Soderberg on KFNS today at noon- summary

How come more than one bad loss becomes the coaches not the players fault? I did not absolve UB of responsibility for the loss. The fact of the matter is that the losses were poor showings all the way around. Imo ... our worst areas have been giving up offensive rebounds, defending the 3, and turning the ball over against the press. Two of those three are directly related to recruiting.

I'm not saying UB is innocent ... imo there isn't a good excuse for having to play Luke at the 4 this year. We shouldn't have to rely on true freshmen to unseat him.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Before everyone loses perspective on this thread being about recruiting, just take note of how the Griffster keeps referring to SLU as we. Also I have seen his family represented at more SLU games than anyone else we are recruiting. These are definitely some good things to take note of and maybe just maybe, Brad is getting it done for the future. Then again maybe he is spending too much time on the future and not enough time on today. Just a little something to ponder.

I somewhat agree with you. Turning the ball over vs the press is, imo, without a doubt the coaches fault. you have to develop your players and teach them the fundamentals.

i agree that better recruiting leads to more wins. no doubt, we all agree with this. however, again, we face the same problems in regards to recruiting yet the bonnies, fordham, temple and duquesne beat us. we cant continue to blame recruiting with these losses. that's my point. poor coaching is why we lost. learn how to play defense, dont rely on a walk on, handle the pressure for example.

Sorry TR... we means me, you and SLU fans on the board. Don't read anything into that. Plus the small company I work for now..has season tickets.

Later guys...enjoy the rest of the season. Not your fault TR but I'll mind my own business again for a while.

What I am trying to say is the only reason I think Tyler Griffey or others right now are interested in SLU is because of the coach.

The facility situation gets worse every year and we are in a far graver situation than we were when Romar left. Every year we have more schools pass us by or further separate themselves from us. Every year this becomes a harder place to coach. Thank God that is about to change.

Bobby Cremins told Grawer to get the hell out of here and take the Bradley job twenty years ago. He should have listened. Spoon got fed up with it.

It is going to get better soon, but it is still going to hurt us till it gets better.

Also it won't make a true difference unless Biondi opens up the purse strings when it comes to the recruiting budget.

Rich Grawer was the best recruiter out of the past 5 coaches ( Ekker, Grawer, Spoonhour, Romar, Soderberg). He recruited Anthony Bonner, Julian Winfield, Roland Gray, Monroe Douglas, Erwin Clagget, Melvin Robinson, and Scott Highmark. There were other that were pretty good but these players were certainly the cream of his crop of players. Spoon from a recruiting stand point never capitalized on the two back to back Billiken NCAA appearances. I consider him a very average recruiter but very good with the x's and o's.

actually i think the other aspects of the budget are even more restraining when it comes to presenting slu as a big time program. we have a one horse staff with tons of inexperience and not enough personell to present a big time picture. we need to be attacking marketing, game day, smoozing boosters and media, to bring about continued big time success.

as it is now, i can only imagine the staff working long hours and not even coming close to accomplishing anything long term. it is likely constant crisis management and baptism by fire and learning on teh job on all fronts. and once someone gets some experience they are on their way to bigger and better and we hire another newby.

shooter, how much of grawer's success was grawer rcruiting and how much credit should lee winfield get? i have long believed that we should have done all we could to have kept lee around when the change in guard. was spoon just not interested in keeping lee around or did lee not want to be a part of spoon's regime? any insight?

Lee and Rich were really good friends. There was no way Lee was staying after Grawer was fired and that was well known to everyone involved.

Don't sell Grawer short on the recruiting front. Winfield played a big role, but Grawer busted his ass and did a better job on the local kids than any coach since. He had great connections with the area coaches and had a better relationship with Irons than any coach since. It is sort of a shame that he never did get to enjoy any of the fruits of his best class. His firing cost us any legit shot at Thames, Woods, Carrawell, and others.

...to have an effective sports information department? I know money is an issue, but i can't imagine these are the most demanding jobs in the world. Roy, you have brought up a lot of simple things they should be doing and they can't even accomplish that. I agree with you, the SID is pathetic...money or no money.

It isn't hard if you have somebody willing to work hard. This program doesn't even update slubillikens.com when coaches are on the radio or TV. Try finding a schedule for the coach’s show or any info for the coach’s show on the site. I wont even ask them to try and provide a listen live link. That lack of thought and effort is inexcusable.

Every time a coach or player is scheduled to be on radio or tv it should put on the front page. A listen live or view live link should be posted when possible.

I absolutely agree. The marketing and PR folks have handcuffed coaches for decades. Even though I am not yet convinced that the MVC would have been a better choice for the Bills, one overwhelmingly compelling reason to join the MVC is the built in PR and marketing that would occur: Doug Elgin and his staff are some the absolute best in this department, and, as a result, their league is growing in recognition and stature each year. The MVC would pick up some of the slack from SLU's inefficiency.

maybe, just maybe, every once in a great while the players don't take coaching to heart and don't respond as they should to the coaching they receive or maybe they just played poorly. Closed lazily on 3 pt shooters, didn't fill their asignments when blocking out, or were lacksidaisical with their ball handling ... despite being coached to do things differently.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

and he did not even get out of summer tryouts as I recall. He was a player who blew up his senior year. He was just OK his junior year.

He was a nice player but he never contributed like Tommie and Kevin and they are just sophomores. Why won't you give Brad credit for anything?