked a public high school that was in a different school district your parents would have moved? That's what you're saying here. The choice was entirely up to you. Did you make them move to Clayton or Ladue? :huh:

roy, i think Brad is a decent enough guy. I just don't remember hearing too much about his faith until he was out of work and trying to sell his house. I've commented on this before, but Brad's faith story rings hollow to me. He drove past CBC, DeSmet, Chaminade, and SLUH on his way to work in the morning but sent his kid to St. Chuck West. It's not like Brad didn't have the money to afford tuition. For someone to cling to the faith bit but not think it's important enough to be part of his children's education doesn't add up IMO.

roy, I know you'll probably follow up with why Belleville whatever is better than Althoff, but you really can't say that St. Chuck West is better than the 5 MCC schools. If you want to say that going to St. Chuck West was a basketball decision, that's fine. If that's the case, then faith is secondary to basketball for Brad.

Questioning whether Soderberg's faith is genuine is way out of line.

Questioning whether Soderberg's faith is genuine is way out of line.

Hey, each family can make decisions. I don't really care. Again, I said it was surprising to me. They can do what they want. When pressed by a couple of folks with poor comprehension I elaborated.

BTW, I'm not the only one who found this unusual.