For all the Guy Phillips fans out there...

Box and Won

I was always under the impression that the PA person's job was to announce important aspects of the game like who fouled who for example not be Henny Youngman. Do you really think the PA announcer at the Cards games would get away with making jokes during the game and poking fun at fans who find themselves picked for some dumb contest? - I doubt it.

cheeseman is spot on. I've never heard a PA announcer who brought so much attention to himself. It's so unprofessional that I'm almost embarrased for him sometimes.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't recall any mistakes by the game clock operator. However, during one game this year, the refs had to disrupt the actual flow of the game to correct errant shot-clock setting. I don't recall ever seeing that happen in a college game.

Further, the point I was making is that all of these people are chosen and employed by the Saint Louis University athletic department. The sheer aggregate number of errors across all disciplines should be causing someone in the athletic department to crack down and demand a higher standard of performance.

Then you have not been to or watched many basketball games. This happens all the time, even with the biggest, most sophisticated programs and in the NBA. Certain shots from the shot clock operator's point of view look like they will hit the rim and could be off left or right enough to miss everything; when the shot clock guy's hand is on the trigger at all times, it's nearly impossible not to anticipate some shots, and occasionally they get it wrong. As long as one official notices, it's not a big deal.

Secondly, the people who do these game functions are not all employed by SLU's athletic department; most of them just do the games and have no other jobs for the AD. Their pay is minimal and may come in the form of tickets or a check at the end of the season. Even if SLU broke the bank on something like scoreboard and shot clock operators, you would see no difference in performance.

Finally, the thing most people seem to have an issue with are the player stats during the game. Like I said before, this is not an 'official' function, and is probably being done by someone in a separate control room, not at the table. Since this is just for in-house fans, it probably isn't taken too seriously by whomever is in charge of it.

So you are arguing that Brittney Spears and Guy Phillips are the same...? And you are critical of MY argument? :) Wow - now that is out there.

You need to actually read what I said. I said both are successful and neither is very bright. The similarities end there. Your argument that success is indicative of intellegence has thus been disproven.

Thanks for playing,

Rich

Then you have not been to or watched many basketball games. This happens all the time, even with the biggest, most sophisticated programs and in the NBA. Certain shots from the shot clock operator's point of view look like they will hit the rim and could be off left or right enough to miss everything; when the shot clock guy's hand is on the trigger at all times, it's nearly impossible not to anticipate some shots, and occasionally they get it wrong. As long as one official notices, it's not a big deal.

Secondly, the people who do these game functions are not all employed by SLU's athletic department; most of them just do the games and have no other jobs for the AD. Their pay is minimal and may come in the form of tickets or a check at the end of the season. Even if SLU broke the bank on something like scoreboard and shot clock operators, you would see no difference in performance.

Finally, the thing most people seem to have an issue with are the player stats during the game. Like I said before, this is not an 'official' function, and is probably being done by someone in a separate control room, not at the table. Since this is just for in-house fans, it probably isn't taken too seriously by whomever is in charge of it.

We understand that the scoreboard is just for in-house fans. To suggest that the person who's in charge of it doesn't take it seriously explains the problem. The fact that SLU hasn't done anything about it in at least 5 or 6 years is ludicrous. I am taking Alumni's advice and emailing SLU regarding the issue. We'll see if it's corrected, I would find IMPOSSIBLE to believe they don't realize there is a problem.

We understand that the scoreboard is just for in-house fans. To suggest that the person who's in charge of it doesn't take it seriously explains the problem. The fact that SLU hasn't done anything about it in at least 5 or 6 years is ludicrous. I am taking Alumni's advice and emailing SLU regarding the issue. We'll see if it's corrected, I would find IMPOSSIBLE to believe they don't realize there is a problem.

They very well might realize it, but part of my point was this might be a person who works for Comcast, the building manager, and not SLU. The scorers table is manned by SLU, but maybe not the scoreboard player stat guy.

They very well might realize it, but part of my point was this might be a person who works for Comcast, the building manager, and not SLU. The scorers table is manned by SLU, but maybe not the scoreboard player stat guy.

You may be right, but this is not a new problem to Chaifitz. We had the same problem at the whatever the hell you call the old place. It's been a joke with the fans who sat around me for at least 5 or 6 years. Even if it's someone else's responsibility, Chaifitz's is SLU's arena ... I find it hard to believe we can't demand they keep the scoreboard correct during the game. One game, ok. Two games, not good. 100 games, I don't know the word.

i have quit using the video screens and the scorer's table graphics during the game unless i want to see a replay or watch the kiss cam. for statistical purposes i have just accepted they are worthless.

if that changes, someone please post here that the stats during the game are now relevant so i can again start looking at the boards for more than the score.

i have quit using the video screens and the scorer's table graphics during the game unless i want to see a replay or watch the kiss cam. for statistical purposes i have just accepted they are worthless.

if that changes, someone please post here that the stats during the game are now relevant so i can again start looking at the boards for more than the score.

-this it is part of the game experience and the ath dept needs to find a way to fix it

-or turn off the darn thing and only keep track of fouls, but i cannot see how this one could be so hard to correct, but obvioulsy it is

-and turning it off would send a real bad message to your fans...so fix it

-are the same issues in play at women's games???

-we spend millions on the video/score boards and can't get them to work

-at least the free programs are a nice touch!!!!

-this it is part of the game experience and the ath dept needs to find a way to fix it

-or turn off the darn thing and only keep track of fouls, but i cannot see how this one could be so hard to correct, but obvioulsy it is

-and turning it off would send a real bad message to your fans...so fix it

-are the same issues in play at women's games???

-we spend millions on the video/score boards and can't get them to work

-at least the free programs are a nice touch!!!!

I was at the women's game yesterday and there was some questioning by the officals about the clock.

By the way I implore you to see the women play. They play hard and T. Lisch might be the best player male or female to wear Billiken Blue.