Fire Brad before it's too late ;o)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheryl at halftime yesterday said we had to win 1 more game, so I think this win may get us in the NIT. I give Brad credit. I am not quite sure what adjustments he made at half time, but they worked and we over came the first half deficit. He played different people at pg and Lisch and Liddel were bringing the ball up against pressure, so the UMass full court defense was made less effective. TL was shut down at the start of the 2nd half, but Husak and others stepped up. Some wonder why Husak was not played more at the start of the season, but as I recall he looked weak and had no reflexes. I thought I could out bench him. However, he apparantly has worked out during the season. He looks stronger, much stronger, and his reflexes seem quicker. He has morphed into a player. We can't compare this run to Memphis unless we win 4. Steve The Sign Guy got a lot of TV time. He is now a star, but we already knew he was special.

I thought SLU could win 20 games and have a shot at the big dance. It's not likely at this point, but it's possible with 2 more wins. Anybody who has follwed SLU at all can be a little disappointed with the season but has to realize that you can't fire a coach who has won more games than the program has had in 10 years and improved over the past season by at least 4 wins. SLU did NOT become Duke this past offseason. The folks who have ben calling for Brad's head just don't get it.

That the billikens would win 20 games and be left up against the wall at "the dance" i would have laughed in your face.

Posted Image

Posted Image

"I was on fire, I was hotter than a pistol" Jason McElwaine

If theres no SLU basketball in heaven I'm not going!!!!!!

Official Billikens.com Sponsor of Chris Sloan and Billiken Volleyball

and Official Billiken.com Online Video Guy

Cheer up Drew. Maybe you will get your wish (SLU loses) tomorrow. Also, unless SLU can win 8 more games in a row, their season will end with a loss and such failure will give you plenty of topics for another year of whining.

>I thought SLU could win 20 games and have a shot at the big

>dance. It's not likely at this point, but it's possible

>with 2 more wins. Anybody who has follwed SLU at all can be

>a little disappointed with the season but has to realize

>that you can't fire a coach who has won more games than the

>program has had in 10 years and improved over the past

>season by at least 4 wins. SLU did NOT become Duke this

>past offseason. The folks who have ben calling for Brad's

>head just don't get it.

It would only be fair to add that SLU no longer has to play Louisville, Cincy, Marquette, DePaul, Memphis....etc...

Anybody who has followed SLU at all....would tell you the total number of wins isn't viewed as impresseive against weaker competition. SLU was projected 13-3 14-2 in the league....and struggled. SLU also failed to register many quality non-conference wins.

No, this isn't Duke, but there are minimal expectations after 5 seasons.

SLU can win the conference tournament with two more wins to "save" the season, and that is what it is. One at a time, ...tomorrow.

Same old tired crap. Those of us who don't think Brad walks on water actually want SLU to lose.

I thought we all agreed that even though we disagree on various issues surrounding the progam we could all concede that all of us are passionate Billiken fans. I guess that can't happen.

Can you not figure out how we can love SLU and not love Brad Soderberg???????

I was ecstatic after the win last night. I thought Brad did a great job, especially in his handling of the bigs.

My initial reply in this thread was simply intended to point out that we aren't "there" yet.

This game was won because you could tell a few players, mainly seniors, did not want to end their career last night. We still have two big games left. We just won a quarterfinal game, not the final four.

When judging this season and the job Brad did, I still can't get over the three TERRIBLE losses we had that literally cost us our season and our preseason goal....to go to the tourney.

I agree. 20 wins is not that impressive anymore and not a guaranty to get into the Big Dance. Especially, in a weak league where SLU should have won 11-13 conference games. They should have 24 wins right now and we would not be debating a NIT bid, we would be debating a NCAA big. Anyway, enough of that already.....

I was very happy with the win last night and SLU could pull this off. They have beaten GW before, so we all know what they can do. But let's not get too carried away with BS and begin this talk once again. SLU has definitely underachieved this year and we can point the finger in many directions. However, SLU is on a nice run right now and let's just enjoy it. Once it is over, we can begin the talk about what went wrong....

Someone needs to step up again tonight (besides the big three). JJ, BH, or DP. One of them... or all of them.

You guys are a bunch, I swear. Why not just fess up and say that you will be unhappy with Soderberg, regardless of whatever success is acheived. You not only want the team to succeed, you want it to happen according to your persoal scenario. With the possible exception of the very small Great Midwest, every conference we have been in has had weak sisters. As it happens, this team has performed reasonably well against the top of the conference. The fact that you folks refuse to acknowledge progress is truly indicative that you have suspended rational thought. The question is, "Did we improve?" Clearly the answer is yes. Of what possible relevancy is it that, "gee, 20 wins just aint what it used to be."? The constant negetivity is wearing.

We have 20 wins. Thank you for quoting Kevin Slaten though. As Cheryl would say, you are not the NCAA who has us with 20 wins. Quincy may not affect the RPI but we're learning putting too much stock in the RPI can leave you whining for 12 months about how you should have gotten in the big dance.

>You guys are a bunch, I swear. Why not just fess up and say

>that you will be unhappy with Soderberg, regardless of

>whatever success is acheived. You not only want the team to

>succeed, you want it to happen according to your persoal

>scenario. With the possible exception of the very small

>Great Midwest, every conference we have been in has had weak

>sisters. As it happens, this team has performed reasonably

>well against the top of the conference. The fact that you

>folks refuse to acknowledge progress is truly indicative

>that you have suspended rational thought. The question is,

>"Did we improve?" Clearly the answer is yes. Of what

>possible relevancy is it that, "gee, 20 wins just aint what

>it used to be."? The constant negetivity is wearing.

When somebody wants to say this is the most wins in 10 years...it is very relevant to add for perspective, that the past few seasons, conference play has not been as competitive as the previous ones. Expectations are much higher in conference.

As for Brad, he's a friend, not a Brad hater here....but he needs to win the conference tourney to make the season successful. I, unlike other people have said all season that the conference tourney title is a legit way to dance that people undervalue as lucky. No tourney title, combined with already completed regular season would be a disapppointment. Thirty something people took place in a poll earlier this year and 100% of them said it would be a disapointment, if SLU didn't dance.

Trust me I was not quoting Slaten, because I did not cuss when I said it.

As far as Brad keeping his job, there is only one reason he should lose his job and that is he cannot recruit. He doesn't care to recruit and he cannot evaluate talent. He is just flat out horrible when it comes to recruiting. He didn't recruit Tommie other people did and Lisch wasn't considering anything else. You cannot name a player other than those that Brad had to outwork somebody to get and that trend will continue even with the 08 class.

tr_hoops said,

"He doesn't care to recruit and he cannot evaluate talent. He is just flat out horrible when it comes to recruiting. He didn't recruit Tommie other people did and Lisch wasn't considering anything else. You cannot name a player other than those that Brad had to outwork somebody to get and that trend will continue even with the 08 class."

tr, who were the "other people" that recruited tommie liddell?

if lisch wasnt considering anywhere else, then why did he visit illinois, indiana and carbondale? why did weber chase him around for two years?

if soderberg is so horrible in evaluating talent, how in the hell did he see anything in ian vouyoukas? i can guarantee you that for the first two years ian was here, i sure as hell didnt see the ian that soderberg kept telling us about and after 4 years, soderberg was pretty much right on as to what ian would turn into.

i think it is interesting ragin that you post to my rebuttal but the 4 or five shots against soderberg above mine has no comments from you.

why dont you make a nasty comment about one of our players or new recruits again today. you are a great billiken fan.

Roy I am not sure what your deal is or why you are such a bitter man. Didn't quit posting on here a couple of weeks ago? The fact of the matter is that I know far more than you about this team and college basketball in general and honestly could care less how you respond to this. At the end of the day I am still young and successful and you are a middle-aged loan officer. I have tried to be nice to you and you continually take shots at me for no reason so if you want to dance, lets dance.

Before this season started virtually every poster on this board agreed on a few points:

1) The Bills under Soderberg have not really seen any real improvement, but he deserved this season to see what he could do with the best team he has assembled.

2) This particular team had more than enough talent to make a tourney run especially given the realtive weakness of the A-10. Look back at the pre-season predictions we all made. Without even looking at the thread I can tell you with certainty that very few, if any posters, picked the Bills to finish with less than a 10-6 conference record. Most predictions were 12-4, or 13-3. We were 8-8. I also don't remember anyone picking us to finish below 3rd place. We finished in 7th.

Now, if the A-10 had surprisingly had turned into a 4 or 5 bid league then I think we could all say we didn't see that coming and there is no shame finishing with the record we did. But that is not the case.

I just wonder what happened to all the "NCAA or bust" sentiment that was so prevelant on this board before the season started.

We still have a very real chance of reaching the dance with two wins over the next two days. In fact, the way we are playing right now, I like our chances. Personally, I don't think getting in via a conference tourney run is cheap at all, and I would obviously take it and not apologize for it.

My point is, the notion that myself and others who have expressed concern about where Brad is taking the program are somehow not as passionate about the Billikens, or even more absurd, rooting for the Bills to lose so we can somehow be vindicated, is completely ridiculous and uncalled for. This is especially true since so many said that if this team doesn't make the tourney, we really need to take a look at the state of the program.

Someone please answer me this simple question; Why would we buy season tickets, listen to every single out of town game on the radio, and post with such frequency on this board, if we are rooting for SLU to lose?

glad to hear you are so successful. you have no idea how successful i am though do you? i assume you are a billiken club member like many of us. thanks for supporting the billikens.

my bitterness with you is your multiple monikers and slaps at the billiken program.

your comment about liddell and anthony mitchell the other day was way way over the line. you may have thought it was cute, i was appalled you would even joke about our players and recruits as such.