UK and Tubby Smith

slu72

The fur is flying fst and furious in Lexington. Was talking to a friend last night, who is a big UK fan. He said Tubby might not make it to next year at UK. Supposedly, UK fans are upset at Tubby's lack of desire to recruit the nation's big name players to UK. The OJ Mayo and Gordon types. Tubby's philosophy is to build senior and junior dominated teams rather than do it with the one and done types. Just assume for a minute Tubby gets one more year at UK and doesn't produce, ie at UK produce means national champ or at the least final four team. Say UB doesn't come through this spring and next year goes same old same old for SLU. Is it a stretch to imagine SLU bringing in a guy of Tubby's rep? Would they spend the $$$, say $750,000 or more? Would Tubby only consider another BCS job and snub a SLU type school? I've always thought TS was a class guy, and how exciting would it get around here if he was the HC in the new arena? I know, this is a Hail Mary pass, but hey one can dream right?

I remember talking to some UK fans during the regionals at the dome (I believe it was in 99), and they weren't crazy about Tubby even then. Every time Saul Smith would touch the ball, they'd go nuts.

I think Tubby will always coach in a BCS conference if things don't work out for him at UK.

One could argue that Jim Calhoun assistants have been the better tree to pluck from: Dave Leitao (DePaul, UVA), Carl Hobbs (GWU), Central Conn State coach name escapes me, and Tom Izzo has put some of his assistants at some successful programs, I know everyone knows Brian Gregory.

tx, gregory has had less success than soderberg. heath is supposedly on the hot seat at arkansas and has taken arkansas to a lower level than they had been under richardson.

i will give izzo tom crean as a success. otherwise, for the most part, izzo coaches havent done all that much.

It's funny how just a few months ago I was criticized (by a guy who I think has since been banned) for saying that SLU fans had unrealistic expectations for coaching candidates.

Tubby Smith?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!??!

This is the most outragueous one yet. I hope my old friend comes back with the lame "straw man" argument on this one.

kevin, i agree with you regarding most names that have been floated around as potential replacements, no way in hell SLU gets a "name" coach. Be it lavin, majerus, tubby, etc., it ain't gonna happen. IF a time comes for finding a coach, i hold out some hope we can pull a good assistant from a BCS school. But these other suggestions are silly.