Our Offense Next Year

moytoy12

I'm just curious to get people's thoughts on how our offense will improve next year. TL and KL are have talent but haven't been able to carry to offense for this team. Next season, we'll bring in some freshmen that look to be talented, but presumably won't be able to provide what KL and TL are providing because they are freshmen and even good freshmen will have trouble duplicating what average to below average seniors are doing.

How do we expect to improve on the offensive end? I guess one thought is that KM will be a stud pg, either Reid or Salecich will be able to provide an outside presence, but who is our third option (which is what this team is really lacking right now). Will it be Femi in the slasher role? BT or WR with an offseason to improve down low? Ellis as a freshman?

As poor as we look on offense right now, and boy, I noticed last night that KL really disrupted the offensive flow, it appears it could be a lot worse next year.

Thoughts?

Disclaimer: This is not a bash RM post.

I'm just curious to get people's thoughts on how our offense will improve next year. TL and KL are have talent but haven't been able to carry to offense for this team. Next season, we'll bring in some freshmen that look to be talented, but presumably won't be able to provide what KL and TL are providing because they are freshmen and even good freshmen will have trouble duplicating what average to below average seniors are doing.

How do we expect to improve on the offensive end? I guess one thought is that KM will be a stud pg, either Reid or Salecich will be able to provide an outside presence, but who is our third option (which is what this team is really lacking right now). Will it be Femi in the slasher role? BT or WR with an offseason to improve down low? Ellis as a freshman?

As poor as we look on offense right now, and boy, I noticed last night that KL really disrupted the offensive flow, it appears it could be a lot worse next year.

Thoughts?

Disclaimer: This is not a bash RM post.

Kwamain is already a stud and he'll likely be our leading scorer next year, but I think it all kind of depends on how much Willie, BC, and BT progress from this year to the next. If we can get legit inside scoring from them, I'll be much more confident in the team's offense.

I think it's pretty evident that freshman bigs have a much more difficult time adjusting to college ball than guards, so this year, the majority of our scoring is on the perimeter. Next year, although we lose KL and TL, we should be significantly better at scoring in the paint and the freshman guards (including Femi) can provide an additional boost.

Honestly, and I hope people don't take this as a shot at KL and TL, but I think we'll be better. Too often, the frosh stand around waiting for those two to make things happen, whereas next year, we'll have more talent from top to bottom (albeit with less experience) than we may have ever had, which should provide a lot of balanced scoring.

Kwamain is already a stud and he'll likely be our leading scorer next year, but I think it all kind of depends on how much Willie, BC, and BT progress from this year to the next. If we can get legit inside scoring from them, I'll be much more confident in the team's offense.

I think it's pretty evident that freshman bigs have a much more difficult time adjusting to college ball than guards, so this year, the majority of our scoring is on the perimeter. Next year, although we lose KL and TL, we should be significantly better at scoring in the paint and the freshman guards (including Femi) can provide an additional boost.

Honestly, and I hope people don't take this as a shot at KL and TL, but I think we'll be better. Too often, the frosh stand around waiting for those two to make things happen, whereas next year, we'll have more talent from top to bottom (albeit with less experience) than we may have ever had, which should provide a lot of balanced scoring.

You also have to remember that these Aussies aren't like most recruits in the sense that by playing on an international stage, their learning curve and adjustment period won't be as long. It's feasible that these guys could make an immediate impact and come in ahead of most of the other recruits.

You also have to remember that these Aussies aren't like most recruits in the sense that by playing on an international stage, their learning curve and adjustment period won't be as long. It's feasible that these guys could make an immediate impact and come in ahead of most of the other recruits.

SShoe, I think it's a fair point about KL and TL. While they have the talent, they just aren't mixing with this Majerus offense very well (perhaps for a number of reasons). I noticed last night that our offense (as best as I could decipher what we are trying to accomplish) bogged down when TL and KL got the ball. They really disrupted the flow.

Band, good point on the Aussies. This roster next year should be loaded with talent and hopefully some guys that fit the Majerus system a little better.

pg: KM

sg/backup pg: KC, Reid, PE

sg/SF: Femi, Salecich

SF/PF: J. Smith

PF: BC, WR, Ellis

C: BT

Redshirt: Remekun

SShoe, I think it's a fair point about KL and TL. While they have the talent, they just aren't mixing with this Majerus offense very well (perhaps for a number of reasons). I noticed last night that our offense (as best as I could decipher what we are trying to accomplish) bogged down when TL and KL got the ball. They really disrupted the flow.

Band, good point on the Aussies. This roster next year should be loaded with talent and hopefully some guys that fit the Majerus system a little better.

You look at that list and what strikes me most is the balance. Including Remekun, you have 6 bigs - 3 of which are typical bigger framed tough type big men (BT, BC, Ellis) and 3 of which are long, tall, athletic (WR, Smith, Remekun). We'll be able to throw a lot of different looks at our opponents with that kind of mix and balance.

I agree with Band on the Aussies. Based on that, I will say that I see the rotation being something more like this:

pg:KM

sg/backup pg: Salecich, KC, PE

sg/sf: Femi, Reid, KC

sf/pf: BC, Smith

pf: Ellis, BC, Smith

C: WR, BT

From everything I've heard, Salecich can play some point, so I imagine he'll play some minutes there when KM is not. I'm not sold that Kyle can do it. I've also got it in my head that Ellis will be the cats meow and will be able to play immediately. Supposedly he also has the ability to shoot from the outside a little. I think it's possible that we'll see a lot of big lineups with BC playing some 3, Ellis playing at the 4, and WR/BT at the 5. For once, I believe SLU will have more talent on the interior than the exterior.

To me, the biggest ? will be who steps in to the SG and to some extent the SF spot. Majerus has been raving about Femi lately, but if Cassity can hit the outside ball (his form suggests he will eventually), he becomes pretty valuable. And who knows how good Salecich or Reid really are.

I agree with Band on the Aussies. Based on that, I will say that I see the rotation being something more like this:

From everything I've heard, Salecich can play some point, so I imagine he'll play some minutes there when KM is not. I'm not sold that Kyle can do it. I've also got it in my head that Ellis will be the cats meow and will be able to play immediately. Supposedly he also has the ability to shoot from the outside a little. I think it's possible that we'll see a lot of big lineups with BC playing some 3, Ellis playing at the 4, and WR/BT at the 5. For once, I believe SLU will have more talent on the interior than the exterior.

To me, the biggest ? will be who steps in to the SG and to some extent the SF spot. Majerus has been raving about Femi lately, but if Cassity can hit the outside ball (his form suggests he will eventually), he becomes pretty valuable. And who knows how good Salecich or Reid really are.

If Ellis and BC can be somewhat of a threat to hit that 8-12 footer, that should really open up the offense. I think year 3 will be BT's breakout year, but the kid has some moves down low. If BT and WR can give us more down low and we have some mid-range game from Ellis and BC, this offense should be much more dynamic.

Kwamain will be a major scorer before it's all said and done, if not next year. He shot 90% from FT in high school, and though that hasn't been reflected yet in college, expect him to take over KL's role as the run around and get fouled guy at the end of the game for the next three years. I wouldn't be surprised if he tops KL and TL's season high scoring averages next year, given the previous presumption. These freshmen will really shine next year when they don't feel the need to defer to KL and TL. They're starting to do so now.

You look at that list and what strikes me most is the balance. Including Remekun, you have 6 bigs - 3 of which are typical bigger framed tough type big men (BT, BC, Ellis) and 3 of which are long, tall, athletic (WR, Smith, Remekun). We'll be able to throw a lot of different looks at our opponents with that kind of mix and balance.

Ha! I totally forgot we got Ellis since I was on vacation off planet when all that went down. I'm not worried about next year AT ALL.

I completely agree with your post Shoe. We will have a lot of depth inside and a lot of options on the perimeter as well. I think we could really use a long athletic big guard (2/3) that can slash to the basket and create his own shot. This is where Femi could potentially come into play. He would seem to give us something that we are lacking, so hopefully he is able to live up to the praise he has been receiving of late from Majerus. It will certainly be nice to have depth throughout the roster and it will give Majerus plenty of options. There will be a lot of competition this coming fall. I was watching Saint Mary's last night and I am starting to get really excited about these Aussies we have coming in.

I completely agree with your post Shoe. We will have a lot of depth inside and a lot of options on the perimeter as well. I think we could really use a long athletic big guard (2/3) that can slash to the basket and create his own shot. This is where Femi could potentially come into play. He would seem to give us something that we are lacking, so hopefully he is able to live up to the praise he has been receiving of late from Majerus. It will certainly be nice to have depth throughout the roster and it will give Majerus plenty of options. There will be a lot of competition this coming fall. I was watching Saint Mary's last night and I am starting to get really excited about these Aussies we have coming in.

If the big men that need to work HARD in the gym over the summer and the guards that need to work HARD on their shot over the summer, we're going to be one of the most talented young teams in the country, I think. I mean maybe not top 5, but more talented than any Bills team that we ever dreamed of. For the first time we'll have EVERY kind of player. Speedy PG that can shoot, pass, break the press, etc. Multiple shooters. Quick, hard-nosed defenders. Long, athletic forwards. Big bangers. Willie Reed. Etc. I just feel bad that KL and TL didn't have Majerus all 4 years.

I just feel bad that KL and TL didn't have Majerus all 4 years.

nobama just declared torture was no longer going to be allowed. i would bet that our 618 duo would not agree with you.

nobama just declared torture was no longer going to be allowed. i would bet that our 618 duo would not agree with you.

I'm wondering why the Lisch's voluntarily subjected Daniel to such torture. Do you think KL's offensive dropoff this year is RM's fault?

Roy, I see no reason why Majerus and those two couldn't coexist for four years or even thrive under his system. I've heard some suggest that their style of play doesn't match Majerus' or that their personalities don't mesh, etc. I think it simply comes down to the fact that Majerus' system needs 1.) An inside threat, and 2.) More than two good players. Had Majerus been here for 4 years w/ Lisch and Liddell, I truly believe they would have had the sufficient help needed to be a great team and nobody would be complaining.

You've said that you think those two would start and be the focal points on almost every team in the country and I agree that they'd likely start, but they'd be just good piece of a larger puzzle, not the primary focal point. As much as I like them, Kevin isn't Steph Curry and Tommie isn't Jerel McNeal (and even Jerel McNeal has a great surrounding cast). Kevin and Tommie needed help and they never got it. I don't think it's any coincidence that their best year was with Ian.

Roy, I see no reason why Majerus and those two couldn't coexist for four years or even thrive under his system. I've heard some suggest that their style of play doesn't match Majerus' or that their personalities don't mesh, etc. I think it simply comes down to the fact that Majerus' system needs 1.) An inside threat, and 2.) More than two good players. Had Majerus been here for 4 years w/ Lisch and Liddell, I truly believe they would have had the sufficient help needed to be a great team and nobody would be complaining.

You've said that you think those two would start and be the focal points on almost every team in the country and I agree that they'd likely start, but they'd be just good piece of a larger puzzle, not the primary focal point. As much as I like them, Kevin isn't Steph Curry and Tommie isn't Jerel McNeal (and even Jerel McNeal has a great surrounding cast). Kevin and Tommie needed help and they never got it. I don't think it's any coincidence that their best year was with Ian.

I certainly agree with your second paragraph, I tend to disagree with the 1st paragraph. I am pretty certain Tommie would not have come to SLU had Majerus been the head coach and if he did he likely would have transferred out relatively quickly. Kevin may have still come here and probably would have stuck it out, but it is clear from all who are close to the situation that he and Coach Majerus are not a good fit on or off the court.

I certainly agree with your second paragraph, I tend to disagree with the 1st paragraph. I am pretty certain Tommie would not have come to SLU had Majerus been the head coach and if he did he likely would have transferred out relatively quickly. Kevin may have still come here and probably would have stuck it out, but it is clear from all who are close to the situation that he and Coach Majerus are not a good fit on or off the court.

I disagree. I agree with both paragraphs. I especially disagree about RM and TL off the court. I think TL knows RM is hard on him and respects it. Before RM got here he was showing up late for meetings etc... he tried it with RM and quickly found out it wouldn't work. TL is a better player and probably a more disciplined person due to RM, and I bet Tommie knows it. If TL wouldn't have been a good fit with RM .... how do we possibly believe Femi will help?

I disagree. I agree with both paragraphs. I especially disagree about RM and TL off the court. I think TL knows RM is hard on him and respects it. Before RM got here he was showing up late for meetings etc... he tried it with RM and quickly found out it wouldn't work. TL is a better player and probably a more disciplined person due to RM, and I bet Tommie knows it. If TL wouldn't have been a good fit with RM .... how do we possibly believe Femi will help?

Respecting the man and wanting to play for him are two different things. Tommie and Kevin had options; if they knew what they were getting into they might not have signed here, particularly Tommie. He showed up late for a few meetings with Brad, and he also had to sit (at least for the start of) some games. It wasn't all the time, though. I also don't understand why you think Femi and Tommie go hand-in-hand. Why single out Femi? Why not any of the other guys?

Respecting the man and wanting to play for him are two different things. Tommie and Kevin had options; if they knew what they were getting into they might not have signed here, particularly Tommie. He showed up late for a few meetings with Brad, and he also had to sit (at least for the start of) some games. It wasn't all the time, though. I also don't understand why you think Femi and Tommie go hand-in-hand. Why single out Femi? Why not any of the other guys?

I was responding to off the court, but I'm not sure why people without insight like to make assumptions like that.

Have you seen him play? I didn't say they go hand in hand, but to insinuate that TL's style wouldn't fit would also mean Femi's wouldn't. He's an athletic slasher type player who coming in needed to work on his jumper. No they aren't the exact same players, but they play in the same type of mold.

I was responding to off the court, but I'm not sure why people without insight like to make assumptions like that.

Have you seen him play? I didn't say they go hand in hand, but to insinuate that TL's style wouldn't fit would also mean Femi's wouldn't. He's an athletic slasher type player who coming in needed to work on his jumper. No they aren't the exact same players, but they play in the same type of mold.

I know you were responding to off-the-court; I was too. Why do you assume you were responding to someone with no insight? Do you believe you have an insight into the RM-TL relationship that other posters do not?

The fact that you were responding to off the court issues is what made me question singling out Femi. I didn't realize you shifted to their playing styles. Your whole argument was about TL being a good fit with Majerus based on personalities and their relationship, so I assumed you still were talking about that.

If the whole point is that TL's play might be affected negatively by his relationship with Majerus, then asking how Femi will help us is not the same thing. Femi is a different player with a different personality. Maybe he and Rick work together better, I don't know. As incoming college freshmen, though, Tommie was a better player, so unless Femi is a late bloomer or develops rapidly under Rick, people would just be wishful to think he'll be a better player than Tommie when all is said and done.

I know you were responding to off-the-court; I was too. Why do you assume you were responding to someone with no insight? Do you believe you have an insight into the RM-TL relationship that other posters do not?

The fact that you were responding to off the court issues is what made me question singling out Femi. I didn't realize you shifted to their playing styles. Your whole argument was about TL being a good fit with Majerus based on personalities and their relationship, so I assumed you still were talking about that.

If the whole point is that TL's play might be affected negatively by his relationship with Majerus, then asking how Femi will help us is not the same thing. Femi is a different player with a different personality. Maybe he and Rick work together better, I don't know. As incoming college freshmen, though, Tommie was a better player, so unless Femi is a late bloomer or develops rapidly under Rick, people would just be wishful to think he'll be a better player than Tommie when all is said and done.

Let me cut this debate off real quick because I am 99% certain it is based upon a typo. Skip, correct me if I am wrong, but I believe your intent was only to compare Tommie and Femi on the court, not off.

Let me cut this debate off real quick because I am 99% certain it is based upon a typo. Skip, correct me if I am wrong, but I believe your intent was only to compare Tommie and Femi on the court, not off.

I guess I'm posting like basketball country and not proofreading

I was comparing Femi to Tommie on the court ... not necessarily skill level, but style of player, because it has been insinuated on here that Tommie's style doesn't fit Majerus's system.

I don't know if you have insight or not, my point was that I'd be shocked if anyone of us really knows what Tommie thinks of RM. I've seen them interact and I've seen what on the outside appears to be a maturation in Tommie, that in my unsupported opinion was helped along by RM demanding he be more disciplined. I doubt you know whether or not Tommie would have played for RM had he had the option as an incomming freshman so imo the insinuation that he wouldn't have shouldn't be made by anyone that posts here.

If I appeared to insinuate, actually wrote, or even thought anything else ... it was a mistake.