Ruben Cotto

Am I the only one who thinks that this guy could have really helped the Bills down the stretch?

His participation would not have hurt, however, we are well beyond him now. Best of luck to Mr. Cotto. Wise move for him. He probably would have been reduced to a role player at SLU.

His participation would not have hurt, however, we are well beyond him now. Best of luck to Mr. Cotto. Wise move for him. He probably would have been reduced to a role player at SLU.

Maybe it would have helped this season, however I think it is a good thing he left. He obviously did not have the mentality we are looking for.

Maybe it would have helped this season, however I think it is a good thing he left. He obviously did not have the mentality we are looking for.

RM wouldn't tolerate T.O. on his team.... oops I meant RC. Unless this kid has a change of ego he's going to struggle wherever he ends up playing.

I don't know how one can make a statement pro or con for Mr. Cotto and his skills and his ability to help or not given what we saw. I don't recall how many games he had under his belt but I do recall that whatever he was doing, he WAS NOT lighting the world on fire with his performance. Sure, he could have progressed and helped. Or he might have not. Or he could have done as that Redford kid did at Xavier --- which was light it up until everyone got the skinny on him and shut him down. He was totally useless in the A10 tourney because even folks like Eckerle followed him everywhere and made sure he couldn't catch and shoot. If you thought Deiner was bad (and I did) then Redford is worse because he doesn't have Deiner's size. As long as you don't lose the kid, he is useless.

Speculation is never answered and we can speculate on Cotto all we want. I say let the book play out before we say woe is me. Ikeakor and Dixon and Cranford and Adkins and a whole slew of others left SLU. Outside of the kid that went to Kent State, I can't think of any other that came back to light it up recently. In the past, Ford was okay when he went to SW Missouri State and of course Frazier was an exception at Missouri.

based on what I've heard, I be willing to bet right now that Cotto's chances of doing anything worthwhile elsewhere are slim. I hope he proves me wrong but right now, I don't think so. If you pontificate on Cotto, how about Matt Roth or Lucas O'Rear or that kid that went to Louisville. Shoulda/coulda/woulda is a great game anywhere.

Cotto coudlnt' hack the Majerus system. I suspect he will be the first but not the last.

And, if you believe in brian's statement (which I do) then you have to ask "who's going to shoot next year?"

That is the big question. That is why I think Ellis is going to get a shot to play the three. If the kid can shoot like he has in Australia he will be a match up nightmare for most teams we play against. Reid will get a shot at the two. Hopefully Cassity is working on his stroke and will be more willing to shoot with Kevin and Tommie gone. We won't have a clue if anyone will step up until we see them play next season.

I don't know how one can make a statement pro or con for Mr. Cotto and his skills and his ability to help or not given what we saw. I don't recall how many games he had under his belt but I do recall that whatever he was doing, he WAS NOT lighting the world on fire with his performance. Sure, he could have progressed and helped. Or he might have not.

Outside of the kid that went to Kent State

Nice post, Taj, and I agree. How could one know what he would have done with any degree of certainty. The odd part, for me, is how little patience some players have for the game and for life. You would think for stability's sake that RC or anybody else would WANT to stick it out for 4 years, since that's the best way to have the proper college experience. I think, without any inside knowledge, that RC was probably unhappy with his decision almost immediately after making it and wanted out. This was probably due to the academic side of things.

As far as the highighted part, I am curious as to whom you are referring?

Jason Edwin. I really liked him.

Nice post, Taj, and I agree. How could one know what he would have done with any degree of certainty. The odd part, for me, is how little patience some players have for the game and for life. You would think for stability's sake that RC or anybody else would WANT to stick it out for 4 years, since that's the best way to have the proper college experience. I think, without any inside knowledge, that RC was probably unhappy with his decision almost immediately after making it and wanted out. This was probably due to the academic side of things.

As far as the highighted part, I am curious as to whom you are referring?

Cotto coudlnt' hack the Majerus system. I suspect he will be the first but not the last.

while i am not in the camp that wishes cotto was still here, cotto had no problem with "the system". cotto just had these visions of immediate greatness (probably founded by listening to all the wrong people as well as from people that shouldnt even be talking to him per ncaa guidelines) that drove him to philly. but it was nothing about not hacking the system.

while i am not in the camp that wishes cotto was still here, cotto had no problem with "the system". cotto just had these visions of immediate greatness (probably founded by listening to all the wrong people as well as from people that shouldnt even be talking to him per ncaa guidelines) that drove him to philly. but it was nothing about not hacking the system.

Cotto thought he would come in here and be the number one option from day 1. That never happened, and since he thought he was going to the league that really cramped his style.

Cotto thought he would come in here and be the number one option from day 1. That never happened, and since he thought he was going to the league that really cramped his style.

What's wrong with having that kind of mentality? If you think you are good, you should act like you are good. Liddell acted like he had his ticket punched to the NBA draft the first day he came here. Obviously that didn't pan out, but cockiness isn't bad if you know you have the ability to be a stud.

It hurts the team mentality that Majerus is trying to create. If you watched Cotto in the early part of the season he would try to create for himself early in the shot clock and take HORRIBLE shots. GOOD RIDDANCE! I can't wait until Cotto comes into Chaifetz.

Don't tell me we're padding our schedule with JUCO's next year.

What's wrong with having that kind of mentality? If you think you are good, you should act like you are good. Liddell acted like he had his ticket punched to the NBA draft the first day he came here. Obviously that didn't pan out, but cockiness isn't bad if you know you have the ability to be a stud.

That's pretty much the opposite of what I saw from Tommie. He had NBA talent but was completely reserved personality-wise. He was tentative on the floor when he could have taken over at times. Never did I get the sense that Tommie thought he was a sure-thing pro, and I wouldn't have minded if he did once in a while.

That's pretty much the opposite of what I saw from Tommie. He had NBA talent but was completely reserved personality-wise. He was tentative on the floor when he could have taken over at times. Never did I get the sense that Tommie thought he was a sure-thing pro, and I wouldn't have minded if he did once in a while.

TOmmie had that mentality for about ten games in his sophmore year. Other than that I agree with you

I've heard that Cotto plans on suiting up for LaSalle next year. Can anyone actually confirm what the rule is? I think by enrolling in a JUCO he will be able to play next year with missing minimal time.

I hope he does play next year. Id love to see willie swat his stuff into the 5th row.

I've heard that Cotto plans on suiting up for LaSalle next year.

The guys on this board who know the rules figured his situation out extensively when he transferred, as far as eventual eligibility goes. You can probably find it in the board archives, and it will tell you that he's going to lose a year or somesuch.

As far as the Tommie Liddell 20/10 run as a soph: DAMN THAT WAS FUN. I was soooo impressed with Lisch and Liddell at the time. And trying to rationalize Ian's play by blaming it on his finger (I think it was his damn pinkie, if I'm not mistaken) or his foot or something. IV wasn't actually that bad- he just wasn't that good, and he needed to be THAT good to make SLU a potent team. What might have been.......

Someone, give us an update on ol' OPAAAAA!

With Cotto's height I think Cassity could block his shot.

Cotto is short but we don't normally come out to 35 feet to pick up a 3 point shooter and what little we saw of Coto that was his range senior year

of high school; we are going to have a surfeit of shooters next year

Am I the only one who thinks that this guy could have really helped the Bills down the stretch?

He certainly wouldn't have hurt the team, but I don't think he would have made much of a difference in terms of overall wins or where we finished in the standings. How many additional wins do you think he was worth?