Suggs transfer?

HenryB

Brian, I am not singling you out, but my posts are largely reactions to other's posts. Nate posted facts and opinions, and some regular posters all but called him a liar and suggested he go away because they disagreed with his facts and options. This is a sticking point with me because Nate brings objectivity, insight, and analysis that we can't get elsewhere.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

>Brian, I am not singling you out, but my posts are largely

>reactions to other's posts. Nate posted facts and opinions,

>and some regular posters all but called him a liar and

>suggested he go away because they disagreed with his facts

>and options. This is a sticking point with me because Nate

>brings objectivity, insight, and analysis that we can't get

>elsewhere.

Agreed. I enjoy Nate's posts.

I know Nate. I think Nate is a good guy. I respect Nate's basketball knowledge. I respect Nate's knowledge about local hs hoops and players. Hell, I even helped Nate move. But, he can't on here and say that a kid SLU is recruiting has better options than SLU and not expect people to call him on it.

If you are on this board and a SLU fan you should think that SLU is the best option for any local kid. That is what I think. I know Nate came on here later and explained what he meant, but until that happened what do you expect people on this board to do.

For those of you who have ripped me because I said that Nate was in the media please note his post above where he says that he cannot be a fan of the Billikens because he is a sportswriter.

Nate, I love your reports on local happenings but I do not understand why you think that as a member of the media that you cannot be a "fan" of the Bills but you feel free to rip the coach and the program. It is the negative editorializing that is the issue. It is just like politics. If a reporter says they have to be neutral in a race because they are a beat writer and then they were to go on the website of the candidate and rip him or her would that be appropriate?

I am sure the opponents of that candidate would just love to see that because they can point to it and make use of it against the candidate.

Why not just report the facts?

Billikan, if you feel Brad, Grunk & Angres are an acceptable group of D1 coaching talent and you feel that they have done an acceptable job, then you are not a true Billikens fan. Either that or your related to one of them.

CAG

Sorry to digress from this interesting banter, but I had heard this same rumor (Suggs possibly going to SCW) from St. Charles people and longtime SLU season ticket holders. I cannot state anything further in that I don't have first hand info. Take it for what it's worth, I did hear from this source that Suggs may not be happy with his coach at Washington. Possibly Suggs sees Kramer doing well, apparently happy and receiving good instruction and hence the notion of a transfer. Terry Hollander of course is a well respected Coach having been at West for a long time and having won State Champ with the Robertsons. No doubt that Suggs would do well under Terry Hollander.

As to the banter, most on this Board welcome new thoughts and ideas. Shouting them down (Nate today) (BRoy 2 weeks ago) (ABC'ers before that) (VTIME a year ago) deprives the Board from other viewpoints. No one really wants that. At the same time, whether a person is big SLU fan or wants to be neutral commentator, just a bit of advice: know your audience. Aren't there better ways to convey your thoughts and make your points.

Same thing with a coaching change. Brad is not the best or worst coach in Div. 1. If Brad is replaced and I don't like his successor, is it fair game for me make negative posts each day, or more, and expect to be above reproach? Of course not.

I'll say it again, UB got a pass for about 4 years. The Stemler deal started the crusade, the no signing of fall recruits got it rolling, the failure to make the dance or even the NIT put it into overdrive. Poster didn't non achieve all of the above, UB did. If you choose not to rip him, don't. But don't scream it's unfair when others do. As for Suggs, he's going to go with his most comfortable option. Most recruits will say on signing day, "I felt really comfortable with the situation at ABC U." What makes up that comfort zone is different for every recruit, ie the coach, the tradition, the campus, your girlfriend goes there, school location to parents, etc. The problem here is UB has to determine whether or not he's fighting a losing battle with Suggs. Take Roundtree or Femi John, and this is pure speculation on my part, did Roundtree go with SIU and has John not committed to SLU because of UB"s strong interest in Suggs? Now John's been offered but still hasn't signed is he afraid he'll play behind Suggs for most of career? Just a thought. And then if Brad loses Suggs to "better options", did he alineate John? Complicated business this recruiting, but I agree with Nate go after the lesser stars right now and develop them. Then the brighter ones will come.

moytoy, you say yourself, "there is the occasional kid (KL) who will desire to go to SLU because of what they're looking for."

for suggs, it has been said numerous times by frank c, and ramsey and folks here who claim to be somewhat close to the suggs family, that playing locally is a strong factor for scott suggs and he has a very good and close family.

i would expect that same family to be academics concerned and very interested in a sincere coach that will take care of their son both on the court and just as importantly off the court.

i.e. suggs sounds like he is that occasional kid. thus when i read nate make the broad, "suggs would rather go to florida to play in national championship games, that kind of irks me. nate could have just as easily said, suggs really is considering staying local to play with his friend kramer, get a business degree, and play in front of his parents at slu. but nothing is mentioned about that.

not putting both sides out there when it in fact is known there is a reason that slu is being seriously considered as well, gives me cause to wonder what the ax is with nate. either an ax or nate again is doing a sloppy job. which is it?

i read a number of other message boards and dont see nate at them nearly as much as here. why is that?

moytoy said,

" If true and Florida, Illinois, Missouri and a few other BCS schools are after Suggs, you don't think those are better basketball options? put yourself in the shoes of Suggs."

first off it is laughable to include the current state of mi$$ouri in the same breath as florida and illinois. mi$$ouri has a long long way to go to even be better than slu let alone be mentioned with florida and illinois.

second, to directly answer your question, assuming no one leaves early, the bcs schools likely dont even put suggs in the position he will definitely start let alone be one of the goto guys as he would immediately at slu. if a kid has nba expectations, i want to be at a school that allows me to be the show asap.

think about the stephon curry kid at davidson. that kid is now being talked about as an nba player. at davidson, he was the show immediately. had he went to north carolina, he would have been lawson's backup. he obviously could have went to a higher profile school than davidson, but saw davidson as a better vehicle to showcase his talent. and he was right.

i just checked, there is no record of "nate latsch" ever posting at tigerboard. yet it is believed he only posts here to give us information he provides to all college basketball. we are lucky.

"first off it is laughable to include the current state of mi$$ouri in the same breath as florida and illinois. mi$$ouri has a long long way to go to even be better than slu let alone be mentioned with florida and illinois."

I disagree that missouri has a "long long way to go to be better than slu." I think SLU and missouri are close and if it's laughable to inlcude missouri with florida and illinois, then what does that mean for slu?

I can't believe you guys are arguing this so vehemently.

The implication that an NBA hopeful kid should rather be at SLU than a BCS school so he can be the "show" is laughable.

Curry...yes...there are examples that buck the trend. I didn't say all.

Listen, i want SLU to get the best players they can, but to think that SLU is an equal option to BCS schools (all things being equal which i have stated earlier) is just silly.

i just hope those of you abc folks remember this thread when we lose a recruit in the future to a bcs school. i would expect not a negative word from the abc.

that's a bunch of b.s. and you know it roy. "all things being equal", what don't you and nashville understand about that? If a kid is sitting in our backyard and we fail to recruit that kid and let the big guys come around and steal the recruit, then there is ample reason to gripe.

Silly reasoning on your behalf. If brad screws it up, i'll state my opinion as such. Tough ##### if you don't want to hear a negative word.

Broy, you are going to blame the ABC'ers for losing recruits? Are you laying the groundwork for some future UB excuse for seeing a kid sign elsewhere? I don't believe this...now we're going to be held accountable for 5 years of lousy recruiting? Bring her up Newt, we're heading for the Alfalfa!

Lemme ask you this...what do you mean by basketball opportinity? Because I feel like you're approaching this from the standpoint of a fan and not a player. I've never once argued with you that these schools are higher profile.

When I hear basketball opportunity, I percieve that to mean...Where can I go where I can have a significant impact, showcase my skills, and give myself the best opportunities after my collegiete career ends. IMO, there are only about 50-60 kids per class that can say this about the BCS schools. I think Tommie Liddell is a stud, but I'm hesitant that he would start for UNC. A better basketball opportunity for him is at SLU where he's a star. Now, his high school coach may want to him to play for UNC cause that is better for HIM to watch on TV every week and brag to his buddies.

There is no such thing as all things being equal. That's ludicrous. That why I haven't paid that any attention. I've already said Florida is the higher profile team. Nobody has argued that with you. Hell, you were comparing SLU to three schools yesterday - Illinois, Missouri, and Florida. Illinois and Mizzou aren't even in the same category as Florida in terms of profile and tradition.

Recruiting and college decisions are about the INDUVIDUAL. It sounds like you think they should just rank all the players, rank all the schools and divide everybody up accordingly. Sure, then all things are equal, but how that pertains to this is beyond me.

i don t see how you can have it both ways.

on one hand you want to hold soderberg resposible for recruiting yet you readily admit we cant compete with bcs schools. if that is true why even try to recruit the likes of suggs?

no i never said it would be the abc's fault. i said i dont want to hear from abc when we lose out on a recruit to a national team if it is a given from the abc that a recruit naturally should choose a florida or illinois before they choose a slu. that isnt blaming the abc for the miss, but it is saying if the abc truly beleives that, then they shouldnt ***** when that happens. the abc is saying that a recruit like suggs should naturally go to florida or washington or illinois over slu, so if slu doesnt get suggs, how can the abc say "dammit, soderberg didnt close suggs. he should be fired for missing out on that recruit."

I'm sorry that you can't look at 2 schools and see that one school is probably a better option than the other. Of course it comes down to the individual. On the whole, individuals are going to choose one school more than the other for certain reasons inherent to that school.

Like i said, this isn't brain surgery.

Roy, quit twisting words. When did i (and i'm the only one really saying much other than you or 'ville in this thread but of course you attribute my words to the "abc"...but i digress) say that a recruit "should" choose florida or illinois before slu?

If brad messes up recruiting, then i will be critical of brad for that.