MAJERUS UPDATE

Frank C. JUST said on his radio show that Majerus made it public that he is very interested in SLU's job, and he is in Chicago meeting with Chaiftz(sp?) to discuss the job; in addition, he just received numerous game tapes of our last season. Frank said be patient, but its looking good though.... AND, biondi said that Majerus is his #1 and best option, and will practically do what it takes to get this done.

This is absurd, why the hell is he meeting with Chaefitz and not CL or even Biondi? Is Chaefitz giving him his "half now" payment? Is Majerus even going to have to pay taxes?

WHY IS NOTHING GOING THROUGH THE NORMAL CHANNELS!?!?!?

majerus went to chitown to meet with scott skiles, and chaefitz happens to reside in chicago and owns a box for the bulls... and he is a large contributor, so it makes sense to me. he will meet with the AD, but it is obvious that biondi is taking total charge in this matter.

Should this guy have TREMENDOUS say in a lot of the operations of the AD - Yes.

I am very grateful for his monetary contributions and his apparent devotion to the success of the program.

It just bothers me that there's not at least the facade of a roundtable discussion going on...

BIONDI: We'll give you whatever you want.

MAJERUS: I want 5 years, 9 million.

BIONDI: Ricky! Baby! Can we swing it???

CHAEFITZ: Fuhgettaboutit, no sweat!

LEVICK: Ehem, excuse me, Mr. Majerus, we have some paperwork for you, and there'll need to be a press conf-

CHAEFITZ: FUHGETTABOUTIT!!!

I'll agree that it's a bit scary that it appears things are being done on a whim by Biondi and Chaeritz (I'm still fuming over no press conference). However, if Biondi is now going to make athletics as high a priority as he takes other campus matters, I'll trust the guy. He's brought SLU to never before seen heights in many other areas. I think we're in good hands...if he's serious.

...Chaiefetz has just bought himself a sports franchise in one of the semi-major sports?

The guy may be even brighter than I thought. He may be getting the notoriety and fame associated with owning a major sports franchise without paying the hundreds of millions currently required. It is all about ego!

>>>why the hell is he meeting with Chaefitz<<

>

>Because this is the guy who is going to write the check to

>sign Majerus if he wants the job. Without a Chaefitz, there

>can be no Majerus at SLU. Sorry but them's the facts.

This is similar to what happened at Marquette when Crean came in. How has that worked out? At Michigan they just hired Beliein away from West Virginia despite his $2.5 million buyout, guess who is paying for that? SEC football programs for years have been dominated by big money boosters (i.e Bobby Louter at Auburn) and even Iona listened to big boosters when they fired Ruland and brought in Willard. SLU wants to be big time, this is they way its done.

this whole story is starting to sound like a Vonnegut science fiction story -- or Alice in Wonderland.

Can this really be happening?

Out of innocent curiosity, I would like to know people's opinions about a few things:

1] was Majerus really REALLY going to take the Creighton job ??

2] would SLU really REALLY come up with the money ??

3] is Cheyfetz really REALLY involved??

regarding Cheyfetz -- I admit I have been one voice on here saying he had no involvement and again it was not just an empty opinion -- I got that from serious insiders. Believe what you want on that one. Anyway, if he is this intimately involved, then why was I told otherwise by the insider types? Hmmmm??

Could it be that we are finally actually trying to be a Top 50 basketball program? Maybe Biondi just needed a little push in the form of money and an active booster. Granted we don't have anything finalized yet but I am more excited now than I have been since the Spoonhour days. Even if Majerus does not work out, it seems as though Biondi and Chaifetz will not settle for a mediocre coach.

BLaw we have disagreed vehemently on here in the past, nut you are right about this. This is how the game is played on BIG TIME level. This info makes ne feel much better about the selection process overall. I can't say I care much for what got us to this point, but I am starting to feel a lot better about were we are headed.

This is exactly what I was trying to say in the earlier thread. When Chaifetz appeared on the team, our existing "boosters" became nickel-and-dime, relatively speaking. I can't, for example, see Kim Tucci coming to the table with enough bucks to bankroll a coach.

And I certainly give Mr. Chaifetz the benefit of the doubt in SLU's handling of the situation. As DoctorB noted, he's so far been "distant," so he really has had no experience as to how utterly incompetent the administration/athletic department can be with PR and marketing. As I said in the earlier thread, he's either very good at it himself (for ComPsych) or he's got a great staff -- so I'm hoping some of that demand for excellence will filter down to SLU's sports marketing. (Hey, maybe whoever's been keeping Phillips in his job will now be reduced-enough in rank that we'll remedy that flaw as well.)

David, I can't imagine you're actually objecting to any of this, even if Chaifetz is unilaterally calling the shots for Larry. I can't think of any other scenario that would have resulted in fulfilling your desire for a top-notch coach.