Femi John in Carbondale Tournament

brianstl

He had 18 points and 11 rebounds in 17 minutes in the first game!

Nine of those 11 rebounds were offensive, which means he was taking advantage of sheer athleticism against an overmatched, likely shorter, team, likely playing a zone defense. Don't expect Femi John to be a big rebounder when he gets to SLU.

Nine of those 11 rebounds were offensive, which means he was taking advantage of sheer athleticism against an overmatched, likely shorter, team, likely playing a zone defense. Don't expect Femi John to be a big rebounder when he gets to SLU.

Agreed, that's never been a strength of his game. What we're getting is a big, quick guard who can create his own shot but is incredibly streaky and exercises highly questionable shot selection. Hopefully he'll adapt to a more detail-oriented system over time.

Great to see John doing well.

I'd like to see our new arena host a big high school tournament, so St. Louis teams won't go down to Carbondale.

Did we even recruit Booker? Does anybody really think the kid is top 30 in the nation? I know numbers don't tell the whole story, but his stats are not very impressive. I can't believe a kid's stock could rise that much after one or two good AAU summer tourneys.

Agreed, that's never been a strength of his game. What we're getting is a big, quick guard who can create his own shot but is incredibly streaky and exercises highly questionable shot selection. Hopefully he'll adapt to a more detail-oriented system over time.

I think you have to be careful not to come to conclusions about a young player like Femi too soon. This morning he was 7 for 11 from the field and 3 for 5 from three point range for 18 total points. When he starts playing for a coach like Majerus we can expect him to be a more disciplined player. As I recall he is young for his class.

Did we even recruit Booker? Does anybody really think the kid is top 30 in the nation? I know numbers don't tell the whole story, but his stats are not very impressive. I can't believe a kid's stock could rise that much after one or two good AAU summer tourneys.

I watched the game McCluer North played in Cape Girardeau, and Booker is very athletic. You're right, his stats haven't been very impressive. Those AAU tourneys that he blew up in this summer might have been the first times he was seen by the so-called "experts", so he gets rated very highly.

Time and time again we see players highly ranked as a result of potential, rather than productivity. Two great examples of this would be Kalen Grimes and John Brandenburg. I saw Grimes played 3 times in high school, and while he had his flashes of brilliances, he would also disappear for large portions of the game very easily. As a DeSmet alum, I tend to make it to a game or two a year, and when I saw Brandenburg as a sophomore and junior, I was very unimpressed. In spite of their relative lack of excellence in their high school games, both of these players are ranked highly by the experts, likely because of good showings at AAU tournaments.

As I posted when I reported on what I saw in watching the video of McCluer North's game against White Station; if Booker can fully realize his potential on the court at SIU, then you're looking at a player who will be a multiple time All-MVC player, possible a player of the year award or two, and possibly the best overall player relative to other players in the country to play in the MVC in a while.

And to answer the question about whether or not SLU recruited Booker; I'm not sure. He and Roundtree committed early, like before their junior basketball season started. I would think that Brad would have been recruiting Booker and Roundtree, but between Brad expecting to have Kramer there, and also trying to recruit Suggs, Brandenburg, Thompson, etc, who knows what level of a priority they were.

Guest BillikenReport

I can't believe a kid's stock could rise that much after one or two good AAU summer tourneys.

That's what happened.

Booker has a lot of skill (size, strength, perimeter shooting, leaping ability, rebounding ability) and a ton of potential but he doesn't play hard all the time. He tends to coast too often and just be a body out there on the floor.

At SIU, he'll have to play hard or he won't play. This hasn't been mentioned on here before, but I heard one of the reasons Booker played so well in the July evaluation period was because Chris Lowery talked to him about having to play harder.

Booker will be a nice player at SIU.

- Nate

ps: I doubt SLU really recruited Booker. SLU offered Femi John before Femi's junior season and from what I've been told did not offer Booker or Torres Roundtree. But this is my last post on this particular subject because I'm not going to revisit the garbage from months ago about Roundtree's recruitment.

I think you have to be careful not to come to conclusions about a young player like Femi too soon. This morning he was 7 for 11 from the field and 3 for 5 from three point range for 18 total points.

One or two games doesn't change the fact that he has again been an inconsistent shooter from three point range this season. I do like the fact that he's getting to the hoop more but he's still an inconsistent shooter from the free throw line. I think it all comes down to the fact that he palms the ball when he shoots. It's really hard to be a good perimeter shooter that way.

One or two games doesn't change the fact that he has again been an inconsistent shooter from three point range this season. I do like the fact that he's getting to the hoop more but he's still an inconsistent shooter from the free throw line. I think it all comes down to the fact that he palms the ball when he shoots. It's really hard to be a good perimeter shooter that way.

3star did you attend the tournament in Carbondale? It sounds like it was a pretty nice tournament.