Bernie weighs in on Search

Bernie just posted a couple of times on his board concerning who's up next for SLU. Here's his list:

http://www.stltoday.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=448960

Chris Lowery (in the past job has intrigued him; son's medical care could be a factor, tough for him to leave SIU after SIU stepped up).

Kevin Stallings (Collinsville native, taken Vandy about as far as he can, big buyout, though)

Cuonzo Martin (Purdue assistant; would likely recruit great here).

Steve Lavin (winner at UCLA, charisma, can sell, can recruit)

Rick Majerus (last stop? knows Jesuit basketball, loves The Lou, health concerns, job may not be prominent enough).

Kim Anderson (excellent job at DII; knows how to win, class act, can identify talent and role players).

Pete Gillen (did it at Xavier; does he still have the fastball?)

Fran Fraschilla (did it at Manhattan; see above).

Brad Brownwell (Wright State coach up and comer)

Darrin Horn (W. Kentucky coach highly regarded as one of the rising stars)

Dan Monson (got Gonzaga going; flopped at Minnesota).

John Groce (Ohio State assistant, knows midwest recruiting turf).

Anthony Grant (VCU coach; destined for bigger places in his next stop)

Mike Montgomery (Levick connection but no chance)

Scott Sutton (Oral Roberts coach can climb to a better job than this).

--B

An one more thing from Bernie:

No. They don't have anyone lined up.

--B

Now, this is all assuming that he knows what he's talking about, and that might be a poor assumption.

Have just gone through all of this with Illinois State.

Some of the names on this list are just taking up space, there is NO chance of them coming to SLU (and in some cases no chance they want to coach anywhere - Majerus, Lavin in particular are professional announcers now, why can't some people get that through their heads???). I have to think Montgomery is not in the picture.

On another thread, someone commented that there is an unrealistic opinion of where SLU stands in the pecking order (which was also the case with some of my brothers on the ISU board). Think hard about that.

Monson just got a new job, at Long Beach St. I believe? He's a west coast guy, he's off the list.

Stallings is not leaving the SEC and Vandy for the A-10 and SLU.

Chris Lowery is not leaving the MVC and SIU for the A-10 and SLU.

Anthony Grant is not leaving VCU for SLU.

IMHO, in the rest of those names there are some possiblities. On another thread, someone mentioned Gene Cross asst. from Notre Dame, I tossed that one out for ISU. He's got potential.

Good luck. I am an ISU fan, living in Madison Wisconsin, Badger season ticket holder. Started visiting this board to follow Brad, always thought he was a class act and hated to see him leave UW (not to say I'm unhappy with Bo Ryan). I'm sorry to see him go, he's a class act and gave you a good solid program. But the record is what it is, and the recruiting is what it is, and that's the way it is in top level college hoops these days.

More Bernie (sorry to just cut and paste here, but his comments are interesting (if not always 100% accurate)). Interesting that he mentions possibility of Liddell leaving. I honestly don't see that happeneing.

"It's all Biondi.

Levick has to hire the next coach.

Best of luck on that one.

Just put in a call to Cuonzo Martin and make it easy on everybody.

He'd energize the program and recruit like a maniac in Missouri and Illinois and maybe even Indiana because of his Purdue connection.

I'm not saying he's the only candidate or that they're wrong if they hire someone else; I'm just saying I think most people would agree he makes a lot of sense.

And let me add this: if they hire Martin, Liddell stays.

--B"

What concerns me is Lisch and Liddell. I have a better feeling about Lisch staying, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Tommie leave. I just don't see how you can make this move at this time with these two guys on the roster. You are really throwing away their junior seasons, which isn't fair to them.

Bernie is usually clueless when it comes to Billiken basketball.

If it was the big boosters that pulled this string I hope they're going to pony up big bucks for a good coach. Pete Gillen would be my choice. His first year at Xavier he took a bad team from the year before and started out 20-2. We could use some majic like that here.

>MadBird, what do you think of Rob Jeter from UW-Milwaukee?

Robbie did a nice job at UW with Bo, got a lot of props for the recruiting especially. He knows Bo's system well, and it is a solid system. Had a good year first year at UW-Milwaukee with Pearl's guys, and a not so good year last year after he lost like 7 seniors. Has a couple top notch recruits from Chicago coming in this year (and maybe a Milwaukee kid transferring in from Tulsa).

I have some doubts whether he'd leave UW-Milwaukee for SLU - he's a Chicago kid, played at UW-Platteville, 5 years at UW as assistant, and then also his dad played for the Packers, so he has some ties up this way. But I think he'd be a solid get if you could. There was some talk about him possibly going to Iowa St. last year, since their new AD came from Wisconsin, but since he'd only been at UW-M for one year, didn't seem like he pursued it very much, or didn't get in the mix much.