UK scenario

slu72

And I was just reminding you that these great scheduling opportunites have been talked about since Majerus was hired. Its been all talk thus far. Nothing more.

Sounds like I struck a nerve. My bad.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The interesting thing about Calipari, Memphis, Kentucky, Arizona....is Josh Pastner. He left U of A after U of A did not make him associate head coach, and he was well courted as he is highly respected and a beast of a recruiter. Where did he wind up? Memphis...and he is doing one heck of a job recruiting for Calipari so far.

Ramsey just said on the radio that Georgia is preparing to offer Anderson 2.5mil a year and that Memphis will go after him with an even bigger number if Coach Cal leaves for UK. Just repeating what Ramsey said...

Apparently Anderson's agent is meeting with Georgia as we speak and Memphis has received permission to speak to Anderson. It will be hard for Anderson to turn down the money.

No, not your dad. Just tired of hearing from ill-informed posters about all these great games Majerus "might" schedule because he is "friends" with a lot of people.

How is it ill-informed to talk about getting games with opponents of which many RM himself has said he'd like to play. Scheduling doesn't happen overnight. We are going to have to raise the perception of SLU basketball before it gets easier to schedule big name schools regularly. Be patient.

In regards to scheduling did anyone else know or notice this.

Romar has been involved with USA Basketball in various capacities for more than a decade. In 1997, he served as an assistant under current Saint Louis University coach Rick Majerus with the USA under-22 national team that competed in the World Championships.

It'd be nice to see Romar come play SLU

How is it ill-informed to talk about getting games with opponents of which many RM himself has said he'd like to play. Scheduling doesn't happen overnight. We are going to have to raise the perception of SLU basketball before it gets easier to schedule big name schools regularly. Be patient.

Skip, I'd like for us to play a better schedule. I think we will at some point. My point was, ever since and even before Majerus was officialy hire, we had all kinds of people saying what great games we could get scheduled now because Majerus had so many contacts in the game(unlike Sodie). It hasn't happened. Will it happen? Maybe, but it's apparent all these "connections" that RM has aren't really helping a whole lot when it comes to actually getting games scheduled. When can we expect the return?

Skip, I'd like for us to play a better schedule. I think we will at some point. My point was, ever since and even before Majerus was officialy hire, we had all kinds of people saying what great games we could get scheduled now because Majerus had so many contacts in the game(unlike Sodie). It hasn't happened. Will it happen? Maybe, but it's apparent all these "connections" that RM has aren't really helping a whole lot when it comes to actually getting games scheduled. When can we expect the return?

His connections certainly aren't hurting, but I think the reason they aren't paying dividends on the schedule yet have more to do with the dynamic in college basketball right now. BCS conference teams simply do not want to come into a non-BCS conference school's gym to play. That's it. Look at the non-conference schedules from this past year; how many true road games (not neutral court tournaments) are these teams playing that aren't at other BCS conference schools? Virtually none.

The big boys are building higher and higher walls around their own little sandbox to keep the rest of us out, and it sucks. All D1 teams play for the same trophy but only the programs from the six power conferences have a legitimate shot anymore because of the system they've created (Memphis, Xavier, and Gonzaga are the exceptions, as they've sustained great programs outside of this).

Don't blame Rick's connections for not being strong enough and don't blame Rick for not coming through (I strongly believe he's trying his best); blame the culture of college basketball today. The schools in the BCS programs are slowly turning it into college football and trying to ruin the best sport going.

His connections certainly aren't hurting, but I think the reason they aren't paying dividends on the schedule yet have more to do with the dynamic in college basketball right now. BCS conference teams simply do not want to come into a non-BCS conference school's gym to play. That's it. Look at the non-conference schedules from this past year; how many true road games (not neutral court tournaments) are these teams playing that aren't at other BCS conference schools? Virtually none.

The big boys are building higher and higher walls around their own little sandbox to keep the rest of us out, and it sucks. All D1 teams play for the same trophy but only the programs from the six power conferences have a legitimate shot anymore because of the system they've created (Memphis, Xavier, and Gonzaga are the exceptions, as they've sustained great programs outside of this).

Don't blame Rick's connections for not being strong enough and don't blame Rick for not coming through (I strongly believe he's trying his best); blame the culture of college basketball today. The schools in the BCS programs are slowly turning it into college football and trying to ruin the best sport going.

Very well said. The hurdles to get home and homes for all but the elite of the non-BCS (i.e. Memphis, Gonzaga and maybe now Xavier) are higher then they've ever been in the past. the key for SLU will be to find a way into that elite.

You're missing the point. RM was suppose to get us these games because, you see, he "knew" people. He had "friends" in the "business." This would trump the fact that these BCS schools don't want to play mid majors. Everybody can use that excuse but RM was suppose to be an insider. So it's obvious that to this point in time, his connections are not strong enough and he hasn't done enough. If you're a big time bball coach, you tell your AD who you want to schedule, not the other way around.

You're missing the point. RM was suppose to get us these games because, you see, he "knew" people. He had "friends" in the "business." This would trump the fact that these BCS schools don't want to play mid majors. Everybody can use that excuse but RM was suppose to be an insider. So it's obvious that to this point in time, his connections are not strong enough and he hasn't done enough. If you're a big time bball coach, you tell your AD who you want to schedule, not the other way around.

or...............

rickma didnt really try to use the connection card yet.

which is what i contend is the case. protecting that never under 500 record was more important. i say the sad part is that a couple of games with top 100 teams instead of a couple of gumby colleges would have still yielded a 500+ record.

or...............

rickma didnt really try to use the connection card yet.

which is what i contend is the case. protecting that never under 500 record was more important. i say the sad part is that a couple of games with top 100 teams instead of a couple of gumby colleges would have still yielded a 500+ record.

edited

-your contention that we could have lost a couple of more games and still been over 500 is certainly correct given our record, very nice

-you say rick was protecting his record

-i say rick was protecting his players and the growth of the program

-there is a big difference between the two

edited

-your contention that we could have lost a couple of more games and still been over 500 is certainly correct given our record, very nice

-you say rick was protecting his record

-i say rick was protecting his players and the growth of the program

-there is a big difference between the two

we beat boston college in one of our early games, thus proving they didnt need all that "protecting".

i have never seen the worth of playing sisters of the poor beyond pumping the win loss record.

we beat boston college in one of our early games, thus proving they didnt need all that "protecting".

i have never seen the worth of playing sisters of the poor beyond pumping the win loss record.

-we lost to kent st the game before bc thus proving what?

-we lost to lasalle in our last conf game thus proving what?

-i guess a team laden with frosh should know going in what it is like to play college bball on slu's level

-we lost to kent st the game before bc thus proving what?

-we lost to lasalle in our last conf game thus proving what?

-i guess a team laden with frosh should know going in what it is like to play college bball on slu's level

both good losses. how did those losses hurt the kids? by the time today's d-1 kids get to school they have been through tougher games and situations than the likes of boston college via aau and high level high school games. this isnt hoosiers anymore. they are ready to play.

Roy, you are unreal. So we beat BC. We also lost to crappy teams like SIU and Detroit. We were 7-0 in non-conference "buy" games and 2-5 in non-buy games. The numbers speak for themselves.

You are basically calling Rick Majerus a liar when you say he hasn't tried to get big name opponents on the schedule. Every radio show he does he talks about trying to get those guys on the schedule. Are you calling him a liar?

Its the mid-major home and homes like Detroit, Pacific, Loyola, etc. that he is trying to avoid.

Roy, you are unreal. So we beat BC. We also lost to crappy teams like SIU and Detroit. We were 7-0 in non-conference "buy" games and 2-5 in non-buy games. The numbers speak for themselves.

You are basically calling Rick Majerus a liar when you say he hasn't tried to get big name opponents on the schedule. Every radio show he does he talks about trying to get those guys on the schedule. Are you calling him a liar?

Its the mid-major home and homes like Detroit, Pacific, Loyola, etc. that he is trying to avoid.

well if he isnt lying about the schedule then he is lying about his contacts. one or the other.

kshoe, imo losing to the likes of nebraska and detroit or kent state or depaul in close games will do more down the road to develop players than beating the snot out of umsl, samford, or liberty.

i just see absolutely no value in the "buy game" beyond a win on the record.