Riders on the A-10 Storm

With apologizes to Morrison, do we ride this out and wait for the Big East to fold, as Majerus thinks it will? He mentioned something about that yesterday at the press conference.

I would rather have us wait and see what the likes of Villanova, Seton Hall, St. John's, Georgetown and ND do, considering they are not Big East Football schools. I'd much rather get them in a league than play in Cedar Falls, Iowa.

i think it is imperative that we band with xavier, dayton and to some degree st joes and protect each other's back and form that forever together pack.

when and if a shakedown ever comes, the fact we would hopefully be bonded together would give us a leg up no any new conference talk.

anyone that doesnt see the fantastic rivalry opps with those three fine schools is blind. i see more in common there with each of our three a-10 brethern than all the mvc combined.

The brother's in arms deal with MU and DePaul lasted about 3 seconds after Dave Gavin sent them their invites. But the best plan is to work behind the scenes with some of these schools and try and have a plan in place if the BEasy football schools start getting nasty to their non FB brethren. I think this is what RM was implying was a possibility based on his experience of trying to get Utah into the PAC 10...football was the deciding factor. The problem is FB is not the major sport at BE schools, that would be hoops. Name one BE school other than WVU where FB reigns supreme. Granted they're getting better; Rutgers, UConn, UL, and UC, but traditionally they're bb schools. Does anyone know how revenue sharing in the BE works? I mean do the non FB schools receive any FB $$$....?

slu72 said,

"The problem is FB is not the major sport at BE schools, that would be hoops."

but what if it was or at least had the potential to? and what if notre dame decides it finally is going to pick a landing spot for football? but insists that their conference needs to be about football? and what if that bcs conference revenue thing is jsut that strong?

the big east would jetison those basketball only schools in a second.

Syracuse football is a big deal. Don't forget Louisville will be a BCS contender with Michael Bush back. And Greg Schiano is making people forget about the Scarlet Knight's basketball woes with an outstanding recruiting class. One of the top OL in the country declared to RUT at the AAA game in San Antonio this past Feb.

Slu 72 wrote

The

>problem is FB is not the major sport at BE schools, that

>would be hoops. Name one BE school other than WVU where FB

>reigns supreme. Granted they're getting better; Rutgers,

>UConn, UL, and UC, but traditionally they're bb schools.

I'm agreeing with you, that football isn't the #1 thing at those schools, but when we joined the Great Midwest and then expanded and morphed into CUSA, who would have thought that football would be teh driving force of that conference? Prior to those changes to the conference, basketball reigned supreme there as well.

I really like the theory of working togehther with the other schools that we probably have a "natural rivalry" with (Dayton and X) for when the next big shakeup occurs.

I agree jumping to the MVC would leave us out in the cold when the next realignment takes place. We need to stay put, continue to evaluate our options, and talk with schools with like situations to see what can become of that if anything. The longer we stay in the A10 and elevate our status with good play the better we look to other conferences. I just hope what Rammer said today does not sink the A10 from upgrading and forcing our hand.

Truly wonder how much of this MVC talk is nothing more than leverage and fear directed to the A 10. While SLU and Charlotte made the conference better by adding 2 quality schools and programs in 2 new, large markets, the increase in the number of teams to 14 made scheduling and travel more difficult for all.

With a 3rd place finish the first year, then a 20 win season with big wins in the conference tourney, SLU has made an impact in the conference. Now, with the new arena and hiring RM, SLU's hand has been strengthened. L. Bruno's attendance at the PC was no accident.

It's nice to know that SLU has options: stay in A-10 but make demands for our staying, join the MVC, initiate talks about a new conference.

>It's nice to know that SLU has options: stay in A-10 but

>make demands for our staying, join the MVC, initiate talks

>about a new conference.

The A-10 is not bowing to any "demands" by SLU. The league will only make change when a majority of members pushes for it. It will not solely do so for a program that only joined two years ago. You are really fooling yourself if you think that SLU can on its own dictate demands for staying in the league. Many of the eastern schools and their fans have never been totally comfortable with the addition of SLU due to its location. These groups would have no issue letting SLU leave.

>slu72 said,

>

>"The problem is FB is not the major sport at BE schools,

>that would be hoops."

>

>but what if it was or at least had the potential to? and

>what if notre dame decides it finally is going to pick a

>landing spot for football? but insists that their

>conference needs to be about football? and what if that bcs

>conference revenue thing is jsut that strong?

>

>the big east would jetison those basketball only schools in

>a second.

Notre Dame made $26 million dollars this year in football television deals alone....money they do not have to share with anyone. They also share in the $30 million Big East tv deal as a basketball only school, in which 100% of all Big East games will be televised via ESPN networks or CBS.

Their current contract with NBC which pays them $9 million a year(included in that $26 million above) runs through 2010.

so then maybe 2011 is d-day? who knows. and i only used notre dame as an example of "what if?"

my point is that i believe that football drives the bcs and the bcs controls the ncaa and what happens down the line. whatever comes up to change that could create ripples that turn into tidal waves.

maybe nothing happens. however we got caught with our pants down last time and didnt take full advantage of things. not sure depaul and marquette did all that much more other than happen to be more attractive at the time, be it current performance (marquette) or location (depaul in chicago).

hopefully slu learned their lesson and will take steps to be ready to be in a more favorable position and have the ability to react or call their own shots.

>so then maybe 2011 is d-day? who knows. and i only used

>notre dame as an example of "what if?"

>

>my point is that i believe that football drives the bcs and

>the bcs controls the ncaa and what happens down the line.

>whatever comes up to change that could create ripples that

>turn into tidal waves.

>

>maybe nothing happens. however we got caught with our pants

>down last time and didnt take full advantage of things. not

>sure depaul and marquette did all that much more other than

>happen to be more attractive at the time, be it current

>performance (marquette) or location (depaul in chicago).

>

>hopefully slu learned their lesson and will take steps to be

>ready to be in a more favorable position and have the

>ability to react or call their own shots.

Not only were Marquette and DePaul performing more favorably at the time, they had built long term relationships for many years with the Big East conference. There is a lot more to it than how one is doing at the time.

As long as NBC wants to hand Notre Dame huge money for football they will continue their large satisfaction with being in the Big East conference, which they enjoy...and being an independent in football.

an fyi....The Big East btw is going to 18 game league schedule in hoops next year and is beginning a Big East v SEC challenge series in hoops as well.