Kwamain and Willie

slufanskip

With all the talk (and desevedly so) being centered on Kevin's game, shot, and resurgence we haven't had much talk about Kwamain or even Wille.

Kwamain was fantastic down the stretch, almost just putting the team on his shoulders during the final overtime. He knew that Richmond was tired and just took it upon himself to get to the hole. We are a much different team when he is on the floor. He is averaging 14.7 ppg over the last 3 games

Willie is averaging 12.7 ppg and 7 rpg over the last 3 games. He's also hit 21 of 28 ft's over the last 5 games.

I love watching these 2 play.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With all the talk (and desevedly so) being centered on Kevin's game, shot, and resurgence we haven't had much talk about Kwamain or even Wille.

Kwamain was fantastic down the stretch, almost just putting the team on his shoulders during the final overtime. He knew that Richmond was tired and just took it upon himself to get to the hole. We are a much different team when he is on the floor. He is averaging 14.7 ppg over the last 3 games

Willie is averaging 12.7 ppg and 7 rpg over the last 3 games. He's also hit 21 of 28 ft's over the last 5 games.

Rightfully pointed out. Kwamain clearly is willing to be the guy who takes the shot when we need to score. In thinking about next year, my concern would have been who will be the go to guy, we know the answer this year! Willie is not playing as a freshman, give him twenty pounds over the summer and we will see the best returning groups of starters in willie, conklin and mitchell than we have had in a long time...

Rightfully pointed out. Kwamain clearly is willing to be the guy who takes the shot when we need to score. In thinking about next year, my concern would have been who will be the go to guy, we know the answer this year! Willie is not playing as a freshman, give him twenty pounds over the summer and we will see the best returning groups of starters in willie, conklin and mitchell than we have had in a long time...

I'll be shocked if we see Willie add 20lbs of muscle over 1 summer. I'll be happy with 10 and 25lbs over the next 3 summers. One thing I don't want to do is change who Willie is or the style he plays.

I'll be shocked if we see Willie add 20lbs of muscle over 1 summer. I'll be happy with 10 and 25lbs over the next 3 summers. One thing I don't want to do is change who Willie is or the style he plays.

Agree to a point, but the biggest factor in Willie's future game will be how much stronger he gets. He's shown great touch around the rim and has already improved his FT shooting significantly. I think 30 lbs over the next three seasons is very doable. Some of it will come from hard work in the gym and some from general maturation.

Any way you put it, the next few years will be very exciting for Billiken fans. We'll have more interior talent than we've probably ever had, a great point guard, and likely a very deep roster. These are things that few recent Billiken teams have had, especially the depth.

Agree on all counts. My only concern with Kwamain is that on every drive to the hole he ends up on the floor. Sometimes he is hit, sometimes he isn't. Love the effort but it only takes one bad landing to screw your shoulder up pretty good. Stay healthy Kwamian.

Agree to a point, but the biggest factor in Willie's future game will be how much stronger he gets. He's shown great touch around the rim and has already improved his FT shooting significantly. I think 30 lbs over the next three seasons is very doable. Some of it will come from hard work in the gym and some from general maturation.

Any way you put it, the next few years will be very exciting for Billiken fans. We'll have more interior talent than we've probably ever had, a great point guard, and likely a very deep roster. These are things that few recent Billiken teams have had, especially the depth.

Your 30 and my 25 are pretty close. The first thing Willie needs to work on is the stength in his hands and forearms. What I don't want him to do is lose 1 milisecond of quickness.

Your 30 and my 25 are pretty close. The first thing Willie needs to work on is the stength in his hands and forearms. What I don't want him to do is lose 1 milisecond of quickness.

Very true, just think 30 is the minimum threshold.

If his weight gain is coming from the weight room and not Gries cafeteria, I wouldn't think his quickness would be slowed any.

I am extremely impressed with both of these players--the amazing part is that as freshmen they are head and shoulders better than the two seniors that they replaced.

My daughter and I watched the game together on Sunday and we each felt that KM is playing like a veteran and Willie has the chance to be a great player by the time he is a senior, particularly when he is surrounded by highly athletic players like Smith and Remekun and tough guys like Ellis and Conklin. With a slimmed down Thompson, by the time these guys are juniors and Remekun is off of his redshirt year I think we may have the collective best group of inside players in the modern era of the program.

With Reid, our tough Aussie combo guard, Femi, and Cassity, led by KM and possibly another outstanding point guard who would be a freshman at that point, we could have a deep athletic and very hard nosed team that will be tough to beat.

I love watching Kwamain Mitchell in a Billikens uni. It's been awhile since we have had point guard of this caliber. He's much better at running the offense than Marque who struck me more as a 2 guard in a point guard's body (although I loved Marque as well). Probably have to go back to David Burns for a Billikens comparable. I'm sure somebody on the board will come up with a player I missed.

Guest BillikenReport

Willie had seven offensive rebounds yesterday. He's only going to get bigger and stronger. One of the best things about Willie is he wants to get coaching and wants to get better.

Willie had seven offensive rebounds yesterday. He's only going to get bigger and stronger. One of the best things about Willie is he wants to get coaching and wants to get better.

And that can't be understated. Mitchell was not a point guard all that long ago in his prep days. But he learned a new position and is still learning a new position.

Kwamian Mitchell wasn't always a point guard. He learned the point guard position. He showed a willingness to learn new things and to be coached and to change.

That's not correct at all. Mitchell was a pg in high school and was recruited specifically to play the point, so it's not as if he was moved this year and is learning a new position on the go.

That's not correct at all. Mitchell was a pg in high school and was recruited specifically to play the point, so it's not as if he was moved this year and is learning a new position on the go.

Actually it is correct, Mitchell switched to the position during his prep years. No, he didn't switch to the position this year at SLU, but he did in order to increase his college opportunities as a prep and AAU player, yes.

Actually it is correct, Mitchell switched to the position during his prep years. No, he didn't switch to the position this year at SLU, but he did in order to increase his college opportunities as a prep and AAU player, yes.

While I don't want to discount what KM has been able to do as a freshman point guard because its a difficult enough position for upperclassmen, KM sliding over to play his natural position, the point, after his freshman or sophomore seasons in high school does not exactly make him Skip Schumaker.

Its all semantics. I looked back at some of Nate's recruiting articles on him and early on he was described as a combo guard but by midway through his summer year he was described as a point guard. He clearly played PG his senior year in high school so its not like this season is his first facing a press.

I do think the decrease in turnovers he had at the beginning of the season as compared to lately can likely be attributed to him getting more experience at the D1 level of PG.

Its all semantics. I looked back at some of Nate's recruiting articles on him and early on he was described as a combo guard but by midway through his summer year he was described as a point guard. He clearly played PG his senior year in high school so its not like this season is his first facing a press.

I do think the decrease in turnovers he had at the beginning of the season as compared to lately can likely be attributed to him getting more experience at the D1 level of PG.

Agree on the turnover comment. Just needed a little experience against bigger, faster, smarter players. I think almost everyone on this board said at the beginning of the year that Mitchell had the potential to be really good if he could cut down on the boneheaded turnovers. I thought it would take most of a year, but he turned it around really quick. As you can see, he is already a stud. Can't wait to see him next year after he spends the offseason in the gym working on his outside shot.

It will be interesting to see how both Willie and Mitchell finish the year. The pounding they take in the games and in practice is unchartered waters. I know for the first time in a long time I am excited to find out.

Davola-put a muzzle on your boy or I will have to come after both of you. I aint afraid of clowns!

It will be interesting to see how both Willie and Mitchell finish the year. The poudning they take in the games and in practice is unchattered waters. I know for the first time in a long time I am excited to find out.

Davola-put a muzzle on your boy or I will have to come after both of you. I aint afraid of clowns!

Talk all you want, but you won't be able to stand by halftime tomorrow night after you have your 3 Wine Coolers. One haymaker and you're toast. See you in 108 . . .

While I don't want to discount what KM has been able to do as a freshman point guard because its a difficult enough position for upperclassmen, KM sliding over to play his natural position, the point, after his freshman or sophomore seasons in high school does not exactly make him Skip Schumaker.

The point isn't his natural position, and he wasn't a true point guard in prep or AAU ball for most of his time prior to attending SLU. He's still learning some aspects of the position.

No offense to Whitefish Bay Dominican, but he didn't learn a lot there to help with this transistion. He did at Playground Warriors, and he is still learning to be a true point guard.

Mitchell was a score first two guard, then combo guard, prior to switching to a point guard for SLU.

And he's doing well, not unexpectedly. He works as hard or harder than anyone on the team. He'll be increasing his shooting range and consistency, as well as FT's, improving his left hand, and defense, lots of upside. His assist to turnover ratio is better than hoped and expected at this point and will only improve.

The point isn't his natural position, and he wasn't a true point guard in prep or AAU ball for most of his time prior to attending SLU. He's still learning some aspects of the position.

No offense to Whitefish Bay Dominican, but he didn't learn a lot there to help with this transistion. He did at Playground Warriors, and he is still learning to be a true point guard.

Mitchell was a score first two guard, then combo guard, prior to switching to a point guard for SLU.

And he's doing well, not unexpectedly. He works as hard or harder than anyone on the team. He'll be increasing his shooting range and consistency, as well as FT's, improving his left hand, and defense, lots of upside. His assist to turnover ratio is better than hoped and expected at this point and will only improve.

i dont know how you can make what appears to be a stupid statement like "he wasn't a true point guard". maybe some bone headed aau coach played his son at the point guard instead of mitchell, but this kid is such a natural point guard to believe or insinuate he isnt a point guard is nuts. you need to get off this debate before you really damage your credibility any more.