Recruiting to SLU today

slu72

Marc

I think it is time to wander back to Wildcat Country. I think you have sufficiently rubbed SLU's nose in the dirt with the fact that Josh picked UK instead of SLU. Life goes on. I don't think very much is being decided by these endless pi$$ing contests.

The fact is most people in St. Louis don't know that much about Wildcat basketball or don't really care. We need to work on Plan B or C, if we have one. It is pretty late in the cycle though.

Good luck to Josh. I hope things work for him. I saw him twice this year at SWIC. Can't say I ever thought of him as a SEC player, but what do I know. A lot of the "big boys" with openings sure got interested after he got his release.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i too agree with the above. i think we saw from rickma over the past year he has quickly made decisions and cut out of the fray and headed to plan B asap.

for example, i am thinking that the suggs to john was a nice adjustment. both romar and soderberg would have rode that pony to the end. rickma didnt put himself in that position to see and be left at the altar with nothing. on this josh harrelson dance, first off the dance didnt take long, and second, it appears there was no one else to turn to so rickma really had nothing to lose playing this one to the end.

based on the old utah days, we know the track record of his ability to coach up undeveloped talent. so again, while folks scratch their heads about the likes of a brett thompson or a kyle cassity, i feel certain that if they have what it takes to get past rickma boot camp, surprises await. until rickma shows he has lost that touch, gotta believe he can still make that happen. i am looking forward to watching that happen.

This is amazing. In one post you're talking about how you wouldn't recommend SLU and RM to anyone and now you're talking about how you're looking forward to watching him work his magic. Which is it?

Marc

I think it is time to wander back to Wildcat Country. I think you have sufficiently rubbed SLU's nose in the dirt with the fact that Josh picked UK instead of SLU. Life goes on. I don't think very much is being decided by these endless pi$$ing contests.

The fact is most people in St. Louis don't know that much about Wildcat basketball or don't really care. We need to work on Plan B or C, if we have one. It is pretty late in the cycle though.

Good luck to Josh. I hope things work for him. I saw him twice this year at SWIC. Can't say I ever thought of him as a SEC player, but what do I know. A lot of the "big boys" with openings sure got interested after he got his release.

I'd love to hear how I have rubbed anything in anyones nose. Not sure how you expect to make that case at all.....

At the same time, I've not had a "pissing contest" with anyone. Someone asks a question, I answered it. Someone said something dumb and designed to bait...I called em on it.

mm

I'd love to hear how I have rubbed anything in anyones nose. Not sure how you expect to make that case at all.....

At the same time, I've not had a "pissing contest" with anyone. Someone asks a question, I answered it. Someone said something dumb and designed to bait...I called em on it.

mm

I think you've been fine and enjoyed your contributions. You complimented RM several times, but I do think you've been a bit condescending at times (but not overly so) to the 'mid majors'. I also don't care about the name dropping - if someone told you something, they told you.

This is amazing. In one post you're talking about how you wouldn't recommend SLU and RM to anyone and now you're talking about how you're looking forward to watching him work his magic. Which is it?

footes, two different things. i have the upmost respect for rickma's tactical game skills and his ability to understand talent and such. i have zero respect for the way he treats people. if you cant see the difference you are not trying.

same with bobby knight. the man was a basketball genius. however he was also the biggest jerk that ever coached in any sport. i wouldnt have my kid play for bob knight either, but i recognize he knows basketball.

I'm not slamming Gillispie. I'm slamming the guy who carried Josh's bag to the bag claim at the airport and stuck a fat envelope in the side. No big time program is clean. Josh is filling a need at Kentucky... Kentucky filled a need for Josh and his family. I bet Josh has a nice off-campus job cleaning cars or babysitting kids waiting for him that pays $1,000 a week cash. If anyone thinks some added perk didn't influence this decision then you are very naive.

This isn't unreasonable at all. It probably didn't happen exactly this way, but the main idea is there. I said three days ago that some cash can take care of a lot of family problems. Sure, UK doesn't need to cheat to beat SLU in recruiting battles, but it sure doesn't mean that they didn't.

What we saw is a kid who insisted that family issues were a huge factor for backing up on WIU and going somewhere closer to home. When it came down to SLU and UK, suddenly the family issue factor became a non-factor. Did it resolve itself in that short time span between his release from WIU and signing with UK? That's lucky timing for everyone but SLU if that's the case.

The argument I hear is that once Josh got a taste of the tradition at UK, it was too much to pass up, like he's some small-town yokel who stares up at the banners on the ceiling with his mouth and eyes wide open. I give recruits more credit than that. Josh had an issue to deal with, and it suddenly disappeared. A rich basketball tradition doesn't sew up his family's wounds.

Marc, I'm surprised that for a scout closely involved with college basketball recruiting you've never seen any of these types of transactions.

This is all ridiculous. We are certainly a sore bunch of losers. I've always been proud to be a Bills.com poster .... until the last few days.

If we are SLU's best fans, good for Josh, he made the right choice.

Maybe an angel flew down and whispered Kentucky in his ear ...

I'm not a yokel and it wouldn't have taken money to get me to see all that KY basketball is. I don't know what I'd have done given the same options. Imo they are both great choices.

Maybe Josh saw the good in both ...and ultimely believed in his ability to be a big part of a KY resurgence, and just felt that he'd rather take his shot at KY and the SEC .... It's a good choice ...

This is all ridiculous. We are certainly a sore bunch of losers. I've always been proud to be a Bills.com poster .... until the last few days.

I'm not a yokel and it wouldn't have taken money to get me to see all that KY basketball is. I don't know what I'd have done given the same options. Imo they are both great choices.

Maybe Josh saw the good in both ...and ultimely believed in his ability to be a big part of a KY resurgence, and just felt that he'd rather take his shot at KY and the SEC .... It's a good choice ...

Skip, I don't see why this is so ridiculous. This stuff happens, as much as people don't want to admit it. I hope Josh made the right choice for the right reasons, but right now he has a lot of people scratching their heads, including a certain local reporter who stuck his neck out for him.

Give me a break. I'm glad people are speaking their minds. It's usually the same ole PC bull**** on here. People say good luck and in the the back of their minds, they are thinking screw you. I don't wish the kid poor health, pain, that his family problems persist, or anything like that. But Josh made a decision, appeared to use a number of people a long the way, and ulitmately told the Billikens to go eff themselves. If you read any of the articles, at no point did Josh say anything worth a crap about SLU. What happened? All of a sudden...after a decade of dreaming to play at SLU...the only reason he considered it is that it's close to home? No, the kid has been full of crap for years. This whole thing will blow over by the weekend. In the meantime, I'm happy that people are riled up over this. It's one step closer to having a passionate fan base who takes a lot of pride in their program.

Give me a break. I'm glad people are speaking their minds. It's usually the same ole PC bull**** on here. People say good luck and in the the back of their minds, they are thinking screw you. I don't wish the kid poor health, pain, that his family problems persist, or anything like that. But Josh made a decision, appeared to use a number of people a long the way, and ulitmately told the Billikens to go eff themselves. If you read any of the articles, at no point did Josh say anything worth a crap about SLU. What happened? All of a sudden...after a decade of dreaming to play at SLU...the only reason he considered it is that it's close to home? No, the kid has been full of crap for years. This whole thing will blow over by the weekend. In the meantime, I'm happy that people are riled up over this. It's one step closer to having a passionate fan base who takes a lot of pride in their program.

I am sick of our fan base kissing the ass of local kids that tell SLU thanks but no thanks. I look forward to the day a kid like Josh walks into a local Bread Company and gets booed just like what happened to Robertson in COMO. We got to many people that want to keep on giving love to kids who basically say screw you to our program.

I am sick of our fan base kissing the ass of local kids that tell SLU thanks but no thanks. I look forward to the day a kid like Josh walks into a local Bread Company and gets booed just like what happened to Robertson in COMO. We got to many people that want to keep on giving love to kids who basically say screw you to our program.

Amen. This board is not "gosaintlouishighschoolprospects.com" !

skip most of the arrows the last couple of days have been directed at this "big time" scout that has been here making sure we all know how small potatoes we are and that kentucky is so much more superior. you can sit there and let the guy pound that into your head, i personally think we dont need the patronizing and belittlement.

i've been saying it for years. and all in all, i think it has been true. i would bet announce ryan robertson or david lee at any sporting event in st louis and they get polite applause. announce erwin claggett or anthony bonner the meter would go up substantially.

a kid makes that choice, fine. good luck. but they made their choice they no longer are the hometown hero. mark my word, evidence will be quite apparent when bryant allen commits to slu. allen will be the hometown favorite this coming high school season not the newest future champaign resident, tyler griffey.

mark my word, evidence will be quite apparent when bryant allen commits to slu. allen will be the hometown favorite this coming high school season not the newest future champaign resident, tyler griffey.

woah, woah, woah. You hearing some inside information here, Roy? Or just wishful thinking. An Allen commit would be freakin fantastic.

I'm agreeing w/ Skip on this. All this stuff about his family, bags of cash from KY (laughable), using BM, using SLU is pure speculative BS. Let's show a little class and smarts here. First off, we're gonna' lose most, if not all recruits, to schools like KY and IU. It's just the way it is. What would JH had done if UNC called him for a visit on Monday? Probably taken the trip is my guess. Yes, it hurts because we know how much more guys like Stemler and JH would mean to us than they will to KY. And there is a natural dislike of the rich getting richer at the expense of the poor. But it's his choice, and it's easy to see why he'd choose KY over SLU. Right now, JH is dreaming about a full house at Rupp, how he's going to be idolized by the fans, and given free food at Wildcat Wings or where ever they hang out in Lexington. He could drive deep into the backwoods of KY coal country, where you'd swear you're in the movie Deliverance, and people will know who he is. KY basketball is a religion. The twelve guys who play for KY are like the Apostles were to the early Christians. The red carpet is always rolled out for them. That said, let's hope he still feels as good about his decision when he's snagging 5mpg as back up to some 5 star Mickey D All American in year two or three of his stint at KY. No one's giving JH any love on this, or a pat on the back while wishing him good luck. Most could care less how this plays out for him at this point. All we know is he's not playing for SLU, and we've got to move forward. All Billiken fans are upset that he didn't choose SLU, and am sure Skip is as well, but to knock JH unmercilessly and call him a user, con man, and liar is uncalled for and petty. C'mon, SLU fans, we're better than that.

wishful/positive thinking. i have no knowledge of allen's leanings at all.

People talking about him getting cash is just complet BS. He did exploit his family situation to get out of what he thought was a bad basketball situation. I don't think that says much for his charecter. He is young and hopefully he will figure this out. I did a lot of crappy things in my younger days.

Right now, JH is dreaming about a full house at Rupp, how he's going to be idolized by the fans, and given free food at Wildcat Wings or where ever they hang out in Lexington. He could drive deep into the backwoods of KY coal country, where you'd swear you're in the movie Deliverance, and people will know who he is. KY basketball is a religion. The twelve guys who play for KY are like the Apostles were to the early Christians. The red carpet is always rolled out for them.

You know why it's like that '72? It's because of the FANS. The FANS are what make UK what it is. It's the FANS that are die hard. It's the FANS that have Josh all up in arms about the program. It's the FANS (some of which loosely call themselves "reporters") that badgered Josh 10 times a day for interviews. That's what SLU needs to become. Where is this little engine that could mentality coming from? It's sounds like YOU are the one blinded by the big lights. Perception is reality, man. If our fans think we're small time, that's what everybody else thinks. Frankly, this is what you and a lot of other people were throwing at me when I tried to defend our previous coach. I guess I've seen the light. Kinda ironic, isn't it?

Big time schools have all kinds of ways of getting around the rules. I have connections in the Baton Rouge area with a large company who is LSU footballs biggest booster. You don't see much in the news about their recruiting scandals but I will tell you from first hand knowledge they are there. They will have some guy incorporate himself, having no ties to this company, set up in office in Florida and every weekend the top high school players out of Florida stop by this office to do some "work". Then coincidentally all these guys end up at LSU. This is just an example. Big time schools like KENTUCKY have this stuff set up. Why on earth does anyone still go to kentucky? Tradition? Please... nobody cares about tradition. If I am a highly touted prospect who is gonna generate millions of dollars for your school - What are you gonna do for me? I'd guess wine, women, and song...... oh and money

footes, two different things. i have the upmost respect for rickma's tactical game skills and his ability to understand talent and such. i have zero respect for the way he treats people. if you cant see the difference you are not trying.

same with bobby knight. the man was a basketball genius. however he was also the biggest jerk that ever coached in any sport. i wouldnt have my kid play for bob knight either, but i recognize he knows basketball.

I'm not really buying it roy. I think you're scrambling to save face after being roundly ridiculed on here lately.

i've praised rickma's coaching genius from day one. and i have criticized his interpersonal skills whenever he acted like an a$$ towards, players, media, fans and his coaches. nothing inconsistent about that at all. just because i appreciate his coaching skills doesnt mean i would want to subject a friend or relative to his manners. i.e. i would not recommend him to someone i knew to play for him at this time based on the way he handled himself this past season. so buy what you want. that's your problem.

i've praised rickma's coaching genius from day one. and i have criticized his interpersonal skills whenever he acted like an a$$ towards, players, media, fans and his coaches. nothing inconsistent about that at all. just because i appreciate his coaching skills doesnt mean i would want to subject a friend or relative to his manners. i.e. i would not recommend him to someone i knew to play for him at this time based on the way he handled himself this past season. so buy what you want. that's your problem.

...but you"re a fan of such a bad person? Why support him if you feel this way?

Big time schools have all kinds of ways of getting around the rules. I have connections in the Baton Rouge area with a large company who is LSU footballs biggest booster. You don't see much in the news about their recruiting scandals but I will tell you from first hand knowledge they are there. They will have some guy incorporate himself, having no ties to this company, set up in office in Florida and every weekend the top high school players out of Florida stop by this office to do some "work". Then coincidentally all these guys end up at LSU. This is just an example. Big time schools like KENTUCKY have this stuff set up. Why on earth does anyone still go to kentucky? Tradition? Please... nobody cares about tradition. If I am a highly touted prospect who is gonna generate millions of dollars for your school - What are you gonna do for me? I'd guess wine, women, and song...... oh and money

hahaha....funny stuff. Internet urban legend man.

mm