JB Jones

Box and Won

jb isnt tommie liddell, but he is the most underated player in the area. the word is that he will go to sms and i believe he will thrive there. i would rather have tommie, but jb wouldnt be a bad consolation prize. if it is true tommie is out, i say take jb jones if he will still come.

After struggling through our Charlotte and UAB games and watching a lot of good college basketball over the weekend, I have concluded with a certainty that what separates SLU from the "haves" of the college basketball world is strong and athletic forwards. Mizzou may be struggling, but they are stacked at the power forward position with Kleiza, Bryants, and Johnson. Good teams have power forwards who dunk over people when they are fed the ball within five or six feet of the basket. By contrast, SLU has power forwards whose standard move in the paint is to tuck the ball around their waste and hope to draw the foul. IMO, our last scholarship must go to a good power forward. We cannot continue to be out-muscled in the post.

Let's say that Tommie does not pass the ACT, but still enrolls in SLU as a partial qualifier. Would that open an additional scholarship (would he have to pay his own way for a year?), or would he still be able to retain his scholarship?

If Tommie's scholarship becomes available, would it be worth signing someone else?

If Tommie is a partial qualifier, then his scholarship will NOT be available.

I doubt we will use Tommie's scholarship in any circumstance because he can retake the test in June, and by the time his results are available it will be too late to sign another player.

Tommie has three more shots at the ACT: February 7, April 3, and June 12.

David, I think everyone on this board has been screaming for a solid athletic PF for the last three years. Why we can't seem to land one is beyond me. Would you agree the last legit PF we had was Anthony Bonner...it's been fifteen years. Watching Mizzery last night I was imagining what a Travon Bryant could do for SLU. This kid could have been a standout here. Two times I have been to Charlotte, both games Charlotte featured a standout athletic PF and they killed us both times. We simply have no one to stop them. I guess that is why everyone is anxious to see JJ play. He at least LOOKS like a PF who is athletic.

Anthony Bonner is the best power forward we have ever had, but Jamal Johnson is probably the last real good power forward we have had (although he only played one season for SLU). Justin Tatum fit the mold, but he couldn't keep his books in order.

I will never understand why schools like UAB, Southern Miss, and Charlotte can stockpile their rosters with these type of players, while we get stuck with the Paul Nondases and Sekue Berrantines of the world. My only theory is that a lot of these guys come through the juco ranks, and we have trouble getting jucos qualified.

This is the same question that I ask myself every year. I got the ESPN Full Court package this year and have been watching a lot of college hoops. I am constantly seeing schools smaller than us with less success playing very athletic pf's....how does this happen? I know there is much more to basketball than slam dunking a ball, but there is nobody on this team who can execute a highlight reel dunk. The closest thing I have heard of a putback dunk is the putback Tom had last week that didn't even count. Is it really that hard to find an athletic pf that wants to come to SLU? Izik may turn out to be a great player, who knows, but he will never be the kind of guy that takes it to the hole with AUTHORITY. Maybe this player is JJ, but I have a feeling we wont know for another year.

What about Baniak wouldn't he have fit the bill or do you consider him a 3? Also, JT seemed to have trouble operating away from the hoop, i.e. he could score on tip-ins and followups, but he wasn't the slasher type that could take it from outside in. Charlotte had a guy two years ago can't remember his name who could do this with quickness, finesse, and power. That's what I'd like to see wearing Billiken Blue.

Baniak had the skills and god-given talent to fit that mold, but he never seemed to put it all together. He was definitely a 4, not a 3.

I reference Justin Tatum because he is the exact type of player I have in mind. I am strictly referring to a power forward whose primary role is to rebound and finish strong around the basket. Anthony Bonner and Jamal Johnson fit this role perfectly.

We could start another thread about our lack of athletic small forwards who can play in or out of the paint, but I am more concerned about the power forward position.

I think the player from Charlotte you mentioned was last name White?, he left after his freshman year for the NBA and played a little--not sure if he is still in the NBA or not.

Sloan has been a decent 4 for us. While we would all like more--taller, more offensive, more of an inside game, Sloan has done very well here. I do not know why we can't attract a better player at this position. Does SLU have a reputation of being a guard team? It seems like the guards are the focal point of our team every year and could this be part of the reason inside players stay away--I don't know, just a thought.

Our problems are a reflection of overall bad recruiting over the last five plus years. Our teams have been guard focused because decent guards are a dime a dozen. It is a lot more difficult to find good players who are 6'8" or taller, and Romar didn't exactly stockpile the cubbard with these players.

Sloan has done a lot with his god-given talent, and no Billiken gives more effort than he does. The reality, however, is that we will need much more talented power forwards if we expect to have a top 25 team. The coaching staff recognizes this reality; Brad has pointed out on several ocassions that this team is capable of executing at a high level but losing to more talented opponents.

Is Polk ready to play 25 to 30 minutes/game at PG? If not, then Houston, we have a problem. What's a more attractive combo, JJ at PF and Drejag, Polk and a juco PG or Polk and Drejag at PG and JJ and a juco PF? That is the spot the coach is in.

>Is Polk ready to play 25 to 30 minutes/game at PG? If not,

>then Houston, we have a problem. What's a more attractive

>combo, JJ at PF and Drejag, Polk and a juco PG or Polk and

>Drejag at PG and JJ and a juco PF? That is the spot the

>coach is in.

IMO opinion the latter option is much more desirable. Dwayne Polk has the intelligence and ability to play 25+ minutes right away. In addition to Drejaj, we also have Darren Clarke (who played point guard in high school) and possibly Tommie Liddell available at point. Even Reggie can play point if need be.

Having JJ as the sole option at power forward next season should frighten everyone. Having JJ and a yet unnamed juco power forward next season still frightens me.

i tend to agree with david. at least one of these scholarships needs to be a stud power forward or else we are treading water at best. after frericks imo we are so iffy on the inside as is.

even if he was only a one and done deal for us was a legit pf. baniak had moments. he definitely had the talent. same could be said for tatum.