Looks like Billikens lose out on another 08 player

ccp101

If Southern Illinois is now able to land 6-foot-8 Gateway Tech swingman Jesse Perry, who was the other player Torres Roundtree hoped to get to Carbondale, the Salukis will be in good shape for the next several seasons.

Booker is long and athletic. He's kind of like a raw but more dynamic Randal Falker, because he can also go outside and handle the ball and knock down 3-pointers.

- Nate

just curious if you have any idea why tommie and kevin were at scw friday night?

i realize kramer is on the slu bench for most games and sometimes practices with the team, but that is strange to me.

you can't have your team go off campus to recruit, can you? and i am in no way saying they were recruiting, they were just there, came late and left early so no player contact, well they would have been late if not for the it seemed like 2 hour senior night fun and if they were recruiting the blonde 2 rows in front of them would be a nice addition to the slu fan base

>just curious if you have any idea why tommie and kevin were

>at scw friday night?

I would guess it's because they are basketball fans.

Like a lot of people there that night, they probably wanted to watch Kramer vs. Scott Suggs.

I saw Dwayne Polk last night at the Berkeley-Gateway Tech game.

These are just kids who love basketball.

- Nate

So what happens to our Billikens if the local 4 and 5-star recruits sign with BCS schools, all of the 3-star recruits sign with Carbondale and Mo State, and the only remaining decent recruit, Kramer, follows his father to his next destination?

Chris Lowery is much smarter then Brad and his staff. While still offering guys like Suggs he realizes that's a long shot and locks down the 2nd tier guys. If we end up losing that top talent to BCS schools, we'll be left with an embarrassing '08 class.

CAG

what it feels like to me is when you have a investment manager that has underperformed for the past 11 months and knows his day of reconning is coming during the annual review and he's got 1 month left to hit a home-run with his performance. Instead of investing in the stable/conservative stocks that will almost surely get get him some marginal over-performance he is betting all his money on the longshots. If they come through he'll be a hero, but if they don't it won't matter to him that he ignored the safe bets because he's going to get fired and it'll be someone else's problem.

"Instead of investing in the stable/conservative stocks that will almost surely get get him some marginal over-performance..." You bond guys are all alike. ;-)

"A strong man stands up for himself; a stronger man stands up for others." - Ben

>I just confirmation and that is the truth. Chris Lowery is

>rolling and now he is focused on the 09 class. Which means

>he is coming to Maplewood this week to watch Bryant Allen

>for the third time this year.

Lowery has already seen Allen twice this year. Lowery really is on top of his job and really values this area. I know people have told me to be quiet about area players, but Lowery has already seen the sophomore Allen twice this year. With so many other sophomores in different areas and states, he's seen Allen twice already this year. That should show you how good our area talent is. Even though Brad has Frazier, Baniak, and Redden over at Maplewood, he'll probably still wait until Lowery offers before he offers.

>If Southern Illinois is now able to land 6-foot-8 Gateway

>Tech swingman Jesse Perry, who was the other player Torres

>Roundtree hoped to get to Carbondale, the Salukis will be in

>good shape for the next several seasons.

>

>Booker is long and athletic. He's kind of like a raw but

>more dynamic Randal Falker, because he can also go outside

>and handle the ball and knock down 3-pointers.

>

>- Nate

Why Perry and not his other teammate Femi John? Do you think Lowery would actually put the 6'8 Perry at pg and with Roundtree at the sg and Booker at the sf?

>Knocking down the three.....isn't that a little overstated

>for a guy who has take 10 3 pt all year and hit 2.......

He's proven he can make them time and time again on the AAU circuit where he gets to play away from the basket. He plays center for North. If he takes a 3, its not in the flow of the offense or anything, just a broken play. 2 of those I've seen in person were last second heaves from beyond midcourt. He wants to play some wing, that's why he's just now getting time, because Reed wanted him to be a center. Last year 6'3 senior Demarkus Maydum had all of Booker's minutes because he was content not to shoot and just score off the occasional putback. He was a great defensive player. Booker's stock is so high despite his numbers because of his versatility and ability to play different positions. His skill set is his greatest asset.

>So Lowry practically has his 07 and 08 classes wrapped up

>already and has the freedom to start recruiting players from

>the 09 class - all before Brad has completed his 07 class.

>That's just great.

When you put it that way, it does seem kind of bad, but there is still plenty of talent for Brad to choose from. Lots of 2008 talent left and the guys Lowery got although not the top talents, they fit his defensive oriented system. Now maybe Brad can find some guys for his system, some shooters specifically. Suggs, Thompson, Kramer, John, McCoy, are all shooters.

When Roundtree committed this was a done deal. I wasn't sure SIUC had offered Booker but when/if they did Booker would jump at the chance to play more with Torres.

I know Nate and Vtime are high on Booker but I'm not. Roundtree and John have far more potential and better work habits. Booker cannot play the wing. Way way way too slow. He shoots fine in practice but his touch from outside is not worthy of a even a college 3 man. This guy is going to be an inside player. He has tons to work and a couple big disadvantages to being a big man at the college level.

1. He is lucky if he is pushing 6'7

2. His hands are the size of a 6 foot man.

3. Despite decent athleticism (which will be average at the college level) he doesn't rebound all that well and is not an active shot blocker even at the HS level.

I'm not trying to knock the guy here, but he has deficiences in his game and he would be last on my list of the area D-1 caliber big men that I would want at SLU. I'd eat my Billiken hat if Booker outshone John and Roundtree at the next level.

The + if there is any to having Lowery and SIUC crush us on recruiting in our backyard is John will not go to Carbondale with them and may not want to go to a valley school so he doesn't have to play against those guys 2 or 3 times a year for 4 years.