Recent events with Majerus

Billikan

I know a lot of people in town and most associate me with Billiken basketball as a rabid fan and supporter. Over the last few weeks I have had numerous people come up to me and sugest they had a negative reaction to the SI article and ask me what I thought. What I have repeatedly said was that there are many positives in that article and some sensationalized incidents that do not reflect well on the coach but overall I think he is good for SLU and is a good coach with the right intentions for the kids. Then the last two days I have heard numerous comments on the more recent contraversy. Almost everyone thinks that Burke did not handle this correctly but most then go on and say that majerus seems to want to get publicity for his political views and the reaction goes from skeptical to negative.

I sure wish we could get beyond these things but it seems to me that with his comments in the SI article and this recent mess Majerus has become an even more contraversial figure than he was when he arrived. Bobby Knight is in the background when compared to Majerus. I am fascinated to see how this all plays out. Some say any publicity is good publicity so long as they spell the name right! I sure hope they are right in this situation.

I know a lot of people in town and most associate me with Billiken basketball as a rabid fan and supporter. Over the last few weeks I have had numerous people come up to me and sugest they had a negative reaction to the SI article and ask me what I thought. What I have repeatedly said was that there are many positives in that article and some sensationalized incidents that do not reflect well on the coach but overall I think he is good for SLU and is a good coach with the right intentions for the kids. Then the last two days I have heard numerous comments on the more recent contraversy. Almost everyone thinks that Burke did not handle this correctly but most then go on and say that majerus seems to want to get publicity for his political views and the reaction goes from skeptical to negative.

I sure wish we could get beyond these things but it seems to me that with his comments in the SI article and this recent mess Majerus has become an even more contraversial figure than he was when he arrived. Bobby Knight is in the background when compared to Majerus. I am fascinated to see how this all plays out. Some say any publicity is good publicity so long as they spell the name right! I sure hope they are right in this situation.

Billikan, you need to step back from fray and take a look at yourself. You jump to the extremes quicker than anyone on this board. Grow-up just a bit and quit being so paranoid.

Also, for my money, you are the biggest hypocrite on this board.

Billikan, you need to step back from fray and take a look at yourself. You jump to the extremes quicker than anyone on this board. Grow-up just a bit and quit being so paranoid.

Also, for my money, you are the biggest hypocrite on this board.

this is my last ever reply to anything you post--you established your prejudices against me as a Catholic and a person who is involved in Catholic instirutions in the community. In your mind any vile comment about me or Catholics is fully justified. You are the hypocrite--You hate Catholics and yet pretend to support a Catholic university and its basketball team. I choose--as is my right-- to have nothing to do with you.

In your mind any vile comment about me or Catholics is fully justified. You are the hypocrite--You hate Catholics and yet pretend to support a Catholic university and its basketball team.

You are a juvenile. I apologized for my comments and admitted a couple of times it was a little much.

I never said i hated catholics.

Supporting a Catholic university and not buying wholesale what the Catholic church is selling are not mutually exclusive actions.

I choose--as is my right-- to have nothing to do with you.

Fine, take your ball and go home. You might want to stomp a little more too, it makes the hissy-fits you throw all the more enjoyable.

Boo hoo Billikan. You are a grown-up baby. It's comical.

Didn't Booby Knight one time say something like, there's no such thing as rape. It was a big controversy when he said it, but it died. Let's let this thing die. RM's entitled to his opinions, be they political, theological, or philosophical. As for the SI article, yeah, it was unflattering to some degree, but the bottom line is this guy is passionate about hoops. Anyone who shares that passion, would be wise to consider playing for him. Would agree he needs to step up the next time his views on abortion and stem cell are questioned and say "my position is known, drop it. "

The way I'm approaching it is that it's keeping things interesting and deflecting attention from the fact that our team is not so good this year. I don't like hearing people say disparaging things about our alma mater or the Billikens, but I much prefer the debate over our coach's right to speak his mind over jokes about only scoring 20 points in a game. I just hope that Majerus is able to work his usual magic and get us into the tournament next year. By his nature, he's going to be the center of controversy every so often, but as long as we win, the controversy will be easier to handle.

You are a juvenile. I apologized for my comments and admitted a couple of times it was a little much.

I never said i hated catholics.

Supporting a Catholic university and not buying wholesale what the Catholic church is selling are not mutually exclusive actions.

Fine, take your ball and go home. You might want to stomp a little more too, it makes the hissy-fits you throw all the more enjoyable.

Boo hoo Billikan. You are a grown-up baby. It's comical.

What a debacle.

I took "World Religions".

One of the basketball players, (at the time), a starter, asked Father, re: reincarnation prioritiztion, "what would be lower, a rock or a spider?"

For the people who think Majerus is trying to get fired, Bernie Mikilasz just posted this on stltoday.com and he gives an insight on who the new AD might be.

I can assure you he isn't trying to get fired.

Quite the opposite, actually.

He's got a lot going on right now in his planning for the SLU hoops future.

He and Biondi have been discussing some long-term things (beneficial) about SLU basketball. And the AD who is coming in is a Majerus guy.

Please: enough with the conspiracy theories.

--B

All of this news seems amplified because we are SLU fans. Nobody else cares. Majerus is not more controversial than anyone else.

next year, who in the st louis area this very second is more known nationally by more demographics than rickma? personally, i think at this very second, no one.

while it may be amplified by us as hardcore fans, it also is heard by more people than anyone else that is "making noise" out of st louis.

People have now heard of this program. When Michael Jordan wore those shoes and got fined $5,000 per game back in the day that was the cheapest best ad nike has ever done. I see this being the same for SLU. You can't pay for this type of publicity. Its not negative publicity, that man has opinions so does everyone. For any recruit who didn't have RM's name on the radar its there now. We are headline news with a mediocre team.

People have now heard of this program. When Michael Jordan wore those shoes and got fined $5,000 per game back in the day that was the cheapest best ad nike has ever done. I see this being the same for SLU. You can't pay for this type of publicity. Its not negative publicity, that man has opinions so does everyone. For any recruit who didn't have RM's name on the radar its there now. We are headline news with a mediocre team.

you didnt answer the question. you insinuated it didnt matter what he said because outside of billiken fans majerus means nothing.

i contend that rickma is the biggest national celebrity in town.

are you agreeing but now changing your point to the "any publicity is good publicity"? that is a lot different than no one knows or cares about rickma.

Bigger national celeb in STL - Albert Pujols, he tells a fox reporter to leave a room and its headline news. not the point though

The reality is nobody cares about mediocre billiken basketball right now outside of St. Louis. RM is a big time personality so a clash with an archbishop would attract some national attention. I'll take it because the only time we are getting national attention now is when we score 20 points. This is not a big deal, if anything its good because our coach is in the spotlight once again.

Bigger national celeb in STL - Albert Pujols, he tells a fox reporter to leave a room and its headline news. not the point though

The reality is nobody cares about mediocre billiken basketball right now outside of St. Louis. RM is a big time personality so a clash with an archbishop would attract some national attention. I'll take it because the only time we are getting national attention now is when we score 20 points. This is not a big deal, if anything its good because our coach is in the spotlight once again.

i disagree on both of your thoughts. plenty of folks that are not pure baseball fans still watch sports center every night and during the last few years of college basketball had to listen to more rickma opinions on that day's college basketball games than see a 10 second highlight of an albert home run. also rickma had his day in the sun where he was a talk show circuit guy due to his giant personality. he also was the dominant personality of one of the greatest underdog campaigns in sports history in the great utah runner up season. hard core fans may agree with you but non sports fans and casual fans across the country likely know rickma more than albert.

we'll have to agree to diagree on the "any publicity is better than no publicity" stance. and rickma's publicity the last two weeks has been more the "any" kind as opposed to "good" imo.

i would prefer we are getting notice for winning basketball games or getting recruits committed. even renewing his nightclub act on leno or lettermann would be preferred over the SI article or the Hillary campaign trail imo.

I don't know if it means that people care, but the Majerus flap took up a segment on the national portion of the Steven A. Smith ESPN radio show today (i think someone was filling in for Smith).

Believe me, I would much rather the headlines be about winning and recruits than this. It might say something that some offhand comment could make huge news, wait till we are pre-season top 25 and everyone is talking about Billiken basketball for the right reasons. To some this is a negative reflection of our coach and program, but I'm happy for now we are being reflected on. Hopefully we will look back and laugh, I'm willing to laugh about it now.

Didn't Booby Knight one time say something like, there's no such thing as rape. It was a big controversy when he said it, but it died. Let's let this thing die. RM's entitled to his opinions, be they political, theological, or philosophical. As for the SI article, yeah, it was unflattering to some degree, but the bottom line is this guy is passionate about hoops. Anyone who shares that passion, would be wise to consider playing for him. Would agree he needs to step up the next time his views on abortion and stem cell are questioned and say "my position is known, drop it. "

Bobby Knight can never be theological or philosophical, his argument and actions are always questionable in criminal legal terms.. :lol:

Majerus is a great fit for SLU and a breath of fresh realistic air for St. Louis. He ain't pretty! But he is entertaining. The catholic community here is quite odd very parochial and closed to outsiders. Majerus comes from a Jesuit background that teaches students how to think not what to think! Archbishop Burke is all about telling people what to think. That is not the Church that I grew up in. It is sad really as it is overshadowing the good that is being done daily by SSM, RSCJ's, sisters of Mercy and other orders here in St. Louis and Nationwide. I hope Rick Majerus keeps being himself and if that challenges the narrow views of Archbishop Burke, great. Perhaps it will cause us to question how and why Burke is where he is.

I've been absent a few days and haven't commented on this rickma stuff.

I was at the function at McCluer North. Attendees and the media were there @ 4pm. Hillary didn't show until about 10 and stayed about 15 minutes. The media throngs were waiting around for hours with nothing to do. Majerus was there, and from what I could tell the only notable personality who showed up, outside of the political spectrum. I had a chance to talk to Coach briefly. Majerus wasn't looking to make a political statement. There were dozens of media members with nothing to do. Majerus was the only notable person there. He was getting hounded a little by them and finally agreed to answer some questions. I didn't expect him to talk at this function but I think he was sorta forced to. Media was going to continue to bother him until/if Hillary ever showed up. He gave in and gave them a few soundbites. There was nothing planned about this at all.

i disagree on both of your thoughts. plenty of folks that are not pure baseball fans still watch sports center every night and during the last few years of college basketball had to listen to more rickma opinions on that day's college basketball games than see a 10 second highlight of an albert home run. also rickma had his day in the sun where he was a talk show circuit guy due to his giant personality. he also was the dominant personality of one of the greatest underdog campaigns in sports history in the great utah runner up season. hard core fans may agree with you but non sports fans and casual fans across the country likely know rickma more than albert.

we'll have to agree to diagree on the "any publicity is better than no publicity" stance. and rickma's publicity the last two weeks has been more the "any" kind as opposed to "good" imo.

i would prefer we are getting notice for winning basketball games or getting recruits committed. even renewing his nightclub act on leno or lettermann would be preferred over the SI article or the Hillary campaign trail imo.

How about Joe Buck? Do you think more people know RM than Joe Buck?

I believe Knight's comment was something like "you might as well sit back and enjoy it".

How about Joe Buck? Do you think more people know RM than Joe Buck?

good one. which also brings to mind costas. i would agree with buck and add costas.

next year, who in the st louis area this very second is more known nationally by more demographics than rickma? personally, i think at this very second, no one.

while it may be amplified by us as hardcore fans, it also is heard by more people than anyone else that is "making noise" out of st louis.

Wow!

Albert Pujols

Tony LaRussa

Joe Buck

Bob Costas

Tory Holt

Isaac Bruce

Stephen Jackson

Stan Musial

Just a quick list.

I saw your post claiming RM was more known nationally than Albert. The only response I have to that is WOW.