Tyler Griffey to Illinois

Westy03

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i disagree on your statement on the naia. i think the naia is on par as a whole with division II basketball and the top naia schools could beat the lower d-1 schools. you obviously have never went to watch some of the good mckendree teams the last 25 years and while they have been ranked in some years even in their down years i would bet on them beating umsl.

I was really referring to the Oak Hill's etc. that have 8 or 9 high level DI guys on their rosters (hence my "few" comment)...not trying to disparage NAIA basketball, who often times, teams will have many higher level athletes that couldn't qualify for DI etc, and teams that play together much better than many of the lower level DI teams.

Many of the low DI's are playground basketball and would get beaten by the top DII's, NAIA's etc.

Poplar Bluff is probably not considered in the "area" so it may not be pertinent, but Hansbrough was the best HS player I've ever seen play from this area (Alonzo Mourning was the best overall live).

He clearly didn't have the athleticism of Miles, or the flair of Ellis', but he was a monster in HS. I watched him play twice where he didn't miss a shot (3's, FT's 2's) and saw him steal the ball from a guard, dribble the length of the court, and dunk it on a helpless post player at the other end. All of these kids were on another level when you watched them play live though.

I thought Alex Tyus was a solid player, for a really bad team.

Good points. If it were me, I would be looking for that opportunity to play plus the academic cache of SLU. I guess i just wouldn't be content not playing.

If it were me and I was pretty sure that the NBA was never going to be an option I would be on the phone with the Ivy League coaches.

While I am really glad Shaw came to the Saluki's, I never understood how he could have turned down Stanford for the Dawgs. Especially since academics were not a problem.

I was watching the SEMO-Austin Peay game the other night, and they were talking about a guy at Tennessee-Martin who had a quadruple double this year. It was over an NAIA team, but still impressive.

Edit: found a link - Link

There is a blurb article on this guy in Si this week. He had his quadruple double against Houston Baptist. He's averaging close to 27 ppg and had nights of over 30 against Memphis and some SEC teams.

Poplar Bluff is probably not considered in the "area" so it may not be pertinent, but Hansbrough was the best HS player I've ever seen play from this area (Alonzo Mourning was the best overall live).

He clearly didn't have the athleticism of Miles, or the flair of Ellis', but he was a monster in HS. I watched him play twice where he didn't miss a shot (3's, FT's 2's) and saw him steal the ball from a guard, dribble the length of the court, and dunk it on a helpless post player at the other end. All of these kids were on another level when you watched them play live though.

I thought Alex Tyus was a solid player, for a really bad team.

The Alonzo vs. LaPhonso was maybe the most hyped match-up in the Coca-Cola, Seven-Up, KMOX Shootout ever.

I was really referring to the Oak Hill's etc. that have 8 or 9 high level DI guys on their rosters (hence my "few" comment)...not trying to disparage NAIA basketball, who often times, teams will have many higher level athletes that couldn't qualify for DI etc, and teams that play together much better than many of the lower level DI teams.

Many of the low DI's are playground basketball and would get beaten by the top DII's, NAIA's etc.

oak hill isnt a high school. it is a basketball factory. total joke imo.

If it were me and I was pretty sure that the NBA was never going to be an option I would be on the phone with the Ivy League coaches.

you can be on the phone all you want, but if that ivy league coach talks to you he/she likely commits an ncaa violation just to say "i cant talk to you." let alone have a real conversation until you get released and formerly are detached from your original school.

also, dont the ivy league schools only give academic scholarships?

Maybe the players you all thing should go elsewhere should put in the extra time on their own improving their game and put out the nessecary effort at practice to make it hard for RM to let them go.

It looks like that might be what Adam K has done. I think he has decided he wants to learn and improvel.

JMHO

Kind of like Vashon over the past decade...all good high school programs recruit. Maybe not to the extent of Oak Hill I'll agree...

question to STLHI in particular: Do you think Malik White would have gone D-1?

Guest BillikenReport

The poster formerly known as VTime thinks everyone who played at Vashon between 1978 and 2006 should have gone D-1.

Guest BillikenReport

Nate what do you think?

It's possible, but it's difficult to tell. White was a tall kid as a youngster, but Vashon had a couple big kids there for a few years who had trouble getting off the end of the bench.

This might be one of the most random threads in Billikens.com history.

I have no clue because he was only a sophomore that didn't play much, but he was in class of 2004 and that team went 31-0 that year. It would've and won most games by at least 20 points. It would've been cool to see him on that team and playing alongside 6'9 Curtis Muse.

I have no clue because he was only a sophomore that didn't play much, but he was in class of 2004 and that team went 31-0 that year. It would've and won most games by at least 20 points. It would've been cool to see him on that team and playing alongside 6'9 Curtis Muse.

Is Muse still ripping it up at N. Texas?

While I am really glad Shaw came to the Saluki's, I never understood how he could have turned down Stanford for the Dawgs. Especially since academics were not a problem.

I didn't think the Ivy league offered athletic sholarships. Not that they wouldn't try to find something for a good athlete if they could.

Maybe I'm wrong.

i disagree on your statement on the naia. i think the naia is on par as a whole with division II basketball and the top naia schools could beat the lower d-1 schools. you obviously have never went to watch some of the good mckendree teams the last 25 years and while they have been ranked in some years even in their down years i would bet on them beating umsl.

Remember they beat us years ago. I think Steve Lanter who had been a very good point guard his first two years at Illinois before blowing out his knee was on that team. I think he went to McKendree to play with his brother since he still had eligibility left. I don't think we've played them since.