OT - BCS football

slufanskip

Just curious on peoples thoughts on the NCAA football controversy. How would you rank the top 8 if you were in charge of deciding which 8 go to a playoff.

I'm a bit torn, I can see OU's and UT's argument. UT want's to say they should go because they beat OU, but if we're using that analogy then TT goes as they beat UT ... oh wait no, OU goes because they beat TT .... no wait UT goes, they beat OU.

The entire system sucks .... you have coaches voting who have alliegences to other coaches, you have writers voting with ties to schools, and various computer polls with secret formulas.

Here would be my vote.

1. OU .... Yes Texas beat them, but I think OU is playing the best football right now and they have the highest point differential using common oponents between UT, TT, and OU.

2. UT ... The Big 12 is the best league and I think either UT or OU beat Fla. They also beat OU which imo is the #1 team.

3. Fla ... The best in the next best conference.

4. USC .... Playing good right now.

5. Alabama ... I could have just as easily given this spot to Penn St or TT.

6. TT ... One loss and a victory over UT

7. Penn State ... the best of a weak Big 10

8. Utah ... lets give the little boys a shot.

1st round pairings OU-Utah, UT-PSU, UF-TT, USC-Bama. All games to be played at current Bowl sites with all being neutral.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious on peoples thoughts on the NCAA football controversy. How would you rank the top 8 if you were in charge of deciding which 8 go to a playoff.

I'm a bit torn, I can see OU's and UT's argument. UT want's to say they should go because they beat OU, but if we're using that analogy then TT goes as they beat UT ... oh wait no, OU goes because they beat TT .... no wait UT goes, they beat OU.

The entire system sucks .... you have coaches voting who have alliegences to other coaches, you have writers voting with ties to schools, and various computer polls with secret formulas.

Here would be my vote.

1. OU .... Yes Texas beat them, but I think OU is playing the best football right now and they have the highest point differential using common oponents between UT, TT, and OU.

2. UT ... The Big 12 is the best league and I think either UT or OU beat Fla. They also beat OU which imo is the #1 team.

1st round pairings OU-Utah, UT-PSU, UF-TT, USC-Bama. All games to be played at current Bowl sites with all being neutral.

1. UT

2. OU

3. USC

4. TT

5. Fla

6. Alabama

7. Penn st.

8. Utah

Here would be my vote.

Florida is number 1 in my book. Tebow for Heisman.

1. Florida

2. USC

After that who cares!!!HA HA HA , Fight On!!and Go Gators!!

Tebow should have wrapped up the Heisman Saturday.All they have to do is show that speech.

One real shame is that Chase Daniel could be an All- American,but only be honorable mention in the Big 12.

3. Texas

4. Alabama

5.Oklahoma

6.Boise State

7. Penn State

8.Utah

1. Florida

2. USC

After that who cares!!!HA HA HA , Fight On!!and Go Gators!!

Tebow should have wrapped up the Heisman Saturday.All they have to do is show that speech.

One real shame is that Chase Daniel could be an All- American,but only be honorable mention in the Big 12.

3. Texas

4. Alabama

5.Oklahoma

6.Boise State

7. Penn State

8.Utah

I didn't have much against Florida until watching them at the end of the game against 'bama, I really hope they get crushed (but it should be a great game).

Haven't watched enough Tebow to judge, but what type of pro QB will he make?

Heard some commentators think Tebow may not be well suited for the NFL,saying he`ll have to line up behind the center,but as for college,I don`t think I can remember anyone with more heart and passion.He makes the rest of the team feel they must play at the same level,a true leader of men,just something that can`t be taught.

Heard some commentators think Tebow may not be well suited for the NFL,saying he`ll have to line up behind the center,but as for college,I don`t think I can remember anyone with more heart and passion.He makes the rest of the team feel they must play at the same level,a true leader of men,just something that can`t be taught.

I'm curious as to why you think he deserves the Heisman over Bradford or McCoy.

Here would be my vote.

The argument with having the games at bowls sites is that you are asking the fan bases of all 8 teams to travel to as many as 3 different locations in a 3 week span. Believe me, I'm all for a playoff, just stating the argument that will arise with the games being played in the current bowl sites. I guess they could try to keep everyone as close to home as possible.

i would love to see college football playoffs for the top division, however, folks need to keep in mind they will never get the fan base to travel for a month following the team to neutral sites. thus the thought of just dividing the bowls up as separate rounds of the playoff will not work. you might get the final two weeks to work, thus three neutral sites, but that might even be a tough pull to ask fans to party two weekends in a row.

Tebow won the Heisman last year,trying to do whatever ,whenever he could in winning the award,this year his stats aren`t what they were last season,but he is a better quarterback,or as many have said he is the best runningback in the college game.

Bradford`s stats are unreal,and with the highest scoring team ever that is expected.

My point is stats aren`t the only means to awarding the top player in the game.

Of course with Oklahoma scoring so fast and so often the numbers will be flawed,but OU played 3 games against the top 50 defenses(went to cfbstats.com for these numbers)#2 TCU,#26 Cincinnati,and the top ranked defense in the Big 12 Texas at #50.

Florida played 10 games against top 50 defenses,8 of those being SEC games.

I am biased,and I know it,but Tebow is the reinging king,and being the quarterback/Superman on the top team in the country,until someone knocks you off it is your award.

Aside from Herschel Walker I don`t know if I can remember a college football player that meant more to his team ever.

Like I said I am biased.

Tebow won the Heisman last year,trying to do whatever ,whenever he could in winning the award,this year his stats aren`t what they were last season,but he is a better quarterback,or as many have said he is the best runningback in the college game.

Bradford`s stats are unreal,and with the highest scoring team ever that is expected.

My point is stats aren`t the only means to awarding the top player in the game.

Of course with Oklahoma scoring so fast and so often the numbers will be flawed,but OU played 3 games against the top 50 defenses(went to cfbstats.com for these numbers)#2 TCU,#26 Cincinnati,and the top ranked defense in the Big 12 Texas at #50.

Florida played 10 games against top 50 defenses,8 of those being SEC games.

I am biased,and I know it,but Tebow is the reinging king,and being the quarterback/Superman on the top team in the country,until someone knocks you off it is your award.

Aside from Herschel Walker I don`t know if I can remember a college football player that meant more to his team ever.

Like I said I am biased.

Any chance OU has the highest scoring offense in the history of NCAA football largely because of Bradford? McCoy has a 77 or 78 percent completion percentage which I believe will be the highest in the history of the NCAA. Of course Big 12 teams don't have the highest ranked defenses they have to stop TT, OU, UT, OK St, and Mizzou's offenses. Had SEC teams faced those offenses they wouldn't have so many top ranked Defenses. Against #2 defense TCU, OU scored 35 points, Bradford was 19-34 for 411 yds 4 TD's and 0 int. Against #26 Defense Cinci OU scored 52 points, Bradford was 29 - 38 for 395 yards 5 TD's and 2 Int.

Bradford's Stat's 186.3 QB rating, 302-442 for 68.3%, 4464 yards, 10.1 yards per attempt, 343.4 yards per game, 48 TD's, 6 Int's

Who say's Tebow's the best RB in the college game? Tell them their drinking just has to stop. Tebow's good, but that statement is ridiculous.

UF will beat OU by 11. OU's D has been exposed on a few occasions. Tebow is one of the best College Players ever and will project to be a TE in the Pros. Bradford is the best pro prospect. McCoy and Daniels don't have the Pro body in my opinion.

The College System is a sham. I know as an Auburn Fan 83 and 04 both times AU was screwed.

16 team playoff is the way to go or 32 would be good too but they would probably cut the season by a few games.

Skip didn`t we do this when Reggie Bush won the Heisman?My problem is I watch SC and Florida games,so it`s Billiken basketball,and Trojan / Gator football for me.

Seems like your a Big 12 guy.

Each had tremendous seasons and worthy of winning,but there can only be one.

Will be interesting to see who ends up 1st/2nd team All-Americans.

Skip didn`t we do this when Reggie Bush won the Heisman?My problem is I watch SC and Florida games,so it`s Billiken basketball,and Trojan / Gator football for me.

Seems like your a Big 12 guy.

Each had tremendous seasons and worthy of winning,but there can only be one.

Will be interesting to see who ends up 1st/2nd team All-Americans.

No doubt we did. :) I am a Big 12 guy. We really need a playoff, even if only 8 teams.

UF will beat OU by 11. OU's D has been exposed on a few occasions. Tebow is one of the best College Players ever and will project to be a TE in the Pros. Bradford is the best pro prospect. McCoy and Daniels don't have the Pro body in my opinion.

The College System is a sham. I know as an Auburn Fan 83 and 04 both times AU was screwed.

16 team playoff is the way to go or 32 would be good too but they would probably cut the season by a few games.

I'll take that bet for a beer next time you're here or I'm down there. McCoy needs to put on weight, but he's staying at UT. I think Bradford will stay also. I'd assume Tebow will also stay. When was the last time the top 3 Heisman candidate's all returned.

OU's D has taken a big hit with injuries when Ryan Reynolds went down against UT they were giving up a decent 4.2 yds per play, it went to 8.3 after and UT went on a 25-3 run.

They've had time to recover and fill the hole. Austin Box will also be back for Fla game. Their worst showings were aganst K State and KU the 1st 2 games after the Reynolds injury. OU's D requires Reynolds to not only be the key player, but also to make the calls. They've settled in since giving up a total of 55 1st half points against their last 5 oponents, three of which have been some of the top offenses in college football this year. TT, Okie St and Mizzou. All the games but Okie State were over at halftime when many 2nd teamers played. Their defensive totals are misleading because most games are over at haltime.

OU's recent bowl success hasn't been good .... so we'll see.

Here would be my vote.

It's all subjective but I would take Texas Skip. All games count equally to me, whether in September or December. And, I'm not all that impressed that Sam Bradford and Oklahoma can throw passes in the fourth quarter of routes often times against back up units, as well as starting ball carriers and starting O-lines playing. I'm indifferent on running up the score. I just don't think it adds anything to OU's position. I also believe it's impossible to compare OU's number of points to other eras. I'm not a fan of comparing eras. Comparing to other teams of your era is fair because they playing field is level.

In the current system when you lose matters greatly as does running up style points.

It's all subjective but I would take Texas Skip. All games count equally to me, whether in September or December. And, I'm not all that impressed that Sam Bradford and Oklahoma can throw passes in the fourth quarter of routes often times against back up units, as well as starting ball carriers and starting O-lines playing. I'm indifferent on running up the score. I just don't think it adds anything to OU's position. I also believe it's impossible to compare OU's number of points to other eras. I'm not a fan of comparing eras. Comparing to other teams of your era is fair because they playing field is level.

In the current system when you lose matters greatly as does running up style points.

I'm the furthest thing from an OU fan, but you're just wrong about when OU was scoring points.

v. Missouri - 41 points in the first 3 quarters

v. OSU - 37 points in the first 3 quarters

v. TT - 58 points in the first 3 quarters

v. A&M - 66 points in the first 3 quarters

v. Neb. - 62 points in the first 3 quarters

v. K. St. - 55 points in the first half

v. Kan. - 38 points in the first 3 quarters

v. Tex - 28 points in the first 3 quarters

v. Bay - 42 points in the first 3 quarters

v. TCU - 28 points in the first half

v. Wash - 48 points in the first 3 quarters

v. Cincy - 42 points in the first 3 quarters

v. Chat - 57 points in the first 3 quarters

OU wasn't just running up style points, they were virtually unstoppable on offense especially late in the season.

I'm the furthest thing from an OU fan, but you're just wrong about when OU was scoring points.

v. Missouri - 41 points in the first 3 quarters

v. OSU - 37 points in the first 3 quarters

v. TT - 58 points in the first 3 quarters

v. A&M - 66 points in the first 3 quarters

v. Neb. - 62 points in the first 3 quarters

v. K. St. - 55 points in the first half

v. Kan. - 38 points in the first 3 quarters

v. Tex - 28 points in the first 3 quarters

v. Bay - 42 points in the first 3 quarters

v. TCU - 28 points in the first half

v. Wash - 48 points in the first 3 quarters

v. Cincy - 42 points in the first 3 quarters

v. Chat - 57 points in the first 3 quarters

OU wasn't just running up style points, they were virtually unstoppable on offense especially late in the season.

Actually I'm correct. Let's take a look at some rough examples.

First, on several occasions this season Stoops had to answer questions of running up the score. His post game quotes include, "That's just the way it goes."

He routinely played starters on both sides of the ball deep into games when games were well out of hand.

1) V Chattanooga, he was criticized for keeping all starters in the game when up 50-0 in the 2nd half.

2) Sam Bradford throwing passes, including a tack on score against UC when OU already up 25 points late in 3rd quarter.

3) Bradford throwing 64 yard td pass while OU up 35 late in 3rd quarter.

4) He fired passes left and right with his starting QB late v Nebraska up by 24.

5) Up 31 points late in 3rd quarter, more TD passes for Bradford, v Texas A&M.

6) Up by 44 points, more TD passes for Bradford in the 4th quarter v Texas Tech.

7) Up by 45 points v Mizzou, all starters in the game, including Bradford.

He routinely kept his top running backs in games well out of reach.

3rd v 4th quarter has nothing to do with anything. There is no 3rd quarter rule. And, most of those 3rd quarter scores you mentioned happened at the end of the 3rd quarter, and much more importantly with all starters on the field, sometimes going against back up players against the opposition. And, you ommitted the 4th quarter scores, as in all 21 just this past week alone

He routinely kept his starting defense in games late to protect the score differential. He routinely kept Bradford in games in the 4th quarter up by several touchdowns against lesser opponents.

As I said, I am indifferent about whether Stoops runs up scores or not, but let's at least be truthful and factual and objective about it. He was routinely questioned and criticized fairly after several games this season about doing so. He routinely kept his starters in at all positions late into games, or even the whole game, in games well out of reach.

Stoops played within the rules, and ran up scores for "style" points, and he kept starters in games late to better control the score on both sides of the ball. Those are facts.

My reasoning subjectively for picking Texas is simple. The schedules weren't significantly different and when it comes down to the three teams, Texas had a better showing overall in its two games than the other two.

Actually I'm correct. Let's take a look at some rough examples.

First, on several occasions this season Stoops had to answer questions of running up the score. His post game quotes include, "That's just the way it goes."

He routinely played starters on both sides of the ball deep into games when games were well out of hand.

1) V Chattanooga, he was criticized for keeping all starters in the game when up 50-0 in the 2nd half.

2) Sam Bradford throwing passes, including a tack on score against UC when OU already up 25 points late in 3rd quarter.

3) Bradford throwing 64 yard td pass while OU up 35 late in 3rd quarter.

4) He fired passes left and right with his starting QB late v Nebraska up by 24.

5) Up 31 points late in 3rd quarter, more TD passes for Bradford, v Texas A&M.

6) Up by 44 points, more TD passes for Bradford in the 4th quarter v Texas Tech.

7) Up by 45 points v Mizzou, all starters in the game, including Bradford.

He routinely kept his top running backs in games well out of reach.

3rd v 4th quarter has nothing to do with anything. There is no 3rd quarter rule. And, most of those 3rd quarter scores you mentioned happened at the end of the 3rd quarter, and much more importantly with all starters on the field, sometimes going against back up players against the opposition. And, you ommitted the 4th quarter scores, as in all 21 just this past week alone

He routinely kept his starting defense in games late to protect the score differential. He routinely kept Bradford in games in the 4th quarter up by several touchdowns against lesser opponents.

As I said, I am indifferent about whether Stoops runs up scores or not, but let's at least be truthful and factual and objective about it. He was routinely questioned and criticized fairly after several games this season about doing so. He routinely kept his starters in at all positions late into games, or even the whole game, in games well out of reach.

Stoops played within the rules, and ran up scores for "style" points, and he kept starters in games late to better control the score on both sides of the ball. Those are facts.

My reasoning subjectively for picking Texas is simple. The schedules weren't significantly different and when it comes down to the three teams, Texas had a better showing overall in its two games than the other two.

Oh, so you're saying the offense was so good that the games were often out of reach in the 2nd quarter/halftime? The fact of the matter is that OU's offense was so good it was up big early and the games, save one, were over by halftime.

Your original post was wrong.

"And, I'm not all that impressed that Sam Bradford and Oklahoma can throw passes in the fourth quarter of routes often times against back up units, as well as starting ball carriers and starting O-lines playing."

You asserted they ran up the score in the fourth quarter, I plainly contradicted that with the facts. If you want to change your position, that's fine.

Oh, so you're saying the offense was so good that the games were often out of reach in the 2nd quarter/halftime? The fact of the matter is that OU's offense was so good it was up big early and the games, save one, were over by halftime.

Your original post was wrong.

"And, I'm not all that impressed that Sam Bradford and Oklahoma can throw passes in the fourth quarter of routes often times against back up units, as well as starting ball carriers and starting O-lines playing."

You asserted they ran up the score in the fourth quarter, I plainly contradicted that with the facts. If you want to change your position, that's fine.

Yeah, OU's game v long time power (sarcasm) Chatanooga was out of reach by halftime. Stoops had to answer many questions regarding that game and why his starters were all playing in the third quarter against mighty Chatanooga.

OU was playing its starters in 4th quarters of games, especially defensively against opponents back-ups to preerve margin of victory. OU was playing its offensive starters at QB, WR, RB, O-line, to run up scores late in the third quarter and also in the 4th quarters of several games this season.

It's a fact that Sam Bradford through passes this season in the 4th quarter of well out of reach games this season and the rest of his starting offense was in the game with him in the 4th quarter this season.

You responded by asserting that OU scored a lot of points prior to the 4th quarter. I don't disagree with that assertion. However, it's misleading. One can run up the score prior to the start of the 4th quarter. OU did this. One can run up the score in the 4th quarter, and OU did this.

So, let's even take OU's most recent example v Mizzou. You don't think OU was running up the score by leaving its starters in the game on both sides of the ball in the 4th quarter up by 31 points and scoring 21 4th quarter points with starters on both sides of the ball? Wow. Oklahoma scored 62 fourth quarter points in the games I mentioned, not counting the many late 3rd quarter TD's.