Mardi Gras and the Dayton game

FYI, the Dayton game is the night of the big Mardi Gras festivities downtown and that will DEFINITELY effect the student turnout. My senior year we played Tulane that night and it looked more like a Tulane home game with everyone in their beads and completely inebriated. I was lucky enough to bum a ride up to (then) Savvis Center for the game, but it was an early 1 or 2 tip-time if I can remember. The Dayton game is at 7pm and I'm sure the passed out student body will not make Chaifetz an intimidating place to play. My bet is that the student section resembles the picture from the Duquesne game.

I will be there, but as soon as it's over, it's back to Soulard.

FYI, the Dayton game is the night of the big Mardi Gras festivities downtown and that will DEFINITELY effect the student turnout. My senior year we played Tulane that night and it looked more like a Tulane home game with everyone in their beads and completely inebriated. I was lucky enough to bum a ride up to (then) Savvis Center for the game, but it was an early 1 or 2 tip-time if I can remember. The Dayton game is at 7pm and I'm sure the passed out student body will not make Chaifetz an intimidating place to play. My bet is that the student section resembles the picture from the Duquesne game.

Considering the game is already pretty-much sold out, MG festivities tend to die down around 6 or 7, and we're playing Dayton and not Tulane, I'm not overly concerned with the student turn out. In fact, I think the atmosphere has a real good shot at being the season's best. This will be especially true if we're still playing well.

I've echoed that statement nearly every year. I DO NOT understand scheduling a game on that night. There will be zero students there. Mardi Gras activities do not die down around 6 or 7...maybe in the retirement home, but seriously. Its poor scheduling. Not sure if we could change much regarding the schedule but its stupid to plan a game on st. louis's biggest party of the year.

I've echoed that statement nearly every year. I DO NOT understand scheduling a game on that night. There will be zero students there. Mardi Gras activities do not die down around 6 or 7...maybe in the retirement home, but seriously. Its poor scheduling. Not sure if we could change much regarding the schedule but its stupid to plan a game on st. louis's biggest party of the year.

I actually think that there is gonna be a very nice turnout of many highly intoxicated students. I am very excited for this one

Maybe kids today don't party the way some of us older folks did back in the good old days, but the game will be over around 9 p.m. Plenty of time to have more fun after the game if you so choose.

Maybe kids today don't party the way some of us older folks did back in the good old days, but the game will be over around 9 p.m. Plenty of time to have more fun after the game if you so choose.

No kidding. Do the pre-partying, come to the game and then go get arrested. It's not that tough.

No kidding. Do the pre-partying, come to the game and then go get arrested. It's not that tough.

there is plenty of time afterwards, but the problem is prime boob watching time is right in the middle of the game. so the choice becomes boobs or bills.

To be fair, if you are really worried about Mardi Gras festivities, there is no "good" time for this game on Saturday. If you do it at noon or in the afternoon, you run into folks that have to make a choice between the parade and tha game.

Depending on weather, the best time to be down there is during the parade and right after. Great people watching and a fun crowd.

True basketball fans won't let a minor parade stand in their way of attending the game vs Dayton

there is plenty of time afterwards, but the problem is prime boob watching time is right in the middle of the game. so the choice becomes boobs or bills.

Prime boob watching is not during the evening. Everybody knows that it's around 2 or 3 in the afternoon.

I think they should schedule a game for the Friday night before Mardi Gras. A lot of recent grads come back to St. Louis for Mardi Gras and SLU could package the game as sort of a homecoming game, a yearly tradition. And by having on Friday, you avoid the parade/festivities/people too hammered to show up at the game conflict and allow students/recent grads to attend the game.

I think they should schedule a game for the Friday night before Mardi Gras. A lot of recent grads come back to St. Louis for Mardi Gras and SLU could package the game as sort of a homecoming game, a yearly tradition. And by having on Friday, you avoid the parade/festivities/people too hammered to show up at the game conflict and allow students/recent grads to attend the game.

Amen, AB34. I'm flying back Friday afternoon and making plans with people for a long Saturday in Soulard. I'm planning on going to the game, but there are a lot of factors- finding a ride, pacing myself, nothing unusual coming up, etc. If the game is on Friday night, everyone's around and taking it easy before the crazy Saturday. It would be perfect. I can promise that attendance would be much better among my friends, too (class of '05).

Amen, AB34. I'm flying back Friday afternoon and making plans with people for a long Saturday in Soulard. I'm planning on going to the game, but there are a lot of factors- finding a ride, pacing myself, nothing unusual coming up, etc. If the game is on Friday night, everyone's around and taking it easy before the crazy Saturday. It would be perfect. I can promise that attendance would be much better among my friends, too (class of '05).

thats a second Amen from this end. That would be perfect. Friday night game, Saturday all day for boob finding. excellent points.

Are you guys serious? I'm sorry but when did SLU climb the ranks and become some big party school? Having one good bar (Humphreys) and filling it only a night or two each week is pretty lame. Even more lame is partially filled student sections night after night and requiring students go to games to get recognized prior to leaving. While better than prior years, undergrad attendance is still awful. The President of the Blue Crew does nothing and no one steps in fill the void? I am done making excuses for the undergrads. Too far, not on campus, too cold waiting for the bus, don't like riding buses, too much $ to park....

I did my graduate work at SLU and only then realized that way too many undergrads were more interested and excited about sipping a cappuchino at The Grind rather than Clarks - What an absolute shame - RIP. Curious. Are these 15 guys who are so interested in Mardi Gras beads and boobs the same 15 who've been coming to Billiken games for years?

Aside from the Band and SLU's annual "hard core" group of 15 or 20 undergrads, I doubt anyone is (or should be) even remotely concerned about the schedules of "the students." It would be nice if "the students" totalled 1200 loyal fans. It would be a concern if attendance were to drop from 1200 down to 200 because of Mardi Gras. Frankly I think a more realistic figure is that attendance will drop from 60 to 40. Big deal!!

Arizona State has nothing to worry about losing its party school reputation to SLU.

Are you guys serious? I'm sorry but when did SLU climb the ranks and become some big party school? Having one good bar (Humphreys) and filling it only a night or two each week is pretty lame. Even more lame is partially filled student sections night after night and requiring students go to games to get recognized prior to leaving. While better than prior years, undergrad attendance is still awful. The President of the Blue Crew does nothing and no one steps in fill the void? I am done making excuses for the undergrads. Too far, not on campus, too cold waiting for the bus, don't like riding buses, too much $ to park....

I did my graduate work at SLU and only then realized that way too many undergrads were more interested and excited about sipping a cappuchino at The Grind rather than Clarks - What an absolute shame - RIP. Curious. Are these 15 guys who are so interested in Mardi Gras beads and boobs the same 15 who've been coming to Billiken games for years?

Aside from the Band and SLU's annual "hard core" group of 15 or 20 undergrads, I doubt anyone is (or should be) even remotely concerned about the schedules of "the students." It would be nice if "the students" totalled 1200 loyal fans. It would be a concern if attendance were to drop from 1200 down to 200 because of Mardi Gras. Frankly I think a more realistic figure is that attendance will drop from 60 to 40. Big deal!!

Arizona State has nothing to worry about losing its party school reputation to SLU.

hahaha maybe you haven't been a student at slu for a while?

mardi gras is a HUGE deal around here. and SLU kids definitely know how to party

Mardi Gras in St. Louis is way, way overrated.

Mardi Gras in St. Louis is way, way overrated.

Maybe on a national scale, but in comparison to other big St. Louis all day parties, it is up near the top. Opening Day, Mardi Gras, St. Patty's Day...best days to party in St. Louis during the year. Especially if you're a hoosier or like to watch hoosiers.

hahaha maybe you haven't been a student at slu for a while?

mardi gras is a HUGE deal around here. and SLU kids definitely know how to party

i don't think he has.

i graduated in 2006 so this is my perspective. while noone is going to confuse SLU for az state, an sec school, or wisconsin for parties, its pretty clear we hold our own. living 4 years on/right off campus (coronado), its out of control most friday and saturday nights. the only difference between us and a big state school is the whole greek row and house parties...we have to be bused off campus (huge pain in the @$$) but those frat parties are hardly anything to laugh at. apartment parties are OCC as well until they get busted up by some lame graduate student (see clock tower?). not to mention SLU has as many hot girls as any in the midwest. confirmed by multiple friends who have visited from u. of wisc, u of i, iu, bradley, ohio st.....

i don't think he has.

i graduated in 2006 so this is my perspective. while noone is going to confuse SLU for az state, an sec school, or wisconsin for parties, its pretty clear we hold our own. living 4 years on/right off campus (coronado), its out of control most friday and saturday nights. the only difference between us and a big state school is the whole greek row and house parties...we have to be bused off campus (huge pain in the @$$) but those frat parties are hardly anything to laugh at. apartment parties are OCC as well until they get busted up by some lame graduate student (see clock tower?). not to mention SLU has as many hot girls as any in the midwest. confirmed by multiple friends who have visited from u. of wisc, u of i, iu, bradley, ohio st.....

and validated by my non-slu friends as well. on mardi gras we are having a kegs and eggs party starting at 7 am :P