McKinney -- stranger things HAVE happened ...

Taj79

.. I don't think McKinney wanting to come home or back to St. Louis is all that strange. I thought the Jamal Johnson and Evan Pedersen transfers were stranger still. Johnson was a senior at Miami of Florida and only had one year here on a questionable team. Pedersen came back after what, three years at Northwestern and off a Mormon mission? Those seem a lot more strange than talk of McKinney coming home.

I'd have to question whether or not you take him. The greed in me says "absolutely" but I don't know. It has nothing to do with his talent or our lack of talent ... but shouldn't the kid stick to his committment? Forget the scandal (if there is one) but what happen to honoring one's word? I know, I know .... McKinney won't be the first and he surely won't be the last but where I'm going seems to be against all that is college basketball right now. Its all against revoking scholarships and running kids off if you change coaches or they fail to live up to expectations. A kid makes a committment, he should honor it. So too should the school. If the coach is a failed recruiter .... so be it. If the coach can't evaluate talent .. so be it. In the long run, this would hurt a school like us more because I have yet to see any of our administrations "nail it" on the evaluation end. Ty Caswell. Ricky Cranford. Corey Frazier. And there were more even though these are all recent Spoon recruits. We go back and forth on Ian and Ivan and JJ so there it goes.

Marquette could be an ugly one but as long as its a win, I'll take it. At this rate, you'd have to root for Cincy to take the league. That way, if we can get in as a six or seven seed, we wouldn't have to see them until the final game in Cincy at the C-WHO tourney. Winning that is our only hope for dancing and if we get that far, I'd be willing to bet the NIT is a lock at that point.

I hear what you are saying about sticking to the committment and all. However, what about the kid that finds out he makes a mistake and really overestimates a program, coach, or team that he is currently playing for. Doesn't he have the right to seek happiness elsewhere? Doesn't he have the right to play in a system with a coach and with teamates that are going to benefit him as a player and person more than just sticking with something that may not be working. Now, your point is valid and I can accept that arguement, but I can also see the other side of the coin where sometimes, somethings are just not meant to be and they are not working out for both parties---the player and the team.

Defense is key over here and I have to be honest. I was at the UNLV game yesterday and JMAC looked really bad against some bad players on the Dside of the ball. Now granted everyone has a bad day. Also, even if he did transfer, wh/ in my eyes is doubtful, then I'm not really sure where he would fit if Mizzou had sanctions and he could play right away. I know Brad likes three guards but Reggie and Jimmy make for a pretty crowded house when that scholie could be used on a rebounder wh/ seems to be a more desperate need right now.

I didn't watch yesterdays game but it has been my experience that Jimmy is a pretty good defender. Most of the time he is the only tiger who will defend.

I don't begrudge kids who transfer. While a committment was made they still are just kids. If a situation isn't working out or they are not ahppy it is their perrogative to choose to go to a different school or quit altogether.

that he can teach defense. He'll take the athletic, offensive player everytime over a less talented, rugged defender. Let's remember the same questions we have about McKinney's defense were the same questions being asked about Reggie Bryant's defense. We've seen steady improvement from Bryant, why couldn't we expect the same from McKinney. There's no doubt in my mind that Brad takes McKinney in a heartbeat.

Usually I am in awe of Taj79's logic and analysis of Billikens and college hoops. However, his thinking on transfers is a little flawed. We see everyday in the real world failed expectations, and Taj seems to be implying this can't be in College hoops. Why is a transfer any different than a person taking a job only to find out his/her boss is not the person presented in the interview. Take a poll, I'll bet a lot of us have had this experience. What do you do, stay and be miserable because you committed to the job, they paid for you moving expenses? There are situations in life where what you anticipated or expected about a decision you made is not really the case. I also believe the same applies on the other side of the coin. I stated earlier that JJ has had adequate time to grasp what UB wants from him. Assuming, and this is a big assumption, that JJ is just not complying with his boss' wishes, what would be wrong with he an UB sitting down and saying "this ain't working, maybe you'd be happier someplace else." I am not for running kids off and Taj is right if the coach screwed up then he pays the price of a wasted scholie. But if neither party is happy, it may be better and more productive for all concerned to part ways. Now we're all doing a lot of speculating here about Jimmie McKinney and his status at Mizzery. Who knows, he may love Columbia, love Q, love his teammates, love his studies. If that's the case he's not leaving. But if he's going to his room everynight calling mom and dad saying he's miserable, why shouldn't he seek an out? I know I'd be hardpressed to tell my child to stick it out in a place, job, marriage that is proving not to be the nirvana you expected. But only after they have given it a fair shot. JM's had two years at Mizzery to my way of thinking he's given it a fair chance. Sometimes the glove just doesn't fit.

... I understand both your points .... I don't have the answers, just offering that perspective. To whomever pointed out that we have a similar situation now with RB, I say you are right. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer and kids are young and fickle and maybe even more fickle becasue each might believe themselves to be the next Jordan and that time and age.

I don't know the answers ... should a John Lucas be given carte blanche given the Baylor situation to transfer to Okie State? To that I'd say yes. If a program goes belly-up and on probation because of something the coach or staff did should a recruit in that situation suffer? Well how do you decide if the kid is or was a part of the problem?

I offer for discussion ... not that I have the answers.

I'm sure Brad would love to take a guy like Jimmy but lets say its April and Jimmy announces his intention to leave (I don't think it'll happen myself but lets just act like it does). At this point I assume the TL situation is still up in the air. Regardless, we only have one scholarship to give and are desparately in need of a power forward. What do you do? Take a guy that won't help you for a year or go after a guy that could start immediatey and fill your one glaring hole? What if TL has qualified and is in the fold? Do we really need another guard/SF, especially if things are going well with Lisch. I agree, it'd be a good problem to have but in no way is it a lay-up as to which way Brad would go.

"I'm sure Brad would love to take a guy like Jimmy but lets say its April and Jimmy announces his intention to leave (I don't think it'll happen myself but lets just act like it does). At this point I assume the TL situation is still up in the air. Regardless, we only have one scholarship to give and are desparately in need of a power forward. What do you do?"

The decision rests with Tommie. Point blank, he needs to decide by the beginning of the spring signing period whether he will be going to prep school or coming to SLU as a partial qualifier. We all love Tommie, but he shouldn't get a blank check.

You make some great points about McKinney in particular and transfers in general. At Villanova, Bryant and the coach decided it was in the best interest of both parties that Reggie transfer. I don't know if that is the case with McKinney but if it is, it would certainly be in the interest of all parties for him to transfer.

I am not sure if the best fit would be SLU. I can see a duplicate role to Liddell and we would have Liddell for four years even if he has to go to prep school the first year. McKinney would only have two years eligibility. I understand Liddell is willing to work with SLU in any way he can to acheive eligibility since he is committed attend SLU nowtwithstanding his eligibility situation.