Good news/Bad news re: Rodney Alexander

SLUDrew

The good news: According to a Rivals article dated yesterday we are in his final four along with Ill, Butler, and Tennessee, and he is looking for an opportunity to play right away. It would seem that if playing time becomes his top priority we would shoot to the top of his list

The bad news :

This is a quote he gave which was part of a Rivals article from yesterday:

"I like Tennessee, the coaches seem cool and they play my style of ball," Alexander said. "I like to play in a fast system, and pressing suits my style."

I am not worried so much that he likes Tennessee but that he likes a fast system in which a team presses. Soderberg has apparently never heard of a press.

On a related note, you regularly read about kids who want to play up-tempo, but you never read about a kid who can't wait to get to the next level and play a motion offense and pack D. Should that be an indicator to anyone?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pressing more does not equate in better basketball. The key is how your team plays together against the other team both defensively and offensively. The motion offense does not preclude an uptempo game. If you are running there is no need to go to your motion offense in the half court game. The key here is can we rebound so the quick outlet pass can be made - that will make us a more uptempo style. We have to be able to control the boards without our guards having to do all the rebounding also.

I was not saying that from a basketball theory standpoint that pressing is inherently superior to not pressing. My point was that 90% of the top flight players want to get out and run. Though promised by Brad early on, we have been much close to Princeton than to anything resembling an up-tempo attack during his tenure.

You can say it is due to lack of depth, and I would say then don't recruit players (like Knollmeyer and Maguire) that you have no intention of playing.

>Well if he wants to go to an up-tempo stlye of play UofI

>isnt the place to go. Their games are brutally slow.

That wasnt the case when he had Brown, Williams and head. Weber gameplans around his players strengths not just running a base offense or defense like the pack. Its called knowing your personnel.

Since Weber got there he has recruited players that defend and run the MOTION offense. The players you mentioned were Bill Self recruits. Weber is well know throughout the basketball ranks to use that motion offense.

That doesnt make anything I said wrong. I said he coaches to the strengths of his players. Yes, those guys werent his recruits, but he ran a system different than the current one to play to their strengths. You're actually proving my point while trying to correct me.

My point is when Weber has the chance to recruit his own players, like Alexander, he has the tendancy to force them to play a slow motion offense type game. He did this at SIUC when he had his recruits and is doing the same thing at U of I.

Drew - clearly you have not seen Princeton style bb. If you had you would never say that what the Bills run is a Princeton style. Princeton plays much much slower than we - just look at the scores Princeton games end up and we consistently score more than they do. My point was that what a kid thinks is uptempo might simply be helter skelter playground ball which most coaches would never play.

Rodney's trip to Tennessee was cancelled.

One comment on this board stated the Illini could use Rodney so he can play 12-16 minutes per game for them next year.

I wonder if Rodney hopes he only gets 12-16 mpg?

WARNING: This information came from a message board so one does not know how accurate it is.

From the Illinois message board (posted 4.12.2007 at 5:57 p.m.):

"By this time next week, Illinois might have filled its last available scholarship.

Six-foot-7, 225-pound Rodney Alexander, the leading scorer on the nation’s No. 2 junior-college team, told Sturdy he plans to choose between Illinois, Tennessee and Saint Louis on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Alexander averaged 13.8 points and 5.3 rebounds per game for Redlands (Okla.) Community College, which finished 30-2 and ranked No. 2 in the final NJCAA regular-season poll.

The Benton Harbor, Mich., native shot 59 percent from the field, 76 percent from the line and 35 percent from 3-point range.

“He’ll remind a lot of people of Roger Powell,†Sturdy said. “He’s obviously not as physically imposing as Roger was at the end of his career, but he can score inside and out. He can take guys off the dribble.â€

Per Daily Herald.

Family is from Illinois Father went to ISU... That should play a factor int he young man choosing Illinois of UT.. It's closer to friends and family... Hopefully that plays a huge role.."

Edit: Here's the link to the story: http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/story.asp?id=300746