Slaten per STLMedia

smitty

Did anyone catch what exactly he said?

KFNS' Kevin "Slatey" Slaten: He wasn't "sick" on Monday as reported. He was serving a one-day suspension for his comments about Brad Soderberg and SLU. The SLU administration was livid when they heard the comments. That is why Bob Ramsey was on his tirade today about everyone ripping on Soderberg.

bob ramsey has done his best billiken cheerleading and defense he might have ever performed between yesterday and today. my long lost faith in bullet bob has been restored. he was a tiger on calls yesterday morning blowing away every single caller that brought the weak ass uninformed calls of attack.

much of the time and does say some very abrasive things.

However, he is a sports talk-show host. How boring would talk radio get if these guys always have to give the company line? I really don't like this precedent at all. These guys get paid to give their opinion, no matter how much we may disagree with it.

the biggest one that i recall he used a lot was pointing out that the billikens record is 12-7 not 7-12. he would ask what coach has been fired with a positive record?

he would point out the differences between bcs football schools vs the private schools and the infrastructure differences.

all in all he just didnt back down to anyone.

slaten was lying his ass off on some of the stuff he was saying. it is one thing to be misinformed, but he would have to know he was making stuff up about recruiting misses last week.

i would think that is where he got in trouble.

since the weekend, it appears slu administration has decided to come out swinging. i like that as the media was just being brutal. some admittedly deserved, but the fact remains, if someone tuned in to our radio or tv stations before yesterday and heard the attacks, one would think we were sacramento state with a 0-20 record not 12-7.

he was going through the list of recruits that he claimed slu never even offered. flat out lies. most were approached at some point. that point might have been bad timing, but it was a lie to say they were all never approached.

Personally, I think it's about time the administration got a little fired up and stopped sitting on their hands. Here's hoping they are truly committed to providing the resources availalble. Not saying they havn't been, but as quiet as they have been it sure is easy to draw the conclusion that they are not doing everything they can.

Drew-boy;

your comment is poorly constructed and poorly stated. try thinking through these issues. in particular, obviously you see nothing wrong with the slanderous and abrasive style of talk radio -- precisely because you practice it much of the time.

Educated people find most talk radio idiotic and an insult to their intelligence, both for its itrrational and ad-hominem tone, and for the basic spirit out of which it comes.

Criticism, debate, and even protest are fine, and great American ideals. but remeber King's idea babout non-violent protest. Words can nowadays be used just as viciously as fire hoses and German Shepherds, and lots of folks (like Drew-boy) do not seem to care a bit.

Why is that? Because American public discourse has fallen on very hard times.

It is not about censoring the guy, it is about vilifying him and turning off the radio.

Are you questioning the level of education I have attained?

I said, I can't stand Slaten. I think him to be a simple-minded, right-wing biggot. However, if SLU has such a problem with what he is saying then instead of going behind the scenes and demanding that 590 take action against him, someone representing the University and or the program should have set-up an interview with Rammer or Frank to dispute Slaten's statements on the air. Frank and Bob would be more than happy to ask them guided questions so that Slaten's erroneous statements could be refuted.

By the way, you know what I do to show my displeasure in Slaten? I listen to 1380 on the way home. There's a novel idea.

I mean they fired Pizzotti for the same reason everbody wants brad fires. JP did not win her 1st year with CL and she got canned but Brad does the same thing that year and does not get canned and it has been 2 years and he has done nothing. 6 years and 2 NITs, while JPizzi had 0 years with 1 WNIT

>I mean they fired Pizzotti for the same reason everbody

>wants brad fires. JP did not win her 1st year with CL and

>she got canned but Brad does the same thing that year and

>does not get canned and it has been 2 years and he has done

>nothing. 6 years and 2 NITs, while JPizzi had 0 years with 1

>WNIT

No, Pizzotti was fired for ten seasons of futility. Soderberg is in his 5th season as a head coach.

The non-revenue sports(anything but men's basketball) do not matter anywhere near as much at SLU. But at least the new AD wnts to be competitive in all sports, a refreshing change. 10 completed years does not compare to four completed years.

I would expect the baseball coach to be not too far behind seeing the door. A middling team with weakest schedule he has ever had, saved his position for now by winning conference tourney. 18 years at SLU. But baseball isn't getting a facility upgrade to my knowledge, and it is down on the pecking order. The womens basketball team will be playing in a new Arena soon.

somebody said they disagreed with my ideas about the fall of American public discourse. They think it is now better than ever.

That is ridiculous. I wish I had the time to sit down and explain all the reasons why. Or to give you a brief history of American public dialogue, which is by almost all accounts at an all-time low.

It is also pretty silly to complain in one sentence about a local radio personality as a bigot and other names, and then to say how strong our public discourse is at present.

they also said I called them names. Hardly -- I just pointed out how weak those arguments are. And I said what most educated people think about your views. O well. I was not saying anything about anyone's educational level. Then, after saying what a bad person I was for calling you names, you went on to call me an a-hole. Funny double standards at work, as usual.

ps -- there are lots of folks with bachelors degrees these days who in my opinion are not very well educated. There are even leaders in my government, and all over our society, who are not particularly well educated. I could point you to all kinds of polling data on that one, but for starters just take a look at Jaywalking on the tonight show some night, or else go see Borat and tell me what you think of those frat boys on the RV. Probably all have 3.5 GPA's.

We sure talk a lot about education but obviously our culture does not really value it very much. To be honest, this board illustrates that very much. Winning basketball games is the end all and be-all of SLU basketball for most guys on here. But in a Jesuit education philosophy, athletics are just an end to a means. What is the goal?? Check out the mission statement on the web and tell me how basketball should fit into it. It is certainly more than wins and losses--I hope.

Sorry to bore you all with more of my elitist, arrogant postings. And sorry to hurt your tender sensibilities by asking for actual logic and thought when you present your quasi-arguments to this public board.

So as not to let someone else catch the brunt of your arrogant post, I'm the one that asked why you were a condescending Richard. Also, i disagreed with the fall of American public discourse. I didn't say it was better now than ever, but that an argument could be made that it is as strong as ever. It's not ridiculous to believe in such an argument either. You have your beliefs as to why it is at an all-time low and i have mine which lead me to believe that it is not at an all-time low. Is either correct? I doubt it. Good luck proving that one buddy.

"It is also pretty silly to complain in one sentence about a local radio personality as a bigot and other names, and then to say how strong our public discourse is at present."

I talked about the strong public discourse; Drew talked about the radio personality. Yes, when you conflate the 2, it seems pretty silly. Perhaps keeping them apart would help. At least you are consistent, you talk about how low public discourse is and then support it.

"they also said I called them names."

Don't remember saying that, but i'm not denying i said either.

I didn't post anything with respect to the rest of your post.

Doc, i often learn from your posts and i think you make good points and strong arguments. I just don't see why you have to be a jerk in the process.

"And sorry to hurt your tender sensibilities by asking for actual logic and thought when you present your quasi-arguments to this public board."

You don't hurt my tender sensibilities by asking for actual logic, etc. I question why you have to be a jerk to get your point across. 2 different things.

powerful stuff. I am speechless, and cut to the quick, by your many fine points, both of you.

I think sometimes people just do not like going very deep with any of this stuff. So let's just call it "pompous bs," which is much easier than trying to think about it, or defend any positions. Or parrot some idiotic cliche that supposedly is relevent to something, like "Those who can do, those who can not teach," which I suppose is aimed my way (And by the way, if trying to shut me up with that preposterous cliche is not "pompous" I guess I just do not know what the word means).

Please tell me what it is you "can do," and what it is I cannot do. Just curious. You guys sound like real "doers" to me, that's for sure. I am sure your credentials are impeccable.

I now respectfully bow out of this underwhelmingly facile conversation.

I am not the ass coming on the board with the attitude that I am better than everyone else. That is you sir.

The reason why public discourse today is better than it ever has been is that everyone has a chance to be heard. We have a free market of ideas. Over the long term, the best ones win out.

The reason people like you have a problem with it is cause people like you no longer have control over the debate and no longer have the control over the flow of ideas. Your position is less powerful and not as important. That just has to kill you inside.

Why don't you drop the DoctorB tag? You always know you are dealing with a pompous ass when they want to be called doctor just because they have earned a Doctorate. I have news for you real doctors have a MD.