Hinson out at MSU and get this

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bobby Knight might be in. Supposedly the O'Reily Autoparts family will pay a large part of the next coaches salary. Spoon is also getting mentioned along with Jay.

http://coachingnewsonline.com/index.php?op...5&Itemid=29

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/7871718...ces:-Hinson-won

I forget all of the coaching jobs that were open last year, so i could very well be wrong, but this, combined with the Indiana opening makes me glad that SLU was finally ahead of the curve on something.

Would we get RM this year if SLU had an opening along side Indiana and MSU? I would say no.

I forget all of the coaching jobs that were open last year, so i could very well be wrong, but this, combined with the Indiana opening makes me glad that SLU was finally ahead of the curve on something.

Would we get RM this year if SLU had an opening along side Indiana and MSU? I would say no.

-to me this shows a couple of things...

-another example where the power those guys in the room in Indy have is far, far reaching

-men's d1 bball is a business, a big business

-winning 19 games or having a 34 rpi means nothing, you need jim nantz or whoever to announce your school's name on that sunday

-i don't want to think yet about what happens if we are not in at least one of the next 2 tourneys after this year's

-this is another example of why coaches want a bigger field, to keep their jobs

I'm (kind of) surprised that Spoon is being mentioned. I wonder if they'd hire him to coach for a couple of years and then transition the job to Jay. Spoon is pushing 70.

who was it that said "you can't go home again"?

-to me this shows a couple of things...

-another example where the power those guys in the room in Indy have is far, far reaching

-men's d1 bball is a business, a big business

-winning 19 games or having a 34 rpi means nothing, you need jim nantz or whoever to announce your school's name on that sunday

-i don't want to think yet about what happens if we are not in at least one of the next 2 tourneys after this year's

-this is another example of why coaches want a bigger field, to keep their jobs

I feel bad for Hinson. He should have been in the tournament a couple of times and he seems like a pretty good guy.

The MSU job is a pretty damn good job. The have the new arena opening up next year and it looks like they will spend whatever it takes to be big time. It helps when you have boosters like Hammons and now the O'Reilly family willing to throw money around.

The MSU job is a pretty damn good job. The have the new arena opening up next year and it looks like they will spend whatever it takes to be big time. It helps when you have boosters like Hammonds and now the O'Reilly family willing to throw money around.

Don't expect Knight to be wearing Maroon and White. I put the odds of it happening in the single digits, but it is fun to talk about. It is true that Knight and the O'Reilly family are good friends, but I doubt that Knight will make his next career decision based on his friendship with the O'Reillys.

Don't expect Knight to be wearing Maroon and White. I put the odds of it happening in the single digits, but it is fun to talk about. It is true that Knight and the O'Reilly family are good friends, but I doubt that Knight will make his next career decision based on his friendship with the O'Reillys.

Money talks. If they offer him enough money and show him they will spend on the other things needed to take the program to the next level I think he seriously considers it. In a lot of ways the MSU job is better than the Texas Tech job was when he took over there.

Neither Bobby Knight or C. Spoonhour are anything more than viable assistant coaches in 2008. Bobby Knight could, if he wanted, run around the country for jobs but can't outrun his poor reputation with recruits. Charlie is light-years past relevance. The two of them should have a sort of good cop/ bad cop fishing show.

There is absolute no way Knight takes that job. I don't understand why they'd want to bring Spoon back. You'd think they would want to go in a different direction than either Charlie of Jay. With the money they're throwing around I'm pretty sure they'll be able to land a big time assistant. That job does have a lot going for it. Hinson was good but as mentioned before, the name of the game is the NCAA tourney.

Springfield fans never warmed up to Hinson. They felt he was a decent recruiter, but lacked the cerebral skills of his predecessors. I know Billiken fans would find that hard to believe because MO State regularly cleaned up on SLU, but MO State could never get over the hump. I have no confidence in the AD Rowe, who will control the search process, so I think it would be a mistake to let go of Hinson.

Neither Bobby Knight or C. Spoonhour are anything more than viable assistant coaches in 2008. Bobby Knight could, if he wanted, run around the country for jobs but can't outrun his poor reputation with recruits. Charlie is light-years past relevance. The two of them should have a sort of good cop/ bad cop fishing show.

Bobby Night will jump at this opportunity. He understands that he can't recruit high major players with his reputation. The MVC would be the perfect fit for him, so he thinks. Knight and Majerus must realize that the game has changed. Why would they even consider Spoonhour ? There are too many good young coaches available.

Bobby Night will jump at this opportunity. He understands that he can't recruit high major players with his reputation. The MVC would be the perfect fit for him, so he thinks. Knight and Majerus must realize that the game has changed. Why would they even consider Spoonhour ? There are too many good young coaches available.

i thought bobby knight just quit because he was tired? so why would he want to start over building a different program?

i will be shocked if knight ever coaches again.

Whatever you're smoking, please share with the rest of us. Bob Knight didn't just quit at Texas Tech because he was tired to go to Missouri State to coach basketball.

Whatever you're smoking, please share with the rest of us. Bob Knight didn't just quit at Texas Tech because he was tired to go to Missouri State to coach basketball.

He quit becuase he wanted to make sure Pat got a shot at the job. There was talk at Tech that he might have been fired at the end of the season. If he got fired Pat would have never had a chance at the job.

i thought bobby knight just quit because he was tired? so why would he want to start over building a different program?

i will be shocked if knight ever coaches again.

Roy, you are right, but based on some comments made by Dick Vitale after speaking to Knight, we haven't seen the last of the General. Vitale said something along the lines of ' Mark my words, we will see Bob Knight coach college basketball again' during a broadcast several weeks back.

From the Fox Sports article,

"The opening will be one of the most sought-after in the country, especially with the school opening a brand-new facility next season."

I highly doubt it. Not with Indiana and LSU open. I'm sure other more appealing jobs will open up as well.

Roy, you are right, but based on some comments made by Dick Vitale after speaking to Knight, we haven't seen the last of the General. Vitale said something along the lines of ' Mark my words, we will see Bob Knight coach college basketball again' during a broadcast several weeks back.

i didnt know anyone turned the sound up for games that dukie v is doing anymore. you really listen to the guy?

From the Fox Sports article,

"The opening will be one of the most sought-after in the country, especially with the school opening a brand-new facility next season."

I highly doubt it. Not with Indiana and LSU open. I'm sure other more appealing jobs will open up as well.

Cool, now we got the Tiger fans taking shots at MSU in addition to SLU on this board. Believe it or not the MSU job is a good one. It is not IU or LSU, but a lot of people will go after this job. Every top young assitant in the country will want that job.

He quit becuase he wanted to make sure Pat got a shot at the job. There was talk at Tech that he might have been fired at the end of the season. If he got fired Pat would have never had a chance at the job.

From Dick Vitale:

The news came from out of Lubbock, Texas on Monday. Bob Knight decided to step down as head coach of Texas Tech. Was I totally shocked by this development? Not really.

You have to understand that when the urge to coach disappears, and the desire to go to practice and teach is gone, then it is time for a change. When a coach no longer wants to go into that battle, and there is a frustration there, it is time to move on.

Bob Knight has a very diversified life. He loves to fish and hunt. There are many interests. With things in place for a transition, with his son Patrick taking over as head coach of the Red Raiders, this is a good time for a change.

The continuity and stability in this transition helps explain this decision. This will give Patrick the opportunity to gain experience through the remainder of this season, in preparation for running the show in 2008-09.

People have to understand that Bob Knight had a Hall of Fame career with 902 wins, three national championships, and numerous players that rave about the discipline he instilled in his teams. He has achieved so much on and off the court.

He has reached a point where he is not motivated and is simply tired. It is time for Pat Knight to run the program and you know Bob will support his son.

Bob Knight had the utmost respect for Texas Tech athletic director Gerald Myers. Knight truly appreciated Myers for giving him the opportunity to return to the collegiate sidelines after the departure from Indiana.

To me, Knight will always be synonymous with Indiana basketball. I have said it time and time again that the school should rename the facility the Robert Montgomery Knight Assembly Hall.

It is very difficult to win at Texas Tech. That said, Knight had great success in Lubbock; in his first six years at Tech, he led the Red Raiders to five 20-win seasons. Battling against Kansas, Texas, Oklahoma, Texas A&M and others in the Big 12 is a true challenge. Basketball is simply thought of at a higher level at most of those schools than in Lubbock.

There was a burning desire to compete, to try to cut the nets down. Knight was a guy who believed that every time he stepped on the floor, his teams could beat the opponent's five players.

My friends, you have to have talent, and certainly you won't get the same level at Texas Tech that you got at Indiana. He did an incredible job everywhere he coached.

Let's also remember that he never had one single problem with a recruiting violation. He did things the right way, making sure everyone knew that he had student-athletes. Academics were always part of the formula for success. He was about winning with people who understood that it was student first.

Postcard do you think you are going to get great insight on what was happening in Lubbock from a Bobby Knight mouth piece like Dick Vitale?

If that article was the true reason Knight left, Vitale wouldn't have been pimping him for other jobs almost imediately after he resigned. If Vitale believed that he wouldn't be saying Knight will be coaching again.

Postcard do you think you are going to get great insight on what was happening in Lubbock from a Bobby Knight mouth piece like Dick Vitale?

If that article was the true reason Knight left, Vitale wouldn't have been pimping him for other jobs almost imediately after he resigned. If Vitale believed that he wouldn't be saying Knight will be coaching again.

There is as much chance as Knight coaching in Springfield next year as your Monmouth team making the tourney this year.