RPI is now

because the electronic media in particular is a shill for the acc, sec, big 10, big 12, big east and pac 10. the big 10 and pac 10 only deserve maybe 5 teams between them and to listen to espn, you would swear they are a lock for 10 teams. amazing stuff.

agreed. even if we win out and go to the championship game of the cusa tourney, i am betting our rpi still wont be under 40. thus the smoke filled room then comes into play and i dont like our odds there considering all the big ten and pac 10 teams that will be crying by then.

Well remember, 40 is just a ranking. If we continue to win, teams like Rice and UTEP fall behind us because of the RPI dogs they have left on their conference schedule. Teams, like Missouri, Georgia, and Colorado could eliminate themselves by losing multiple games down the stretch against tough opponents. Of course, the same could be said for us.

The Pac-10 is incredibly weak this year, aside from Stanford of course. Even Arizona is only 9-6 in the watered-down conference, including a loss at Oregon State yesterday, who was 4-9 in conference going into the game. Also, Oregon dropping a game to Arizona State at home yesterday?? Terrible. IMO, Arizona should be on the bubble (of course that will never happen.) But since they're getting in, it should be just them and Stanford. Nobody else from the Pac-10 has a resume to warrant it.

well sorry, but essentially the buy games are the reason. our sos and rpi is significantly lower and thus it will take a much better record to offset that.

SLU was in Mizzou's shows almost exactly a year ago. Our SOS was amazing in Febuary last year, but we only had 14-16 wins. The SOS is 75% of your RPI, and RPI is king.

SLU's SOS is in the 60's I think, while Mizzou's is in the teens.

The only reason we were on the bubble last year (before the conference tournaments which destroyed us), is because of our SOS.

Brad I bet is REALLY regretting those gimmie games...Who knows what our SOS would be.

Steve

Roy - if I understand what you are saying then the 4 buy games did not hurt us but by the fact that they are neutral on our RPI since we beat them they then are in essence hurting us.

3 Star - I also understand your point about if we had lost to a lower RPI team we would have been in worse shape than we currently are for having beaten the 4 buy teams.

I think I understand now - you are both making valid points.

they in fact are not "neutral". last week siu lost ground in the rpi the day they beat evansville. playing someone as low as the 4 buy teams we had, hurt our rpi. coach soderberg has now come around to that realization as well. his original thinking was, "hey everyone plays 4-5 buy games so as long as we dont stumble the effect is the same. the fact is few top 100 teams play as many extremely weak teams as we played in our non-conference schedule this year.

i understand that there is a chance we would have lost a game to an arkansas little rock for example, but to be honest, i think that would have done us more good than to have played the likes of savanah state or north carolina at&t or grambling. plus, the odds are we would not have lost imo. it might have been a close game, but i would have been happy to take my chances with a 150-200 rpi team as opposed to walking through the motions with the stiffs we played.

no team with a less than 500 conference record should ever be invited. if their conference is too good for them, get out.

the best 35 at large teams possible should be selected. Plain and simple. At large means conference affiliations should not matter and your record within a 16 game period should not be the only determining factor. To steal from Jay Billas, you need to look at the whole body of work which includes non-conference games. If Maryland gets to 7 wins they should be dancing. That conference is a killer.

the real answer is expanding the brackets. then none of the "deserving teams ever get left out that might be able to seriously advance. i have long said let in most if not all of the teams, but even if you just go to 128 you would solve a lot of problems imo. now the bubble teams you are talking about are the likes of sms or houston.

but as long as it remains at the current format, there should be some more defined parameters then the smoke filled room admits to. a 500 conference record is a good jumping off point. rarely is there a situation where it is questioned. if you dont stop it, you are going to have everyone of the 6 "power conferences" always demanding that one or two games under 500 team be in as they have a "killer" conference.

I will give the ACC due dredit for having ALL teams in their conference having an rpi of 65 or better. That is indeed impressive. With that said....mid-majors cannot get games many many times with these teams. How is it fair to make a blanket statement on rpi alone? Try other factors too.

It certainly would help teams like UAB to play tougher non-conference schedule. Charlotte finally played a couple this year.