Harrelson per Catspause.com

davidlee

A good way to look at it is: should I do what is best me or should I go ahead stay past my curfew because it seems like a good idea because the guys are giving me a hard time and its gonna be fun, but when I get home too late my parents ground me and I wind up missing out on the real fun because I got grounded and have to do yard work. Then 10 years later when you missed that great opportunity you realize that the 10 minutes of fun with the guys was an absolute waste of time because you missed that great opportunity that doesn't come along to often.

Academics - SLU

Facilites - SLU

Conference - UK

Coaching - SLU

Tradition - UK

Reading Comprehension - SLU

Ability to speak the English Language - SLU

Proximity to World's Largest Brewer of Beer - SLU

Proximity to World's Larget Pile of Horse Sh!t - UK

Worst grass in the history of golf, Blue Grass, THANK KENTUCKY, I HATE BLUE GRASS.

Josh, GO TO SLU, Great Education, Great Coach, Help Build A Program!

FIGHT ON!

just a couple of things to think about the bluegrass state

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

That's laughable at best...

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm the guy doing the interview. My name is Marc Maggard and I've been a professional basketball scout for over a decade.

For the record, I'm also very close to Drew Diener, who played as SLU and has a cousin who is Majerus's assistant.

I have amazing respect for Majerus and find him to be one of the best coaches in America.

Now, to my point.....

I didn't put any "pressure" on Josh to say anything. I asked him about the report that he had told SLU that he was going to UK and he said "not yet" so I followed up on that remark.

I generally don't even tell kids that I have a UK site cause I don't want to color the interview, however, I had to call from a KY number and Josh was also aware of who I am before I called, so I didn't want to seem sneaky either.

I take great pride in RECORDING all my interviews so EVERYONE can hear it and see that I don't try to lead kids to say things.....

I've listened to the interview a few times now and am more than comfortable that I did nothing wrong.

So....good luck with next year. I'm far from a SLU hater....in fact, I have many fond memories of my visits to SLU and time spent with Romar on your campus. It's a beautiful campus and I hope to come visit again sometime. Majerus will put you back on the map and field a great team. He's one of the smartest coaches in the nation IMO.

Marc Maggard

[email protected]

Hey Marc. Thanks for visiting our board to explain what happened. And thanks for your kind words about SLU and Majerus. UK basketball is big time, but I can't believe how far we have come in one year to give you guys a battle for this recruit. I'm looking forward to the next battle.

Hey Marc. Thanks for visiting our board to explain what happened. And thanks for your kind words about SLU and Majerus. UK basketball is big time, but I can't believe how far we have come in one year to give you guys a battle for this recruit. I'm looking forward to the next battle.

Yeah, SLU is going to be the next big mid major success story IMO. IT takes a while for a coach to get his recruiting going. Josh was a kid that came available late, and that's not the best scenario for an up and coming program to take on a traditional power....makes it hard for the up and comer to make headway.

Still, give Majerus the time it takes to build those relationships and you'll get lots of great players outta him. He's got a great eye for talent and can develop 2-3 star kids into elite teams. Should be fun for all of you....even the moderately rude posters that are here....haha.

mm

Nah, that has nothing to do with my massive interview skills....it just means I know a lot more about basketball than you do.

snuggles

mm

Lol. I was staying out of this whole argument. I wished Josh well, hell I would probably have done the same thing. Also, I appreciate Marc coming to the board and giving his insight, but for the love of God, get off your throne. Your a small time basketball scout.

Yeah, SLU is going to be the next big mid major success story IMO. IT takes a while for a coach to get his recruiting going. Josh was a kid that came available late, and that's not the best scenario for an up and coming program to take on a traditional power....makes it hard for the up and comer to make headway.

Still, give Majerus the time it takes to build those relationships and you'll get lots of great players outta him. He's got a great eye for talent and can develop 2-3 star kids into elite teams. Should be fun for all of you....even the moderately rude posters that are here....haha.

mm

this guy is hillarious. anyone else picturing the original "bad news bears" when they present the trophy and the yankme smarta$$ kid gives the condenscending apology to the bears and then the bears tell the yankme's what they can do with their trophy?

just curious mark, was merle your grandfather? i bet you look just like him.

mm

I was enjoying your contributions until you used "mid major." I'll respect the sports media in general a lot more once they stop being lazy and use this term for any program outside a BCS conference that they don't know how to classify. "Mid major success story" is a slap in the face, a huge backhanded compliment. Your tone is very patronizing, that of a fan of a big program patting a little program on the head to try and make it feel better. I just wonder how different the tone from UK would be today had SLU won this little recruiting battle.

I'd imagine it would be a lot like the tone in Lexington after the loss to Gardner-Webb this past season.

Nah, that has nothing to do with my massive interview skills....it just means I know a lot more about basketball than you do.

snuggles

mm

You are the greatest Maggard. We're all very impressed with your expansive knowledge and are overwhelmed with excitement because you've graced us with your presence on this mid-major basketball board.

Why do I have the feeling that you live in your parent's basement?

I was enjoying your contributions until you used "mid major." I'll respect the sports media in general a lot more once they stop being lazy and use this term for any program outside a BCS conference that they don't know how to classify. "Mid major success story" is a slap in the face, a huge backhanded compliment. Your tone is very patronizing, that of a fan of a big program patting a little program on the head to try and make it feel better. I just wonder how different the tone from UK would be today had SLU won this little recruiting battle.

I'd imagine it would be a lot like the tone in Lexington after the loss to Gardner-Webb this past season.

Oh, please. SLU is a mid major. Nothing wrong with saying that. It's true. It's not a knock on SLU at all, it's the classification of their level.

Feel free to take your frustrations out on me if you want, but come on.....lol

mm

Lol. I was staying out of this whole argument. I wished Josh well, hell I would probably have done the same thing. Also, I appreciate Marc coming to the board and giving his insight, but for the love of God, get off your throne. Your a small time basketball scout.

It's should read "you're" a small time basketball scout.....but I got the meaning.

I guess that depends on what you mean by small time....Most of the teams in the NCAA tournament are clients of mine, but ok...small time is fine by me.

mm

Oh, please. SLU is a mid major. Nothing wrong with saying that. It's true. It's not a knock on SLU at all, it's the classification of their level.

Feel free to take your frustrations out on me if you want, but come on.....lol

mm

You must admit the term is overused - besides BCS who isn't a mid-major? Where's the line? And where's the line between mid-major and just plain lower-minor?

You are the greatest Maggard. We're all very impressed with your expansive knowledge and are overwhelmed with excitement because you've graced us with your presence on this mid-major basketball board.

Why do I have the feeling that you live in your parent's basement?

I got no reason why you have that feeling. I live on the lake in Austin Texas. I do have a basement, however.

And thanks for the compliments....I enjoy gracing mid majors......

Some of you are kinda funny. I've been nothing but complimentary of SLU. There is nothing wrong with the term "mid major" and I am certainly willing to hear why some think it's bad, or why they think SLU should be classified as a high major program.

mm

You must admit the term is overused - besides BCS who isn't a mid-major? Where's the line? And where's the line between mid-major and just plain lower-minor?

I don't overuse it. There is no CLEAR definition of a schools classification...some programs slide from one to another, but there is clearly a different level of basketball from one school to the next.

In the scouting business, there are Elite, High major, mid major, low major, D2, NAIA, D3 and Juco. Those are the terms we use when describing a players level of skill to other coaches. And SLU generally recruits high major to mid major players.

There are lots of D1 schools who don't rise to the "mid major" level. Most of the auto big leagues have elite to mid major teams in them.....the rest are low majors.

mm

I got no reason why you have that feeling. I live on the lake in Austin Texas. I do have a basement, however.

Some of you are kinda funny. I've been nothing but complimentary of SLU. There is nothing wrong with the term "mid major" and I am certainly willing to hear why some think it's bad, or why they think SLU should be classified as a high major program.

mm

if you cant see how patronizing and insulting you have been with your "complimentary" presense here you are clueless.

mm

It is an interesting discussion. Who is the keeper of the labels? Are Penn State, Northwestern, South Florida, Seton Hall, as a few examples "majors" because they are in major conferences? And Xavier, Gonzaga, Memphis, Butler "mid major" because of their conference affiliation?

Were we "major" when we were in C-USA with the likes of Louisville, Cincinnati, Marquette?

Is it conference affiliation or performance on the court?

if you cant see how patronizing and insulting you have been with your "complimentary" presense here you are clueless.

Oh please....."your" a jackass.

I am WAY past patronizing anyone. I've BEEN insulted here....I came here to address the situation and offer any insight and talk hoops. i was greeted by rudeness by a majority of the responses to my COMPLIMENTARY remarks.

You can choose to try to view them however you want, but I don't know how you can honestly say that my remarks were anything but complmentary toward SLU....regardless of the apparent sensitivity to "mid major", which I can't understand for the life of me.

mm

It is an interesting discussion. Who is the keeper of the labels? Are Penn State, Northwestern, South Florida, Seton Hall, as a few examples "majors" because they are in major conferences? And Xavier, Gonzaga, Memphis, Butler "mid major" because of their conference affiliation?

Were we "major" when we were in C-USA with the likes of Louisville, Cincinnati, Marquette?

Is it conference affiliation or performance on the court?

Conference affiliation has far less to do with it...but it does help an otherwise low major land some better players if they are in a major conference.

Xavier, Gonzaga, Memphis and Butler are all high majors. Gonzaga wasn't a decade ago...they were a mid major when I started in 1997.

Penn St and Seton Hall are high majors by most standards....South Florida and Northwestern are considered mid majors by most I speak to.

No, SLU has not been considered a high major in the 15 years I've been involved in basketball scouting....regardless of the CUSA affiliation.

Again, there isn't anything wrong with being mid major. Most schools would KILL to be a mid major.

HOWEVER, I'd like to hear why some of you who object think that SLU should be classified as a high major program. I'm no SLU expert, so maybe I'm missing something.

hope that helps a little.

mm

Oh please....."your" a jackass.

I am WAY past patronizing anyone. I've BEEN insulted here....I came here to address the situation and offer any insight and talk hoops. i was greeted by rudeness by a majority of the responses to my COMPLIMENTARY remarks.

You can choose to try to view them however you want, but I don't know how you can honestly say that my remarks were anything but complmentary toward SLU....regardless of the apparent sensitivity to "mid major", which I can't understand for the life of me.

mm

I appreciate your insight and the fact that you got the story right.

FYI, though, "Mid-major" to the A-10 and other similar conferences is a sticky wicket. Its often used by BCS conferences to dismiss or demean non-BCS programs. I understand that you don't see that but its a label that gets thrown our way all the time. Curious though, are Gonzaga, Xavier, St. Joe and perennial top "non-football" schools of that ilk "mid-major"?

Conference affiliation has far less to do with it...but it does help an otherwise low major land some better players if they are in a major conference.

Xavier, Gonzaga, Memphis and Butler are all high majors. Gonzaga wasn't a decade ago...they were a mid major when I started in 1997.

Penn St and Seton Hall are high majors by most standards....South Florida and Northwestern are considered mid majors by most I speak to.

No, SLU has not been considered a high major in the 15 years I've been involved in basketball scouting....regardless of the CUSA affiliation.

Again, there isn't anything wrong with being mid major. Most schools would KILL to be a mid major.

HOWEVER, I'd like to hear why some of you who object think that SLU should be classified as a high major program. I'm no SLU expert, so maybe I'm missing something.

mm

What's the difference between Penn State basketball and SLU basketball?

mm

I'm not interested in debating whether SLU is considered a mid major or a high major. I am interested in hearing your opinion on whether or not you think facilities should play a role in categorizing a program.

What's the difference between Penn State basketball and SLU basketball?

Not a ton on the court in terms of wins/losses over the past few years.

But they play in the Big 10, which means they generally have a tough SOS and play more "big name" teams. That means a lot to recruits. The A 10 has some good teams like Xavier, Temple and Umass recently (not great post Cal prior Ford)...but past those types, you play lesser conf foes and that does matter a bit.

Don't get me wrong, you can argue against Penn St. They are on the bottom of that "high major" rung, but I'd have to say playing in one of the top conferences does lift em up to that level. And they've had some decent years this decade as well.

mm