Lisch story

SLURadioBoy

>Broy's right about 'Zo. Longshots were giving him all the

>right signs but in the end-NADA, hence we get Pulley, the

>kid from Montana, Kern (non qualifier), and Hollins at UCLA.

First, Hollins would have been a major force for SLU this season. He is being touted as a future NBA player and starting for UCLA as a sophomore. Brad should have worked the kid harder to keep his committment to SLU.

Second, there's a difference between going after top ranked kids from outside your area and kids from the area. When Crean came to Milwaukee the belief was once the big boys got involved no kid would want to stay home and play for Marquette - that's why Deane didn't go after local kids. If Crean had bought into that mindset he doesn't land Merritt (over Pitt, Ohio State, Michigan) Diener (Wisconsin, Utah and others) and Novak (Illinois, UNC, Florida). I don't care if Duke, Stanford and Arizona starts recruiting Lisch or any other top local player, you have to put the full court press on him constantly if you ever want to reach their levels.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i believe that brad and beane made 3 trips to l.a. to try to save the hollins loi. if anything, brad hung around too long.

I totally agree - on a local kid you have to fight any school - I don't care who they are - tooth and nail for that recruit. I certainly understand if you are trying to get a kid from far away you might want to be make sure that they really have a deep interest before investing alot of time in him - a lesson Romar did not heed.

Grimes was a local kid - Shaw was not. I know that Centralia is not that far away but clearly Brad wanted Grimes first for a reason and was willing to gamble. I still say, that the Romar example only works if you say - be cautious of those from far away - the problem with Romar was he did not get deep enough with the local kids to have a solid chance or else he would have gotten at least one - I know he got Sloan but Chris while he has been a plus was not a top 100 kid.

slu72 said, "Am sure Coach K and UB have totally different approaches."

probable coach k approach: "hey joe recruit, you want to play for duke?"

recruit: "yeah"

coach k. "ok, sign the loi when it comes in november. see ya."

Crean didn't settle and got some nationally known recruits like Deiner and Merritt. And Crean has made a Final Four. I also applaud Brad for not settling like some of you guys want him to do. He has said a Final Four is possible at SLU. He seems to be approaching recruiting ambitiously, but also realistically, with sights on making a run at the Final Four someday hopefully in the not too distant future.

Roy - that is exactly my point - on a local top kid you have to fight hard for him. Romar might have tried but he never seemed to make it over the hump with the local kids and his staying on with the ones that were from far away backfired. He should have recognized that as the case but as you said it is up to the coaches to make that decision - after all if they miss on too many kids they will be out of a job.

on using our recruitment of Kalen Grimes as the reason Shaw didn't come here. B-Roy you quoted Shaw somewhere on this thread as saying he wanted to come to SLU. I know I never heard any such quote.

Our recruitment of Kalen may have been one of MANY factors in him deciding to committ to SIU. Other factors could have been: SIU has recently been a better program than SLU and he felt he'd have a better opportunity at the dance at SIU, he liked the coaches and/or players at SIU more, he thought he'd get more playing time at SIU, SIU has been recruiting him for as long as we have been recruiting Lisch, he simply felt more comfortable at SIU, his girlfriend could be going to SIU for all we know. The point is there are a million reason he could have chosen SIU over SLU and MAYBE our recruitment of Kalen was one of them.

We can be as condecending towards SIU and SMS as Mizzou and Illinois can be towards us. Think about it'll sound next year if we are reading the Tigerboard or Illini board and they are complaining that the only reason they didn't get Lisch was because they recruited some other hotshot guard early in the summer.

Wait minute Roy - Hollins was ours already. Brad did not hang around too long with him. Hollins could not move on without our release and all Brad tried to do was convince him to want to still come to SLU. When that did not work, we released him out of fairness - some schools do not such as Pepperdine keeping Josh on the edge all this time. I still think Hollins was looking for a reason to change his mind and used Romar's leaving as an excuse - he was never coming to SLU.

he got kern and sloan, he was there at the end on miles, stuck around on david lee too long was probably mckinney's only other choice. didnt try on gilbert as he wanted edwin. hindsight says that was a mistake, but at the time i ageed with the potential of edwin over gilbert. what other locals did he miss out on that would have been significant contributors?

cheeseman, the real question when looking at comparing grimes and shaw is "why did he think it was worth stringing along waiting for grimes when he could have had what appears to be the better but slightly smaller shaw all along?" if grimes was an all-american, i could have seen it, but grimes is what you see, a gold medal body with an also run deserved reputation.

It's amazing how you guys think SLU is this supreme team on the rise. It's also amazing how you think you lost Shaw because of your recruitment of Grimes. We had been recruiting Shaw since his sophmore year. At this point, I could see SIU becoming a final-four caliber team years before SLU.

I think most people on this board need a reality check and slow things down a bit. SLU is a decent team, but they are about to drop 3 straight on the road. Where will they be then? Barely above .500 ball.

This subject seems to have been exhausted but there is one more point about recruiting philosophy and who SLU pursues. Soderberg has stated from the begining it is his intention to recruit locally and expand from this area. Some times you have to take a chance, however, make sure the benefit is worth the risk.

Get serious. I'm truly embarrassed for you.

I'll admit SLU hasn't proved that much this season, but we've certainly proven more than SIU. SIU has only played one potential NCAA team - that being Charlotte - they played at home and they lost.

As weak as SLU's sos is, SIU's is much worse and while SLU's will rise appreciably over the next 6 weeks, SIU's will remain pathetic. So enjoy the big Drake game and good luck against Wichita State - I know that's been circled on your calendar since schedules came out.

After SIU makes it to the Final Four I'll fly you up to NYC and buy you a baloney sandwich.

salukis, why are you on this board anyway. nobody is hating on siu's program. we know how good they are and respect the success that the salukis have enjoyed in postseason play. you may even enter the top 25 if you can win at wichita state this week.

if you want to come on here and talk smack, we can go there. yes, there's a chance that we may lose road games at charlotte, uab and memphis. those are three teams that could easily go at least 15-3 in the mvc this year or even better. you just keep dominating the indiana states, drakes, illinois states, bradleys (without gilbert), and evansvilles and be happy with being the top dog in an top-heavy league full of scrubs. we saw what happened when charlotte came to your place a month ago(good bye home-court winning streak). that's just a one-game occurence for you. take a visit to the shoe, freedom hall, bradley center, pyramid, hilton, mchale center,in one year. who have your toughest nonconference road games been against this year, wisconsin-milwaukee and wyoming. decent teams, but hardly georgia tech or dayton. while we may not do as well against sms, i think slu has a winning record against the salukis in the past 10 years or so. you can check on that. (I've got a lot more.)

shaw was a saluki from the word go. he was a top local recruit, the salukis had to have him and painter did a great job. when he was hired to replace bruce, there was no question where matt was going because he had built a good relationship with matt. he will be a great player. instead of taking on jason maxiel or curtis withers (remember him?), he'll deal on the likes of paul davis and najeeb echols.

the same thing happened with drew richards and sms. they were in on him from the beginning and they were rewarded for their loyalty with drew's commitment despite the fact that schools such as marquette, texas tech and other big 12 and big 10 schools came hard. drew stayed true to barry and his staff and will be a bear.

slu fans are hoping that the same thing happens in the lisch recruitment. they have been on the case hard from the beginning and now the big boys are starting to swoop in when they figured out what we've known all along. billiken roy has been touting lisch on this board before he played a high school game.

bad boyz for life

I'm no Salukis fan, but I admire what's going on there right now. I think it's what SLU should emulate (behind Gonzaga and Xavier &l;other than the fact that up-and-coming upstart Richmond won AT Xavier yesterday!&r;, that is). Bruce Weber really built that program up. If Creighton "just reloads," then what should we say about SIU?

Southern Illinois has a better chance (right now) of earning an at-large bid than the Billikens.