Recruiting and athletic budget numbers for 2006-07

brianstl

SLU ranked 11th overall in athletic budget, 13th in overall recruiting budget, and 7th in basketball budget. The basketball team made a $300,000+ profit.

The A-10 numbers are below the Duquesne numbers in this link.

http://saintlouis.scout.com/a.z?s=437&p=2&c=794062

until those budget numbers are increased to at least the top tier, slu will never be a consistent winning top 40 team.

until those budget numbers are increased to at least the top tier, slu will never be a consistent winning top 40 team.

1) When Rick Majerus came on board he made sure the numbers were increased. These numbers are pre-Majerus

2) Most of those schools have at least some sort of football program. No matter what level your football program is at when you have to recruit 80+ kids you are going to cause some significant recruiting expenses.

3) The fairest way to look at SLU vs. other bastketball programs is to look at basketball only budgets in the final table. We were 7th that year but I suspect last year with Majerus' contract we were #2 behind only Xavier. The commitment is there. Its just going to take some time for the results to come.

4) The final table also shows that we are effectively running a balanced basketball budget. Look at Dayton and Xavier who have the luxury of paying for all their other sports with the revenues from basketball. If anyone is to blame for SLU not spending more it appears to be the fans/alumni as SLU appears will to spend an amount roughly equal to the revenue. If we fans spend more, SLU will spend more. I can't blast SLU for not running a defecit on the one sport capable of bringing in revenue.

1) When Rick Majerus came on board he made sure the numbers were increased. These numbers are pre-Majerus

Last months trip to Australia by Majerus alone was probably between $15000 to $20000 if he took along his new assistant. :lol:

I assume these numbers have not changed much % wise the previous 15 years. Its a wonder Spoon, Romer and BS recruited anyone. Very sad considering how much revenue basketball probably brought in at least 10 of those years.

2) Most of those schools have at least some sort of football program. No matter what level your football program is at when you have to recruit 80+ kids you are going to cause some significant recruiting expenses.

3) The fairest way to look at SLU vs. other bastketball programs is to look at basketball only budgets in the final table. We were 7th that year but I suspect last year with Majerus' contract we were #2 behind only Xavier. The commitment is there. Its just going to take some time for the results to come.

4) The final table also shows that we are effectively running a balanced basketball budget. Look at Dayton and Xavier who have the luxury of paying for all their other sports with the revenues from basketball. If anyone is to blame for SLU not spending more it appears to be the fans/alumni as SLU appears will to spend an amount roughly equal to the revenue. If we fans spend more, SLU will spend more. I can't blast SLU for not running a defecit on the one sport capable of bringing in revenue.

rickma and his demands was a fantastic start to betterment. but it shouldnt end there. we need money poured into marketing, game day promotions, non revenue sports, etc. the whole athletic budget needs to match the increases made for rickma. it is all inter related. and if we dont finish the overall improvement with the pr and ancillary dept needs we are really treading water.

someone help me - i am trying to get to the $7.7mil budget figure and i am $2.0mil short

what categories am i missing?

what # or $ in the categories listed are out of whack?

these numbers are all guesses

did slu get a cut of concessions at scottrade?

category # $

mbball season tix 6,500 300 1,950,000

all sports passes 500 125 62,500 2,012,500

other sports tix 2,000 125 250,000 2,262,500

mbball walkup (2000*17) 34,000 8 272,000 2,534,500

bclub donations 1 1,000,000 1,000,000 3,534,500

ncaa conf share 1 250,000 250,000 3,784,500

corporate sponsors 20 50,000 1,000,000 4,784,500

a10 share of revenue 1 300,000 300,000 5,084,500

tv radio profit 1 100,000 100,000 5,184,500

merchandise license 1 25,000 25,000 5,209,500

rickma and his demands was a fantastic start to betterment. but it shouldnt end there. we need money poured into marketing, game day promotions, non revenue sports, etc. the whole athletic budget needs to match the increases made for rickma. it is all inter related. and if we dont finish the overall improvement with the pr and ancillary dept needs we are really treading water.

where is this money going to come from, esp in today's economy?

rick needs to win is the easiest answer i have

where is this money going to come from, esp in today's economy?

rick needs to win is the easiest answer i have

doesnt slu have nearly a $1 billion dollar general fund? until the athletic dept is up and humming, i think a few extra thousand dollars from the general fund is not going to kill the third best funded catholic university in the nation.

make the full committment that father biondi promised over 20 years ago. we could play "what comes first the chicken or the egg" forever otherwise

doesnt slu have nearly a $1 billion dollar general fund? until the athletic dept is up and humming, i think a few extra thousand dollars from the general fund is not going to kill the third best funded catholic university in the nation.

make the full committment that father biondi promised over 20 years ago. we could play "what comes first the chicken or the egg" forever otherwise

-i don't know what the general fund is, but $1bil a year seems high

-if you mean endowment fund the last ranking i saw was about $950mil, so close.

-hopefully the end fund has not lost much value this year

-where does the U spend endowment money, Chaifetz and Doisy both built without endowment funds that FrB mentioned proudly??

-i am not opposed to spending some end fund money on athletic program

Are you serious??

If anyone is to blame for SLU not spending more it appears to be the fans/alumni as SLU appears will to spend an amount roughly equal to the revenue. If we fans spend more, SLU will spend more. I can't blast SLU for not running a defecit on the one sport capable of bringing in revenue.

SLU and Fr. Biondi sat on their hands since 1988. In case you don't remember, Fr. Biondi promised was hired in 1988 and then hired Spoon around the Spring of 1991 and promised a Top 50 program. Since, then Fr. Biondi and SLU did nothing for then next 16 years - No practice facility, no new weight room, no extra staffing and budgets.... until Chaveitz and RM. 20 years of inactivity does justify criticism. No one expects deficit spending but tell us why SLU's revenue failed to keep up with its peers for 20 years.

For a team with 5 coaches in 20 years, little commitment from the Administration and very little success on the Court, I'd say we fans and alums did a pretty good job. If you want to rank SLU next to G'Town, BC, Xavier, Notre Dame, Marquette and even Gonzaga, then lets compare but our pre-RM/Chaveitz budgets and facilites up against theirs as well and see how we compare.

-i don't know what the general fund is, but $1bil a year seems high

-i am not opposed to spending some end fund money on athletic program

billion total. not per year. no one said per year.

we agree on something!!!!! :rolleyes:

The latest published number for SLU is $959,486,000 -- but that's an endowment, designed to produce returns that can be used against operating expenses. I think it's the very rare academic institution that draws off its actual endowment (not the dividends or other income thereof) for its sports teams.

The latest published number for SLU is $959,486,000 -- but that's an endowment, designed to produce returns that can be used against operating expenses. I think it's the very rare academic institution that draws off its actual endowment (not the dividends or other income thereof) for its sports teams.

i wouldnt endorse making an annual withdrawal of a million bucks. but throw some short term seed money out there to enable the dept to start acting like the big time program we all want to be. instead we do it half way and then let the rest flounder.

i would bet some upfront investment to start doing things right and at the top level in no time the payback will really start coming in. big investors, more consistent donations from us small timers, etc.

doesnt anyone have a vision?

i wouldnt endorse making an annual withdrawal of a million bucks. but throw some short term seed money out there to enable the dept to start acting like the big time program we all want to be. instead we do it half way and then let the rest flounder.

i would bet some upfront investment to start doing things right and at the top level in no time the payback will really start coming in. big investors, more consistent donations from us small timers, etc.

Roy, you seem to be forgetting that the school just built an $80mm plus arena that still has at least $8mm to be paid for. That money didn't come from nowhere and if the new revenues from the arena fail to pay off the interest and principal on the debt issued, guess where the rest is coming from? Thats right, SLU's general fund.

Seems to me like there's already been a tremendous upfront investment in the athletic programs, mainly the basketball team.

Are you serious??

If anyone is to blame for SLU not spending more it appears to be the fans/alumni as SLU appears will to spend an amount roughly equal to the revenue. If we fans spend more, SLU will spend more. I can't blast SLU for not running a defecit on the one sport capable of bringing in revenue.

SLU and Fr. Biondi sat on their hands since 1988. In case you don't remember, Fr. Biondi promised was hired in 1988 and then hired Spoon around the Spring of 1991 and promised a Top 50 program. Since, then Fr. Biondi and SLU did nothing for then next 16 years - No practice facility, no new weight room, no extra staffing and budgets.... until Chaveitz and RM. 20 years of inactivity does justify criticism. No one expects deficit spending but tell us why SLU's revenue failed to keep up with its peers for 20 years.

For a team with 5 coaches in 20 years, little commitment from the Administration and very little success on the Court, I'd say we fans and alums did a pretty good job. If you want to rank SLU next to G'Town, BC, Xavier, Notre Dame, Marquette and even Gonzaga, then lets compare but our pre-RM/Chaveitz budgets and facilites up against theirs as well and see how we compare.

I'm sure you are right ClockTower. The SLU staffing and budgets were the same in 2006 as they were in 1988 and the weightroom had all the same machines!

I'll look for you at the UMSL game as we open up the season in our brand new arena that apparently is not a good indicator that SLU is serious about improving the basketball program. Oh thats right, you won't be there because you have more important things to do that night. If only we had more dedicated fans like you we'd be the Gonzaga of the midwest!

Roy, you seem to be forgetting that the school just built an $80mm plus arena that still has at least $8mm to be paid for. That money didn't come from nowhere and if the new revenues from the arena fail to pay off the interest and principal on the debt issued, guess where the rest is coming from? Thats right, SLU's general fund.

Seems to me like there's already been a tremendous upfront investment in the athletic programs, mainly the basketball team.

8 million out of 1 billion...........the fund can afford it. hell in fact, if biondi took the 1 million out last week before the market tanked he would have come out ahead.

No way should the school touch the endowment for the athletic programs. That is not the purpose of the endowment; in fact, the value of the endowment assets are completely unrelated to the athletic programs and budget. There is a reason there is a direct and close correlation between the size of endowment and the academic rankings of the top universities, the majority of whose athletic budgets are a fraction of SLU's athletic budget.

No way should the school touch the endowment for the athletic programs. That is not the purpose of the endowment; in fact, the value of the endowment assets are completely unrelated to the athletic programs and budget. There is a reason there is a direct and close correlation between the size of endowment and the academic rankings of the top universities, the majority of whose athletic budgets are a fraction of SLU's athletic budget.

You are dead on here. You can't touch the endowment.

SLU ranked 11th overall in athletic budget, 13th in overall recruiting budget, and 7th in basketball budget. The basketball team made a $300,000+ profit.

The A-10 numbers are below the Duquesne numbers in this link.

http://saintlouis.scout.com/a.z?s=437&p=2&c=794062

This is a perfect example of how far behind SLU was until the RM hire. Biondi's pathetic commitment to athletics for most of his time at SLU is disgraceful.

I'm sure you are right ClockTower. The SLU staffing and budgets were the same in 2006 as they were in 1988 and the weightroom had all the same machines!

I'll look for you at the UMSL game as we open up the season in our brand new arena that apparently is not a good indicator that SLU is serious about improving the basketball program. Oh thats right, you won't be there because you have more important things to do that night. If only we had more dedicated fans like you we'd be the Gonzaga of the midwest!

Shoe. Re-read the posts before you post more dribble. I never said SLU and Fr. Biondi did not make an big-time investment with Chaveitz and RM. Of course they did. Instead, I said that SLU and Fr. Biondi waited way too long to do what he promised. Unlike you, I can "blast" Fr. Biondi for running a Mom & Pop program for way too long. Instead, you state that you want to blame the few, long-time loyal fans who stand behind the program despite its lack of success and despite not being properly supported. Go ahead and expand on your thoughts about us non-supportive fans/alums. Are we the same ones who are paying $450 per seat (every seat) as well as annual Arena Fees after having made donations and bought bricks.

Instead, your big-time response to me is that SLU bought a couple of new machines in the weightroom? Good stuff. BTW, if you haven't noticed, nearly every highschool in town now has better facilities than SLU had prior to Chaveitz.