Highlight from MU-Illini football game

davidlee

In the 2nd half they did a live interview with Mike Anderson on the sideline and right after he was done they showed a picture of Rick M stating he was the new BB coach at Saint Louis University.

I am sure that pi$$ed off some of the Illini and Mizzou faithful.

I don't believe that we would have gotten that in the past. It sure didn't hurt.

In the 2nd half they did a live interview with Mike Anderson on the sideline and right after he was done they showed a picture of Rick M stating he was the new BB coach at Saint Louis University.

I am sure that pi$$ed off some of the Illini and Mizzou faithful.

I heard they planned to interview Weber, but then they heard his recruiting pitch and decided they were no longer intrested.

It pays to have friends at "The World Wide Leader". I wouldn't put it past Rickma to have set that up himself. If he did make a call or two to make that happen, it was very wise on his part.

Guest BillikenReport

It pays to have friends at "The World Wide Leader". I wouldn't put it past Rickma to have set that up himself. If he did make a call or two to make that happen, it was very wise on his part.

My first thought was that there would be a lot of angry people who had paid for Missouri and Illinois-targeted advertising only to see SLU get a free plug on national TV.

- Nate

I watched the game and, as an Illinois fan, I didn't give it a second thought. Majerus was part of the espn family, so they are going to show him. No big deal.

Brian, I know you were having fun at Weber's expense, but you are going to be surprised how much talent Illinois has over the next few years. And Weber is an outstanding coach who doesn't need much talent to have good teams. And he has talent. If Jamar Smith did not have to sit out this year, I would expect another run at a Big Ten title for Weber. He is the winningest coach in major college basketball over the last four years and tied for first for most wins this decade. He wins because he can coach. Some like to point to the talent left by Self. It was a wonderful group, but I don't think that group wins as much playing Self's high/low offense.

Bruce Weber won two Big Ten titles with Bill Self's recruits (Dee, Deron, Augustine, and Head. Powell was actually a Kruger recruit).

Bill Self won two Big Ten titles with Lon Kruger's recruits (Brian Cook, McClain, Frank Williams, Bradford, Griffin, etc.)

Lon Kruger won a Big Ten title with Lou Henson's recruits (Jerry Hester, Matt Heldman, Jerry Gee, Kevin Turner, Brian Johnson).

My point is that Weber always gets grief for winning with Self's players. Well, the previous coaches did the same thing.

As for Weber's players, Demetri McCamey is a stud point guard. Mike Tisdale will play in the NBA someday. imo Shaun Pruitt is all-Big Ten level center. Jamar Smith is the best shooter at Illinois is 20 years. Rodney Alexander was the best small forward in jc last season. A guy like Suggs would have solidified the wing spot for the next few years, but it is not like he was all world or something. McCamey was a higher rated recruit than Suggs, for example.

Weber has missed on some guys, especially to Kansas, that Illinois really had no shot at. Self is slick, no doubt. Weber can coach circles around him, though. Make fun of him if you must, but the guy is 112-28 in Champaign.

I watched the game and, as an Illinois fan, I didn't give it a second thought. Majerus was part of the espn family, so they are going to show him. No big deal.

Brian, I know you were having fun at Weber's expense, but you are going to be surprised how much talent Illinois has over the next few years. And Weber is an outstanding coach who doesn't need much talent to have good teams. And he has talent. If Jamar Smith did not have to sit out this year, I would expect another run at a Big Ten title for Weber. He is the winningest coach in major college basketball over the last four years and tied for first for most wins this decade. He wins because he can coach. Some like to point to the talent left by Self. It was a wonderful group, but I don't think that group wins as much playing Self's high/low offense.

Bruce Weber won two Big Ten titles with Bill Self's recruits (Dee, Deron, Augustine, and Head. Powell was actually a Kruger recruit).

Bill Self won two Big Ten titles with Lon Kruger's recruits (Brian Cook, McClain, Frank Williams, Bradford, Griffin, etc.)

Lon Kruger won a Big Ten title with Lou Henson's recruits (Jerry Hester, Matt Heldman, Jerry Gee, Kevin Turner, Brian Johnson).

My point is that Weber always gets grief for winning with Self's players. Well, the previous coaches did the same thing.

As for Weber's players, Demetri McCamey is a stud point guard. Mike Tisdale will play in the NBA someday. imo Shaun Pruitt is all-Big Ten level center. Jamar Smith is the best shooter at Illinois is 20 years. Rodney Alexander was the best small forward in jc last season. A guy like Suggs would have solidified the wing spot for the next few years, but it is not like he was all world or something. McCamey was a higher rated recruit than Suggs, for example.

Weber has missed on some guys, especially to Kansas, that Illinois really had no shot at. Self is slick, no doubt. Weber can coach circles around him, though. Make fun of him if you must, but the guy is 112-28 in Champaign.

I think Weber is one of the best X's and O's coaches in the game.

i think combes overestimates jamar smith and the rest of the illini guards. no way the illini was big ten title worthy.

diddy, if you are having trouble with replying, just click Posted Image at the bottom. Drop me an e-mail if you still have problems. We definitely want to hear the streets talk on the new forum.

Hey Combes would you like to trade coaches, I bet you would. Hey Combes would you like to trade programs, I bet you would. At the Kansas web site anytime Self misses on a kid we tease him by calling him Bill Webber. Webber may not last long enough to see his in coming freshmen make it to there senior year.

As far as McCamey being more thought of than Suggs, could you site your sources, I can. According to rivals.com (The best resource) both are 4 stars rated at 5.8. Man, I'm getting tired of exposing you as a fraud. Quick question for you, what does Kansas call a 2 star shooting guard? We call them a walk on!!! Have fun trying to make the tourni, fraud.

Hey Combes would you like to trade coaches, I bet you would. Hey Combes would you like to trade programs, I bet you would. At the Kansas web site anytime Self misses on a kid we tease him by calling him Bill Webber. Webber may not last long enough to see his in coming freshmen make it to there senior year.

As far as McCamey being more thought of than Suggs, could you site your sources, I can. According to rivals.com (The best resource) both are 4 stars rated at 5.8. Man, I'm getting tired of exposing you as a fraud. Quick question for you, what does Kansas call a 2 star shooting guard? We call them a walk on!!! Have fun trying to make the tourni, fraud.

Wow, nice grammar, Rock Chalk. I guess that's a good indication of why the last-ranking guys in my high school's graduating classes always wound up going to KU.

Everyone knows Self's a great recruiter, but I'd be downright embarrassed to make back-to-back early exits from the NCAA Tournament to Bucknell and Bradley with a bunch of 4 and 5-star recruits. You must feel pretty proud for your All-American poster boys to get beaten by players that didn't even show up on Rivals when they were high school players.

Say what you will about Weber not being able to recruit, but he took Self's recruits to the Sweet 16 his first year and the finals his second year. Sure, they made the Elite 8 this past year, which is impressive, but you could also make the argument that a 13-point loss to the lower-seeded UCLA could be called a disappointment. And his Elite 8 run in 2004- that was with Roy Williams' recruits, which circles right back to the complaint everyone has on Weber.

Come back down to Earth, Jayhawk. You do have one of the best basketball programs in the NCAA, but you need to admit that Bill Self will never be the coach Roy Williams was at KU.

From Hawks comments I get the impression KU fans have moved onto the Illini since taking shots at Mizzou is just to easy at this point. The Mizzou basketball team has provided some very nice amo this offseason; as if any more was needed.

Pistol grammer on a message board? Shame on you. Now as far as early exists in the tourni go, you get over it. When you have the word Kansas on the front of your Jersey you are a target. You always get the other teams best shot. Now as far as the 2 star player on Bucknell and Bradley go my only response is where are they now? I know Kansas went to the elite 8 last year. Thats the fun part of the tourni, there's always a next year. KU will be ranked again in the top five, and in some polls number one.

Go Jayhawks and go Bills!!!

Pistol grammer on a message board? Shame on you. Now as far as early exists in the tourni go, you get over it. When you have the word Kansas on the front of your Jersey you are a target. You always get the other teams best shot. Now as far as the 2 star player on Bucknell and Bradley go my only response is where are they now? I know Kansas went to the elite 8 last year. Thats the fun part of the tourni, there's always a next year. KU will be ranked again in the top five, and in some polls number one.

Go Jayhawks and go Bills!!!

I can't argue with that. They are absolutely loaded this year.

I don't think it has anything to do with Kansas being a target when it comes NCAA Tournament time. Teams are going to get up for whomever they play; ride or die. If you can't get up for a tournament game you shouldn't even walk on the court.

You asking where the 2-star players for Bucknell and Bradley are now makes you losing to those teams even more sorry. Bucknell is a team with student-athletes who will likely never even sniff professional basketball and they beat your roster stocked of future NBA players.

As far as this season goes, KU will begin as one of the favorites once again. I would think the top 4 teams heading into the season will be UNC, Memphis, KU, and UCLA. But preseason rankings mean nothing when you are an elite program like KU, its all about what you do come March and Bill Self has not gotten it done come tourney time.

I don't think it has anything to do with Kansas being a target when it comes NCAA Tournament time. Teams are going to get up for whomever they play; ride or die. If you can't get up for a tournament game you shouldn't even walk on the court.

You asking where the 2-star players for Bucknell and Bradley are now makes you losing to those teams even more sorry. Bucknell is a team with student-athletes who will likely never even sniff professional basketball and they beat your roster stocked of future NBA players.

As far as this season goes, KU will begin as one of the favorites once again. I would think the top 4 teams heading into the season will be UNC, Memphis, KU, and UCLA. But preseason rankings mean nothing when you are an elite program like KU, its all about what you do come March and Bill Self has not gotten it done come tourney time.

Where did this venom come from Chosen One? The name on the Jersey does matter believe me. Your right, Bill Self is paid to win national championships, period. He has not done it in the four years, but we believe he will. With the Bucknell game he had a senior team that quit on him, and thats a shame. The game against Bradley was a different story. He had nothing but freshmen who played well above expectations. They rallied to win the Big 12, but ran into a team that was battle hardened and had a center that did more than sniff the NBA. It was a lesson they had to learn the hard way. Last year they played a team that had a home field advantage. I think if they got past UCLA that we could have beaten Florida (again). Oh well.

Go Jayhawks!!! Go Bills!!!

Never let Ill and Mizzou tell you that you don't belong because you do.

No real venom. I have a strong dislike for Duke and KU due to them f wording me when I have bet on them in the past.

I honestly just did not agree with some of things you wrote. Saying that teams get up for KU in the NCAA Tournament is a little ridiculous. Teams get up for whomever they play in the NCAA Tournament. You lose in March and your season and for some your career is over. And then your question did not make sense coming from a KU fan.

KU beating Florida if KU had beaten UCLA is fiction. Florida was not going to be beat.

No real venom. I have a strong dislike for Duke and KU due to them f wording me when I have bet on them in the past.

I honestly just did not agree with some of things you wrote. Saying that teams get up for KU in the NCAA Tournament is a little ridiculous. Teams get up for whomever they play in the NCAA Tournament. You lose in March and your season and for some your career is over. And then your question did not make sense coming from a KU fan.

KU beating Florida if KU had beaten UCLA is fiction. Florida was not going to be beat.

This is the last I'll write about this. Chosen One you disagree with me because you think you know but you don't and you never will. I'm sorry you just don't know what its like to be Kansas. Its not your fault there are only 5 of us who really know. UCLA, Duke, NC, KY and us.

THE END

GO Jayhawks!!! GO Bills!!!

I realize teams are going to get up to play a KU or Duke, but that is in the regular season. In the NCAA Tournament teams are going to get up for whoever they are playing against. Its one and done, you shouldn't need any more than that. Bucknell would have come out just as jacked against a team like Villanova or Michigan State.

I like how you use the term "us" since I am sure you know what its like. Congratulations for being a fan of an elite program.