One thing disturbs me

"The University does not anticipate making any additional comments concerning its decision to make a coaching change. Information concerning the head coaching search will be communicated in the weeks ahead."

The bold type sentence is problematic. Weeks? Who the hell will be on our team next year? Will the new guys want to play here? Will Kevin, Tommie, and Luke stick it out? Especially, if our new recruits don't show we are going to be looking at a recruiting class like Brad's first. Will even a Drejaj be available in the middle of May? Will Skip be our back up point guard next year?

I thought Romar humped us hard when he left. Did we just do it to ourselves?

It certainly does look like a crossroads for all parties involved. I don't know how loyal KL, TL, etc. were to Soderberg beyond the loyalty one has to their coach by default, but they are in a prime position to transfer. We need a lot of good news before May. I THINK I trust that the administration knew what it was doing but it's hard to say when big $$$ are being thrown around.

Agreed Rich. I know Roy will hoot and holler about starting over, but I think there was a way to do this without throwing the baby out with the bath water. If the new hire takes weeks, then i will be completely disgusted.

Ideally, you would think that SLU has performed its diligence, has 2-3 candidates in the pipeline, and has a eye on how the recruiting (and current roster) will be affected.

I am an avid bb fan but I cannot remember a time when a coach was fired after the signing date for LOI after two players had signed and before and while the coaches were recruiting to fill 2 or 3 other spots in the lineup. I have never heard of such a development but I wonder if anyone can answer that question.

I agree that this had better not take "weeks" and they better have a big time coach lined up or this is idiocy.

if they did this without having a BIG NAME in hand, this is about as stupid of a move as has yet to be done at slu. and god knows we have seen a lot of them.

now if tomorrow afternoon, a majeruslike name is being introduced at the busch center as our new coach, hey i got no problem with this move.

but if three weeks from now we are settling for the sienna head coach moving here or the assistant from siu, or promoting angres thorpe, there is nothing that makes sense about this.

let's let it play out. i guess the sun will come up tomorrow.

i love anthony bonner. i stand when he passes by. but anthony bonner or an assistant coach, or a low major head coach doesnt make sense when you dissect the statement of the athletic dept this morning.

to make that statement make sense, it has to be a big name.

Will defer final judgement until dust fully settles, however ... large portions of the statement leave me with questions:

1) What is meant by the "extensive review" and "detailed analysis"? Will they share the results of these w/ fans?

2) It is stated that the University has a goal of "consistently having one of the nation's top basketball programs". Will the University clarify how they define that goal quantitatively?

3) Both times "postseason" is mentioned, there is no distinction between NCAA and NIT. Additionally, there's no mention of success in the postseason (either just "making" it or "engaging" in it). Is this intentional? Would Brad have been retained had we snuck into an NIT slot & lost in the first round? What would be the point of that? The goals need to be clarified (e.g., an NCAA tournament win is expected sometime in every 4-5 year cycle).

4) The fourth paragraph is written (IMO) like a job announcement. Not what a PR would look like if there was a candidate in the bag. What would be the upside of not immediately announcing the replacement if one was pre-arranged? And at the same time, why would you can Brad now, if you were just days/weeks away from finalizing an agreement w/ his replacement. Seems to me, you'd just wait until it was final. Please tell me we didn't miss out on participating in the prime coaching vacancy carousel because we were pulling together a "detailed review" / "extensive analysis".

5) Bringing Chaifetz into the PR makes it seem to me, they've done some sort of projection analysis of season tix / attendance under various scenarios and concluded that the status quo (on-court successwise) would not be profitable. Obviously, this is all conjecture, but if that's the case, I question the wisdom that went into the various arena decisions. That is, if we need consistent 23 win seasons (just throwing a number out there) for this to be break-even economically ... why'd we do it? Doesn't seem in keeping w/ the rather conservative approach the University usually takes. I'd have rather built an arena that would be fiscally sound based on historical levels of attendance/performance.

Pat D.

The weeks statement doesn't concern me. They can't announce SLU will name a new coach in 2 days because if it doesn't happen then people panic. Gotta' give yourself some wiggle room.

If Larry and Cheryl don't bring in somebody who can kep the players (meaning TL, KL and LM) and recruits we have signed, they are screwing the program.

The timing of this makes no sense without having a good candidate up their sleeves. Based on the history of SLU's athletic department I'd be shocked if they don't blow it here.