Chances Majerus Signs?

Westy03

I just kinda want to get a feel on how everyone is feeling about what is going with RM. I think there is a 10% chance he ends up as the Bills coach. My reasons for this is that he has toyed with other colleges the same way he is doing now. Also, its not his health that may keep from coaching, its his moms health. These two factors lead me to believe he wont be manning the sidelines at SLU.

What do you guys think?

By all signs, SLU must be ready to throw the zeros around right now, or else they'd have stemmed the tide of BS with a press conference surrounding Brad's release already. Hopefully Biondi/Chaefitz really open their checkbooks on this one - we might even salvage some recruits this Spring.

I'm gonna say 23%.

while all signs say he is itching to coach again, the total package of what gets him to accept, (big salary, excellent up and coming assistants, infrastructure improvements) lead me to believe it will never happen.

majerus salary is the tip of the iceberg. we have to be bigtime in all respects is my guess. majerus is a smart man and he knows what will let him succeed and he will do nothing to tarnish his current image as a coach. i would bet if he cant be sure he can succeed, he will stay at espn rather than make himself sick.

at utah, it was always my understanding he lacked for nothing.

OK, let's say Godfather Chaifetz bucks up to sign Big Rick. Roy is definitely right that this is just the beginning of the necessary cash outlay for assistants, traveling budget, cel phones, etc. How much extra is that per year? $1 million? I know a mill don't get ya what it used to ... but it's still a respectible hunk of coin. Let's break that down. Would 4000 boosters commit to bucking up an extra $250 per year to plump out Big Rick's budget? Put me down as one of the 4000. I'm serious. I honestly think there are 4000 SLU alumni out there who would buck up in a modest range to make it happen. Fr. Biondi built his Chaifetz Dome without having all the money in hand. He should ink Big Rick on the same "build it and they will come" philosophy.

BTW, I want to propose our new building be nicknamed "The Fetz". I can see it now: "tonight on ESPN, live from The Fetz on the campus of Saint Louis University, Majerus v. Pitino."

JJ the most exciting part of the Big Rick possible signing is the budget. If he sign it means that Biondi/Chaifetz is willing to put the money to run a first class operation. Rick won't sign unless he has those guarantees. I can't believe Biondi went into any of this without being prepared to put up the money. Now if we end up with some assistant the Roy's of the world may be right,nothing will change but the names.

yesterday I would've said ZERO.

today, at 4:22 pm, I'm gonna go with 12.5% -- 8 to 1 odds.

that change is only if some of the rumors flying around this site have even a partial relationship to reality.

ps -- moderators: I would be interested to know how many hits the billikens.com site has gotten in the past 48 hours or so. must be an all-time record.

o yeah, one more thought--

if most or all of the rumor stuff is fantasyland, then we are back to ZERO.

btw -- I take it all of this commotion is based on something Cusumano said on radio, correct? talk about a tempest in a teapot. Has anyone actually picked up a phone and called him to ask about this? These local guys doa ctually pick up their phones, in case anyone was wondering . . . .

How reliable do folks on here consider Frank C. to be, is my point??

pss - this is serious commotion--it sort of reminds me of my 100 lb. black German shepherd (aka Gus Grissom) at feeding time. Pavlov lives!

feels it necessary to point out that 12.5% is really 7 to 1 odds. If something happens 8 times 7 times it will go against you and 1 time it will go in your favor, hence the 7 to 1.

FWIW, I think the probability on Majerus is more in the 25% range given the latest rumor that we actually offered. If we did actually offer that mean RM must be serious about it, otherwise no offer would have been made after the initial discussion.

This is like setting odds on a poker hand where no one has any idea what cards they hold because they are all face down. Unless we get more solid information it is all a complete guess. My guess is that if RM is sincerely interested in the job that Father Biondi will go the extra mile to get him signed up. Every job has its issues but RM, if he really wants to get back into the coaching game, knows that this will be an excellent opportunity. He will be a hero and a celebrity in town. He has some very nice players coming back and some excellent potential area recruits. He has a beautiful new basketball complex with state of the art facilities and a nice cozy arena that could become a pit for opposing teams. He will play in a good but not coach destroying conference--ie--Big East, SEC, Big 12, Big Ten, etc. and he will be in a town that is much like his home town of Milwaukee.

If RM is serious I would think this will get done.