Beer and Brats Last Night?

Box and Won

I got an email on this at least 10 days ago and I am sure it was sent to a broad group. It was also announced at the Tip Off Club/Billiken Club meeting. It was repeated on this board. There was plenty of notice to fans who were interested.

I dont think they marketed to the student very well. It would have been a great event had they invited the students to come -what student would turn down free food had they of know?

Question of the night - how will you guys replace Bryce Husak's speed and athleticism? That got a good rise out of everyone.

My reaction to that statement is: what a bunch of "NO CLASS" individuals to laugh at Bryce Husak's contribution last year. Kevin Garnett he was not, but teams altered their offense when Bryce was on the floor. He was a presence in the paint that opposing teams learned to respect.

How quickly a few forget his contribution during the tournament in Pittsburgh and early in the season. In the beginning, Bryce scored points, blocked shots, and was a contributor. Toward the end of the season his play didn't match his early season performances but he still made a difference. Perhaps he was no longer playing 100 percent, no one knows. No matter his level of play, opponents took advantage of our team's lack of height when he wasn't on the floor. When not in the game, Bryce was always the first off the bench to congratulate his teammates at a break or time-out and worked to keep them energized. The harsh light of scrutiny can be put on any player or coach at any time. Few had play or made decisions that were without fault.

What sort of gafaws were heard for RM's coaching ability last season. Oh, I forgot, those were not HIS players, just individuals that he was STUCK with. Well, let's see what he produces this year or what excuses he will fabricate if his team doesn't earn a bid to the "Dance". So far his demonstrated lack of respect toward his past player shows some of his true character. That sort of behavior is best left "On a Napkin"!

Question of the night - how will you guys replace Bryce Husak's speed and athleticism? That got a good rise out of everyone.

My reaction to that statement is: what a bunch of "NO CLASS" individuals to laugh at Bryce Husak's contribution last year. Kevin Garnett he was not, but teams altered their offense when Bryce was on the floor. He was a presence in the paint that opposing teams learned to respect.

How quickly a few forget his contribution during the tournament in Pittsburgh and early in the season. In the beginning, Bryce scored points, blocked shots, and was a contributor. Toward the end of the season his play didn't match his early season performances but he still made a difference. Perhaps he was no longer playing 100 percent, no one knows. No matter his level of play, opponents took advantage of our team's lack of height when he wasn't on the floor. When not in the game, Bryce was always the first off the bench to congratulate his teammates at a break or time-out and worked to keep them energized. The harsh light of scrutiny can be put on any player or coach at any time. Few had play or made decisions that were without fault.

What sort of gafaws were heard for RM's coaching ability last season. Oh, I forgot, those were not HIS players, just individuals that he was STUCK with. Well, let's see what he produces this year or what excuses he will fabricate if his team doesn't earn a bid to the "Dance". So far his demonstrated lack of respect toward his past player shows some of his true character. That sort of behavior is best left "On a Napkin"!

It wasn't Rickma who asked that question. He didn't rip Bryce. In fact he has said in the past that he wishes he had Bryce earlier in his college career because he thought he could have got a lot more out of him. He has always spoken well of Bryce the person.

Bryce's back was pretty bad last year. He had sugery after the season and missed some opportunities to continue playing.

Still haven't bought into the whole VCR/TIVO/DVR fad yet huh? :lol:

actually i just weighed the options and thursday night nbc seemed like better entertainment than watching the players sign autographs and rickma rambling.

now if they actually would have been bouncing some balls and running the court, i would have come to see that.

nbc seemed like better entertainment than watching the players sign autographs and rickma rambling.

It is too bad that a great basketball fan like you is unable to appreciate Rick Majerus talking about basketball and life. Unfortunately, I was unable to make last night's events due to commitments with my wife and kids. However, my folks went to last night's event. My 60-something mother who had never heard Majerus speak before (and doesn't really follow sports) came away raving about him. She told me that he was one of the most interesting and engaging speakers she had ever heard, and she was particularly impressed by the respect both he and his players showed for each other.

It is too bad that a great basketball fan like you is unable to appreciate Rick Majerus talking about basketball and life. Unfortunately, I was unable to make last night's events due to commitments with my wife and kids. However, my folks went to last night's event. My 60-something mother who had never heard Majerus speak before (and doesn't really follow sports) came away raving about him. She told me that he was one of the most interesting and engaging speakers she had ever heard, and she was particularly impressed by the respect both he and his players showed for each other.

once you've seen the lounge act a couple of times you start wishing for new material.

once you've seen the lounge act a couple of times you start wishing for new material.

It's a shame you are allowing your strange conspiracy theories and personal vendetta cloud your perspective because you are fabulous basketball experience.

Roy, first of all RM is not a comedian so to expect him to put together "new material" every time he speaks to a group is unrealistic. If you had spent any time around Spoon who was noted for his public speaking it did not take but a couple of times of hearing him before you started to hear the same stories from him. When the practices were open during BS's tenure all you would get from the few who went was how great some player was doing in practice - remember the Polk is raining 3s or JJ is really a beast in practice type comments . I would make it a point to go to at least one some times 2 practices more out of curiosity then thinking I was going to get some real insight. When the games would start - little of what was posted or what I saw played out as reality in the games. Also, the Midnight Madness thing was good PR if you could keep fan interest up year after year but once again, the play you saw on the court was mostly for fun and had very little to do with what the players did during the games. I would bet that the UCLA open scrimmage that Courtside talked about is probably nothing more than a glorified presentation of what we saw in Midnight Madness. I am sure you would not like having people sitting around looking over your shoulder when you are approving/evaluating loans - the process is not very exciting I am sure but you get my point. I can wait until the games and have no problem letting the players and coaches do their jobs the way most of us do ours.

Roy, first of all RM is not a comedian so to expect him to put together "new material" every time he speaks to a group is unrealistic. If you had spent any time around Spoon who was noted for his public speaking it did not take but a couple of times of hearing him before you started to hear the same stories from him. When the practices were open during BS's tenure all you would get from the few who went was how great some player was doing in practice - remember the Polk is raining 3s or JJ is really a beast in practice type comments . I would make it a point to go to at least one some times 2 practices more out of curiosity then thinking I was going to get some real insight. When the games would start - little of what was posted or what I saw played out as reality in the games. Also, the Midnight Madness thing was good PR if you could keep fan interest up year after year but once again, the play you saw on the court was mostly for fun and had very little to do with what the players did during the games. I would bet that the UCLA open scrimmage that Courtside talked about is probably nothing more than a glorified presentation of what we saw in Midnight Madness. I am sure you would not like having people sitting around looking over your shoulder when you are approving/evaluating loans - the process is not very exciting I am sure but you get my point. I can wait until the games and have no problem letting the players and coaches do their jobs the way most of us do ours.

I agree with Broy, you can only hear the exact same war stories so many times before turning them off. I for one wish Coach Rick would come to the realization that he is no longer speaking to a group of Utah fans. If I have heard him talk about his players at Utah once, then I have heard it 10 times-it's constant. Let's move on, we know about all the Utah stories (i could probably recite them as well as him). What I want to hear is limited to his time/players here at SLU. Utah is over! His legacy is now tied to his performance at SLU which was his decision. At this point I see him as a HOF quality HC, but if he fails here, reciting the same Utah stories will not enhance his image.

I agree with Broy, you can only hear the exact same war stories so many times before turning them off. I for one wish Coach Rick would come to the realization that he is no longer speaking to a group of Utah fans. If I have heard him talk about his players at Utah once, then I have heard it 10 times-it's constant. Let's move on, we know about all the Utah stories (i could probably recite them as well as him). What I want to hear is limited to his time/players here at SLU. Utah is over! His legacy is now tied to his performance at SLU which was his decision. At this point I see him as a HOF quality HC, but if he fails here, reciting the same Utah stories will not enhance his image.

I am just curious? Have you heard him speak once this season? I hardly recall him mentioning Utah when he spoke at the Tip-Off club, and I was told he talked about this team and recruiting at the event the other night. (BTW, didn't we hear the last guy routinely make silly comparisons between his SLU teams and the final four team at Wisconsin?)

I am just curious? Have you heard him speak once this season? I hardly recall him mentioning Utah when he spoke at the Tip-Off club, and I was told he talked about this team and recruiting at the event the other night. (BTW, didn't we hear the last guy routinely make silly comparisons between his SLU teams and the final four team at Wisconsin?)

Possibly you left the room at the Tip-Off Club gathering, Nark or maybe you were up getting one of those bargain beers. He talked about how redshirting the Guard (Miller?) was important to his development and brought up the All-American big man (name escapes me) in a context I have chosen to forget. A guy I didn't know at my table even commented that he had has enough with Utah, to which I agreed. The stories are repeated every time he is on TV or the radio, along with his appearance at last years Tip-Off Club meeting. Enough already! I've read his book.

By the way, no need to take an unsolicited and unnecessary shot at the former HC, or can you and others just not let it go?

Possibly you left the room at the Tip-Off Club gathering, Nark or maybe you were up getting one of those bargain beers. He talked about how redshirting the Guard (Miller?) was important to his development and brought up the All-American big man (name escapes me) in a context I have chosen to forget. A guy I didn't know at my table even commented that he had has enough with Utah, to which I agreed. The stories are repeated every time he is on TV or the radio, along with his appearance at last years Tip-Off Club meeting. Enough already! I've read his book.

By the way, no need to take an unsolicited and unnecessary shot at the former HC, or can you and others just not let it go?

He has been at SLU for one year. How many stories could he have about SLU. He was at Utah for 15................ give him a break.

I liked Brad, but people need to get over it. I was a bigger Grawer fan and knew him and his staff when I was a kid. I never held my like for Grawer against Spoon or the team. I have always wished the best for the team and the coach. There are enough people around that are more than willing to take shots at the program.

I have heard Majerus reference Utah a few times in interviews, but I'm not sure why that would bother anybody. I didn't take it to mean he was bragging, usually it was done to illustrate his philosophy - with big men, he would talk about Doleac, with Andre Miller it would usually be to discuss the role of the point guard. Utah had some successful teams and I appreciate learning how the coach can take some of those strategies and apply them to building a winning team here. When Soderberg referenced his Final Four team at Wisconsin, it didn't bother me either. It also didn't bother me when Lorenzo talked about the championship team he was a part of at UCLA. As a basketball fan I appreciate those kind of stories, but to each their own I guess.

He has been at SLU for one year. How many stories could he have about SLU. He was at Utah for 15................ give him a break.

I liked Brad, but people need to get over it. I was a bigger Grawer fan and knew him and his staff when I was a kid. I never held my like for Grawer against Spoon or the team. I have always wished the best for the team and the coach. There are enough people around that are more than willing to take shots at the program.

That's a good point. I bet that as time goes on, you will probably here coach talk about things like how he appreciated the way Luke Meyer played the game or the effort that guys like Bryce and Danny gave to improve during their senior seasons.

Look, everybody uses their past success to support what they are currently doing. When I heard him say that about Miller I took it as simply his way of saying that his position on this kid was based on successful practices. RM is going to refer to his time at Utah because after all that is why he was hired here because of his past success at Utah. He also talks about his time at Marquette. What I don't understand is if some do not like what he says when he talks at these gatherings then don't go. If you go because you want to get additional info then just put up with his occasional mentions of his time at Utah.

Guest BillikenReport

Brian,

It's obvious certain people on this board are never going to support Majerus the same way they supported previous coaches, because of his history or because of the perception. It doesn't even matter if the new coach doesn't allow the same behavior as the old coach. There will always be excuses for why the old coach didn't succeed, and when the new coach starts winning more, those same people will be quick to point out his flaws and everything they've disagreed with along the way.

I'm really surprised more people aren't on board with Majerus. Maybe someone can dig up some of the old threads when Majerus was first mentioned as a possibility and see how much certain attitudes have changed in the past year and a half.

I have heard Majerus reference Utah a few times in interviews, but I'm not sure why that would bother anybody. I didn't take it to mean he was bragging, usually it was done to illustrate his philosophy - with big men, he would talk about Doleac, with Andre Miller it would usually be to discuss the role of the point guard. Utah had some successful teams and I appreciate learning how the coach can take some of those strategies and apply them to building a winning team here. When Soderberg referenced his Final Four team at Wisconsin, it didn't bother me either. It also didn't bother me when Lorenzo talked about the championship team he was a part of at UCLA. As a basketball fan I appreciate those kind of stories, but to each their own I guess.

To be clear, I have never minded any of our coaches talking about their prior experiences. (I just brought up the last coach to make a point.) I have always believed that the best way to build for the future--in nearly any context--is to analyze and learn from the past. Outside of pure unadulterated curmudgeonry or subjective hatred, I cannot fathom why anyone would fault Majerus for bringing his learnings from a program that made the finals of the NCAA tournament.

Brian,

It's obvious certain people on this board are never going to support Majerus the same way they supported previous coaches, because of his history or because of the perception. It doesn't even matter if the new coach doesn't allow the same behavior as the old coach. There will always be excuses for why the old coach didn't succeed, and when the new coach starts winning more, those same people will be quick to point out his flaws and everything they've disagreed with along the way.

I'm really surprised more people aren't on board with Majerus. Maybe someone can dig up some of the old threads when Majerus was first mentioned as a possibility and see how much certain attitudes have changed in the past year and a half.

I really believe that the reason why "more people aren't on board with Majerus" is because many still do not fully know him. I'm on board with RM but I must admit that I really don't know him, by now, as well as I had thought I would. He appears to be quite a complex man - both good and bad.