He did not walk...

AlumniFan

...he ran like five steps RIGHT IN FRONT of that tall geekly looking ref. PATHETIC.

That said, that kid was on fire.

Terrible.

I give the kid credit, but if Lisch had shot as much as Fisher did he would have had 50! Shooting percentage was 73% to 54%. Lisch was absolutely incredible.

Too bad KL did not play better defense against the kid. He was getting an awful lot of open shots at times.

I was waiting for Majerus to pull out the box and one to at least keep the kid out of the paint, but it didn't happen.

Terrible.

I give the kid credit, but if Lisch had shot as much as Fisher did he would have had 50! Shooting percentage was 73% to 54%. Lisch was absolutely incredible.

Lisch was incredible offensively, but he was ABUSED defensively by Fisher. But I don't even blame Lisch ... I blame the coaching. After Fisher's 8th straight basket 1 on 1, wouldn't someone get the idea he needed some help??? My God ... all 7,000 people in the arena knew who was going to shoot and we still made no attempt to change up the defense and force someone else to make a play. A hall of fame coach does not let one player beat his team!

Fisher made 7 of the 8 Kent State baskets in overtime. He took 7 of the 10 Kent State shots in overtime. He shot 100% in overtime. His performance was incredible; it was also a statistical anomaly, an outlier. He shot 100% in OT and while some shots were easy shots, some were contested. In the next 100 overtime periods in his life it is HIGHLY unlikely he will perform that way again.

Fisher made 7 of the 8 Kent State baskets in overtime. He took 7 of the 10 Kent State shots in overtime. He shot 100% in overtime. His performance was incredible; it was also a statistical anomaly, an outlier. He shot 100% in OT and while some shots were easy shots, some were contested. In the next 100 overtime periods in his life it is HIGHLY unlikely he will perform that way again.

I feel much better now.

Had they trapped him/doubled teamed him and made him give up the ball, it would have been highly unlikely that he would have performed that way in THIS game. Force him to take a shot through a double-team or give up the shot to a teammate, either way you can't stay status quo and let him abuse Lisch for 10 straight minutes 1 on 1.

Looking at Majerus's quote after the game, it seems like he wanted more help defense from the Bigs, but just didn't get it. At least it will be a learning experience for them.

Rickma will only play straight up man to man D...no zone no trapping no press, he says its a sign of weakness. I think Kevin could have guarded that guy a little better if he was 100% falling on his tailbone the first game had really messed up his movement laterally and this being his first game of the year couldnt help matters either.

Rickma will only play straight up man to man D...no zone no trapping no press, he says its a sign of weakness. I think Kevin could have guarded that guy a little better if he was 100% falling on his tailbone the first game had really messed up his movement laterally and this being his first game of the year couldnt help matters either.

He could have guarded that guy a little better if he was allowed to Albert Belle forearm shiver homeboy in the face, since the kid was obviously allowed to run around with the ball without dribbling. Everything up to that point, however, nothing any one guy could do.

Lisch was incredible offensively, but he was ABUSED defensively by Fisher. But I don't even blame Lisch ... I blame the coaching. After Fisher's 8th straight basket 1 on 1, wouldn't someone get the idea he needed some help??? My God ... all 7,000 people in the arena knew who was going to shoot and we still made no attempt to change up the defense and force someone else to make a play. A hall of fame coach does not let one player beat his team!

Not true - on the last play that Fisher scored the winning basket RM did change the defense - when Fisher went right, Cassity picked him up and KL rolled over to guard on the other side. The problem was that at some point, KL ended up being the guy to guard him again on the last shot. I kept wondering why after so many great shots he made that somebody just did not foul him hard - not like at the end of regulation when they fouled him and he turned in a 3 pt play. The way he was hitting everything we might as well take our chances on him missing a FT.

Too bad KL did not play better defense against the kid. He was getting an awful lot of open shots at times.

the last three outside shots that fisher made lisch had his elbow against fisher's face and his hand on top of fisher's head. NO ONE on the billikens could have guarded fisher any better last night. that last three he hit right in front of me and he stoped, jab stepped and stepped back for about a 23 footer. that isnt even a human shot. most coaches are ready to bench a kid in a game for trying to shoot something like that. give fisher all the credit. he didnt get anything free.

Not true - on the last play that Fisher scored the winning basket RM did change the defense - when Fisher went right, Cassity picked him up and KL rolled over to guard on the other side. The problem was that at some point, KL ended up being the guy to guard him again on the last shot. I kept wondering why after so many great shots he made that somebody just did not foul him hard - not like at the end of regulation when they fouled him and he turned in a 3 pt play. The way he was hitting everything we might as well take our chances on him missing a FT.

thank you cheese. considering the way the game was officiated, a hard foul early in the overtime and as often as it would have been allowed was about the only thing that might have slowed that kid down. i totally agree. our only chance to stop him was to switch out to playing football/rugby on him. i dont like that way of thinking, but he was in such a zone, and the refs werent calling it straight anyway, so we should have tried something else.

trapping wouldnt have worked. i swear he would have just rose up and hit another. and if he did pass out, (i dont think he would have given the ball up for anything down the stretch) he would have gotten it right back and then hit the shot. no gimmick defense would have stopped him.

I bruised my tailbone pretty badly about 6 weeks ago, right in the middle of training for a marathon. I found that for a couple of weeks I could run just as fast as I usually do, but I had absolutely no burst getting started. It was like someone was holding me back if I tried to start quickly. I think KL will be just fine defensively in the coming weeks. Fischer was just absolutely super-unconscious; about the best late game performance I've seen since Marque Perry went nutty against Tulane several years ago in an OT game.

No, they did not change the defense on the last play, Cassity briefly switched to Fisher off a pick out top, but Lisch immediately pointed out to his guard and had him switch back. Watch the video, you can see it clearly.

I don't want to take anything away from Fisher ... that guy was unbelievable, but you have to take him out of his comfort zone. There was no attempt to do that whatsoever.

No, they did not change the defense on the last play, Cassity briefly switched to Fisher off a pick out top, but Lisch immediately pointed out to his guard and had him switch back. Watch the video, you can see it clearly.

I don't want to take anything away from Fisher ... that guy was unbelievable, but you have to take him out of his comfort zone. There was no attempt to do that whatsoever.

So you're saying that last shot was in his comfort zone?

the last three outside shots that fisher made lisch had his elbow against fisher's face and his hand on top of fisher's head. NO ONE on the billikens could have guarded fisher any better last night. that last three he hit right in front of me and he stoped, jab stepped and stepped back for about a 23 footer. that isnt even a human shot. most coaches are ready to bench a kid in a game for trying to shoot something like that. give fisher all the credit. he didnt get anything free.

Roy, I love your boy Lisch, but he simply got torched defensively in OT. Fisher was all-world, but Lisch was getting beat every which way.

He just scored 10 straight baskets off Lisch, I think he was pretty secure in the fact he could do it again. Yes.

They did just what they needed to do. They forced the guy to take a bad shot, one in which he had to walk to get off ... and he hit it.

If it's me, I'm not trying to change things up on the last play of the game. Yes, he was hot and had just scored 7 or 8 straight shots, but we have an all A10 defender who should be able to make sure the guy doesn't get a decent look. Kevin did his job, and Fisher did his.

Kevin did his job, and Fisher did his.

$50,000 UNDER THE BASKET, BADBREATH BLOWHEART, for the person that knows the home phone number of the person that DIDN'T do their job on that play... There may be as many as 3 right answers, depending on the angle that they had on the play.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that anybody else could have done any better against Fisher - my point simply was KL simply was not handling him defensively and had he been able to do better - have the guy miss only one shot would have been better - we would have won the game. I am not discounting what you are saying about the last 3 shots - but what about the other ones before that where KL was playing off of him or at least letting the kid open up some big separation. Maybe KL should have thought about fouling the kid hard since nothing else he was doing seemed to have any impact.

Roy, I love your boy Lisch, but he simply got torched defensively in OT. Fisher was all-world, but Lisch was getting beat every which way.

and what are you implying? someone on the billikens would have done better? all i am saying is that lisch did everything right and fisher just was that spectacular. the only thing that i think i would have had lisch do a couple of times in the middle of that streak was foul him real real hard. i dont know or think anything else would have mattered.

I thought Majerus should have left WR in the game and maybe bring in BT to stand in the middle and make him put it over them in the lane.

According to the paper, RM wanted his big guy to step out and help but nobody was doing it for some reason. Leaving Willie or putting in BT apparently was not working either since nobody was helping out for some reason. RM made it sound like it was freshman type mistake of not adjusting to the situation and he plans to work with them on that.

I think that is what I said - Cassity picked the guy up but KL ended back on him for the shot. Now if you are saying that that was mistake for Cassity to pick the guy up and KL called him off then that makes no sense to me why he did that. It seemed to me that when Cassity stepped out it caused Fisher to move back and regroup.