Recruiting to SLU today

slu72

The JH affair does illustrate still how difficult it is to recruit against the bigs. Especially, when it's an "elite" status program. We've now lost two recruits from a local JUCO and a high schooler, M.Roth, that none of us believed were talented enough to be on the radar of an elite school. In all 3 cases neither of the elites were involved in any early recruiting of these guys. They were very late to the party. One would think by us being on them early, especially with JH and Roth, it would have worked to our advantage given the change in coaches and the new Arena. Also, another advantage we offered was the big fish in the small pond concept vs the opposite. Again, no such luck. This just shows the allure of the bigs. All 3 were never thought to be elite type players, ie 4 or 5 star talents that the bigs covet so much. But they filled needs these teams had. I really believe JH had SLU at the top until Cowboy Billy rode into SWIC. Possibly, Stemmler and Roth as well until Kel the Cell text messaged them to come to IU. Someone posted that RM recruited JH in a half assed manner. Could it be because he knew there was no way he was not conning the blue stars out of this kid's eyes? Or, maybe JH wore his UK hoodie when they met. In either case, RM knows he's probably going to lose 99.9% of these battles. I don't think we'll see us losing a lot of recruits to the elites, as RM simply will not target them which is a waste of $$$'s and the ACs' time. Look at our incoming class, other than Thompson and Mitchell, who was really hot after Cotto, Reed, Conklin, Cassity, or Femi? They drew some late interest from some bigs, not elite bigs, but did any have other offers on the table? Our staff will concentrate on finding gems in the 2-3 star range, get early verbals, and then pray like hell they don't light up the AAU circuit in August, or come on strong their second year in JUCO ball. We now have the coach, the staff, and the facilities that can compete with the not so notable bigs, eg Mizzery, Iowa, and DePaul. But against the elites, as with the 3 players mentioned above we have little or no chance. In JH's case, it's just too bad he developed so quickly at SWIC, otherwise KY would have never given him a glance, let alone a scholie. And we should lay off the JH bashing. Who knows maybe Cowboy Billie lands this Majok kid too, and JH seeks a transfer after one year. Given his past history that doesn't seem too far fetched.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The JH affair does illustrate still how difficult it is to recruit against the bigs. Especially, when it's an "elite" status program. We've now lost two recruits from a local JUCO and a high schooler, M.Roth, that none of us believed were talented enough to be on the radar of an elite school. In all 3 cases neither of the elites were involved in any early recruiting of these guys. They were very late to the party. One would think by us being on them early, especially with JH and Roth, it would have worked to our advantage given the change in coaches and the new Arena. Also, another advantage we offered was the big fish in the small pond concept vs the opposite. Again, no such luck. This just shows the allure of the bigs. All 3 were never thought to be elite type players, ie 4 or 5 star talents that the bigs covet so much. But they filled needs these teams had. I really believe JH had SLU at the top until Cowboy Billy rode into SWIC. Possibly, Stemmler and Roth as well until Kel the Cell text messaged them to come to IU. Someone posted that RM recruited JH in a half assed manner. Could it be because he knew there was no way he was not conning the blue stars out of this kid's eyes? Or, maybe JH wore his UK hoodie when they met. In either case, RM knows he's probably going to lose 99.9% of these battles. I don't think we'll see us losing a lot of recruits to the elites, as RM simply will not target them which is a waste of $$$'s and the ACs' time. Look at our incoming class, other than Thompson and Mitchell, who was really hot after Cotto, Reed, Conklin, Cassity, or Femi? They drew some late interest from some bigs, not elite bigs, but did any have other offers on the table? Our staff will concentrate on finding gems in the 2-3 star range, get early verbals, and then pray like hell they don't light up the AAU circuit in August, or come on strong their second year in JUCO ball. We now have the coach, the staff, and the facilities that can compete with the not so notable bigs, eg Mizzery, Iowa, and DePaul. But against the elites, as with the 3 players mentioned above we have little or no chance. In JH's case, it's just too bad he developed so quickly at SWIC, otherwise KY would have never given him a glance, let alone a scholie. And we should lay off the JH bashing. Who knows maybe Cowboy Billie lands this Majok kid too, and JH seeks a transfer after one year. Given his past history that doesn't seem too far fetched.

Excellent post. I take exception to one line, though. If (and more likely when) JH considers a transfer as he slides down the KY depth chart, I don't want him here. Good riddens JH.

I agree except to say that we weren't early to the party on Josh or if we were, we weren't any earlier than Kentucky. With the release problem from W. Ill there wasn't much we could do last year.

RM knows he's probably going to lose 99.9% of these battles. I don't think we'll see us losing a lot of recruits to the elites, as RM simply will not target them which is a waste of $$$'s and the ACs' time. Look at our incoming class, other than Thompson and Mitchell, who was really hot after Cotto, Reed, Conklin, Cassity, or Femi? They drew some late interest from some bigs, not elite bigs, but did any have other offers on the table? Our staff will concentrate on finding gems in the 2-3 star range, get early verbals, and then pray like hell they don't light up the AAU circuit in August, or come on strong their second year in JUCO ball. We now have the coach, the staff, and the facilities that can compete with the not so notable bigs, eg Mizzery, Iowa, and DePaul.

i too agree with the above. i think we saw from rickma over the past year he has quickly made decisions and cut out of the fray and headed to plan B asap.

for example, i am thinking that the suggs to john was a nice adjustment. both romar and soderberg would have rode that pony to the end. rickma didnt put himself in that position to see and be left at the altar with nothing. on this josh harrelson dance, first off the dance didnt take long, and second, it appears there was no one else to turn to so rickma really had nothing to lose playing this one to the end.

based on the old utah days, we know the track record of his ability to coach up undeveloped talent. so again, while folks scratch their heads about the likes of a brett thompson or a kyle cassity, i feel certain that if they have what it takes to get past rickma boot camp, surprises await. until rickma shows he has lost that touch, gotta believe he can still make that happen. i am looking forward to watching that happen.

I agree except to say that we weren't early to the party on Josh or if we were, we weren't any earlier than Kentucky. With the release problem from W. Ill there wasn't much we could do last year.

I know we couldn't talk to him, but there were indications that after RM was brought in, JH had a desire to come to SLU. It was kind of a tacit recruiting job. I don't recall a year ago anyone saying or implying he had UK level talent, or was on any big's, elite or otherwise, radar. Never having seen him play, all I can surmise is for a kid with no offers other than WIU going into his SR year, he must have got a whole bunch better this past winter to land where he did. That's like waking up one morning in a double wide and going to sleep that night in a 42 room mansion.

This is Rick's first recruiting class. SLU is still SLU. Until he transforms SLU into "SLU" we will lose these battles. Give this seedling a chance to grow. I went to SLU 04-07, if you would have told me the state in which our program is today back then i would have laughed my a** off. Give it time. Screw fata** Josh. UK made him an offer he could not refuse... ($)

Unfair slam on Gillispie. He does not need to offer money to get a guy like Harrelson. You (and probably Kentucky) overrate how good Harrelson is. When I saw him this past season, he was definitely a project.

Josh Harrellson isn't good enough to cheat for....nor would UK have to cheat.

As mentioned above, UK was on Josh just as fast as SLU. UK was also talking to his JUCO coach back in October about Josh. So he was on the radar. Once he was released, all schools had the same starting point with direct contact.

Josh isn't a "project". He's not going to get a ton better than he is now. He's not a kid you take for his upside. He's solid at what he does. He has good hands, can pass out of the post, has a mid range jumper and has good rebounding instincts. He needs a motor that runs a bit harder and will never be super athletic. Still, he fits what a school like UK needs given his skill set and the hole that UK has to fill.

As for SLU....I disagree totally that they will always lose these battles with elites. It takes a coach 2-3 years to establish the relationships that turn into top 100 kids signing. Majerus has the name and star power needed to attract those kids in for a visit....by all of your accounts, the new facilities are impressive once they arrive. For a top kid who wants immediate PT, SLU is going to be very attractive. It just takes a bit for those kids to be identified and recruited.

Rick is going to do good...SLU will get some high major players.

Josh Harrellson isn't good enough to cheat for....nor would UK have to cheat.

Emery Worlwide anyone?

Sutton's tenure at Kentucky ended with a scandal that badly damaged the school's basketball program and his reputation. It broke out when an Emery Worldwide package sent to high school prospect Chris Mills from Kentucky assistant coach Dwane Casey popped open and $1000 in fifties jumped out. Another player, Eric Manuel, was believed to have received improper assistance on his college entrance exams and was ultimately banned from NCAA competition for life. The scandal roiled the Wildcats to the point that they suffered their first losing season in 63 years.

The NCAA seriously considered hitting the Wildcats with the "death penalty", which would have shut down the entire basketball program (as opposed to simply being banned from postseason play) for up to two years. However, school president David Roselle forced Sutton and athletic director Cliff Hagan to resign. Sutton later admitted that he didn't have enough control over the program, although he claimed he personally committed no wrongdoing. The scandal, combined with Sutton's drinking and alleged drug use, led to his forced resignation.

Maybe SLU fans should take it as a good thing that they were at least in on a recruit after Kentucky and other big schools came calling. Prior to this last year, that would never have happened. Eventually RM will will some of these recruiting battles, can't really expect it with his first class.

Maybe SLU fans should take it as a good thing that they were at least in on a recruit after Kentucky and other big schools came calling. Prior to this last year, that would never have happened.

It already did with Lance Stemler, two years ago at the same juco. Also there's a big difference with fighting for a juco recruit in the spring when high majors are flailing about trying to fill last minute holes and winning a battle for a highly coveted recruit during the summer.

It already did with Lance Stemler, two years ago at the same juco. Also there's a big difference with fighting for a juco recruit in the spring when high majors are flailing about trying to fill last minute holes and winning a battle for a highly coveted recruit during the summer.

Based on the Scout list in a different post. It doesn't look like we're after a bunch of highly coveted recruits this summer. I'm trusting the staff' judgement that these kids can compete in the A-10. Allen looks to be the best and most coveted. Sure hope he doesn't opt for football. Am confident, though, this list will grow. What happened to Anderson? I thought he was more highly rated, like a 3-4 **** kid?

Based on the Scout list in a different post. It doesn't look like we're after a bunch of highly coveted recruits this summer. I'm trusting the staff' judgement that these kids can compete in the A-10.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the most highly rated recruits in Majerus's first class were a regional recruit we already had an existing relationship with (Thompson) and a guard from Wisconsin, his home base. There aren't always going to be quality Wisconsin guards and local big men available, this year being a perfect example. I've never understood this expectation that Majerus would reel in the blue chip recruits. That isn't what he did at Utah. He brought in players that were good fits for his system, specifically 6'8/6'9/6'10 forwards that could put the ball on the floor and shoot the basketball.

Sure hope he doesn't opt for football. Am confident, though, this list will grow. What happened to Anderson? I thought he was more highly rated, like a 3-4 **** kid?

Trying to recover from the Milestone debacle at a prep school in Nashville.

Maybe SLU fans should take it as a good thing that they were at least in on a recruit after Kentucky and other big schools came calling. Prior to this last year, that would never have happened. Eventually RM will will some of these recruiting battles, can't really expect it with his first class.

both romar and soderberg came in second quite a bit. that was both their biggest problem at slu. they hung around until the end only to barely lose far too often. that is one of the biggest gains i see with rickma is he has been savvy enough to cut the effort early enough to make the push for plan B.

both romar and soderberg came in second quite a bit. that was both their biggest problem at slu. they hung around until the end only to barely lose far too often. that is one of the biggest gains i see with rickma is he has been savvy enough to cut the effort early enough to make the push for plan B.

Excellent post Roy. Your best in a while ;)

Unfair slam on Gillispie. He does not need to offer money to get a guy like Harrelson. You (and probably Kentucky) overrate how good Harrelson is. When I saw him this past season, he was definitely a project.

I'm not slamming Gillispie. I'm slamming the guy who carried Josh's bag to the bag claim at the airport and stuck a fat envelope in the side. No big time program is clean. Josh is filling a need at Kentucky... Kentucky filled a need for Josh and his family. I bet Josh has a nice off-campus job cleaning cars or babysitting kids waiting for him that pays $1,000 a week cash. If anyone thinks some added perk didn't influence this decision then you are very naive.

I'm not slamming Gillispie. I'm slamming the guy who carried Josh's bag to the bag claim at the airport and stuck a fat envelope in the side. No big time program is clean. Josh is filling a need at Kentucky... Kentucky filled a need for Josh and his family. I bet Josh has a nice off-campus job cleaning cars or babysitting kids waiting for him that pays $1,000 a week cash. If anyone thinks some added perk didn't influence this decision then you are very naive.

How do you know our "big" boosters here at SLU didn't slip a few Pasta House coupons in his bag, give him a good deal on a new Great Shark bicycle or that Mark Wright didn't slip him a twenty from the 50-50 raffle during our games? :rolleyes::P

You're an idiot....lol

You have no idea how things go down. Even if UK did cheat, that's not how it works. And they didn't.

And no program is clean...if you think so, you are fooling yourself.

mm

ONe way is the coach's son takes the ACT for players having issues qualifying.

Another one, huh....lol

That's the oldest fake story I've ever heard. I know Sean Sutton very well. I knew him when he played at UK. I know all the bad stuff that was going on back then....that's a myth. Didn't happen.

mm