recruiting update on BillikenReport

Guest BillikenReport

>All right, I guess I didn't understand what he was saying

>then. Thanks for clearing that up.

>I wouldn't be surprised if Eckerle saw some action next

>year.

correct that partials for hoops are not allowed. My assumption is that he described his arrangement as being that of a perferred walk-on - no athletic aid but guaranteed spot on the team.

Is it possible to offer the scholarship for 1 year only? We still have the 2 for this year that will probably be unfilled. If we gave him a year of 1 of those it probably wouldn't hurt us.

Not directed at you cheese.

How did anyone not get it. It was pretty clear he is coming on an academic scholarship. Imo this is a no brainer. The kid can shoot, he may be just one of those kids that is a winner. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get some decent playing time throughout his career.

What are the questions about his ability to play at this level? Athleticism? anyone have an idea?

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

Actually he's pretty athletic. Biggest question is probably his size. He's 6'0 and not a pg. He's Luke's cousin and he's played for a school that has produced a lot of D1 guys recently, Sky Frazier 03, his cousin Luke Meyer 04, and Alex Moosman 06, and they've won multiple titles including the recent 2006 state title in class 4.

He's listed at 6'1" but even at 6' even if he's athletic and he can shoot, it seems to me this is a good move. I'm assuming you agree.

He obviously was not worthy of a full ride at SLU since neither Brad nor RM have/had offered him. This does not mean that he won't get some playing time as a walk on nor that he is not a decent player. All it means is that he was not considered good enough to risk a schollie on him. This situation is not exactly like the John Redden one where Spoon did not have a schollie to give him at first but talked him in to attending anyway and John never did garner a schollie even though he played well for us. PE might very well turn out to be a "John Redden" who knows. My only point is why give the athletic schollie to him for one year and have the money taken out of your budget when you never planned to give him a schollie in the first place. Use the money for something else for the program - some think that a schollie does not cost the program anything but it does.

It is an academic schollarship. Does that come out of the ahletic budget? Do you know are or you just guessing. Really imo even if it does, I think this is a good move. I think RM did want him, I would think he helped arrange the scholarship. You are right he may never play, but yet he might jut be one of those kids that forces his way into playing time. It happens in every sport.

> He's listed at 6'1" but even at 6' even if he's athletic

>and he can shoot, it seems to me this is a good move. I'm

>assuming you agree.

>

>

> Official Billikens.com sponsor of H

>Waldman

>

>Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would

>have helped club.

Yeah, I do. I'm a fan. He was a great supporting player for Moosman on the championship team, and then a senior, when he finally got the team to himself he was one of the top scorers in the area, and he helped tutor the freshman guard Nathan Scheer who looks to be a real nice prospect in the future. He gets to play with Luke again like he did in high school, its great. That should help his adjustment period, kind of like reuniting Liddell and Mitchell who went to ESL together.

This is great; I'm sure that having a player of Eckerle's caliber will help the team in practice and hopefully in the games at some point.

Since he's first in his class, I'll assume that he's received an academic scholarship. When I was in school, there was a program called Pre-Med Scholars in which elite students are automatically accepted to SLU med school provided they maintain a certain GPA for their first two years of college. Hopefully Eckerle is in this program if it still exists.

I am delighted by this development. I have never seen him play but from what had been reported I thought he would be a very good addition to our team. Smart, hard working ballplayers who can shoot and are athletic are great "team" players and he might even work himself into the rotation this year.

Question for the gurus who have seen him play--How does he compare to Kramer S., his former teammate Moosman and the small guard from Webster? He sounds like he is similar in size to most of them. Thanks

Slufanskip said-- "How did anyone not get it. It was pretty clear he is coming on an academic scholarship."

I guess I "did not get it" because futurebilliken in reply 2 said he talked to Paul himself and he said that it was half athletic and half academic. Maybe you should contact Paul and let him know how things are actually going to work for him- I'm sure he'd be grateful to hear from an informed expert.

The oldie in reply 19 says that Paul was offered an athletic scholarship for his senior year, which fits with what Paul stated. But I guess oldie "doesn't get it" either.

All those other guys are point guards. He doesnt handle the ball as well as any of those guys, but he is more athletic than all of them and can shoot reasonably well. He's probably the only one in that group who is at least 6'0. He plays good D. Of the group Hanlen is the best ballhandler by far and probably the fastest. They all can shoot.