Recruiting and Schollies?

cheeseman

All this recruiting talk has caused me to think. By my count - correct me if I am wrong - we have 11 players on schollies right now: TL, KL, DP, LM,IV, BH, DB, WB, JJ, AK, and DM and OI is a maybe. We are allowed 13 - correct - so that means that we have 4 schollies open this year if Obi does not show up - the two open and IV and JJ. If Brad gives 4 away this spring then we have DB, WB, DP, LM, and BH to give away this fall - that is 5 more. Does 9 schollies in 2 years seem like a lot? Brad really does have to get some Jucos or else we will find ourselves awfully imbalanced as a team. How would you think he should break the offers this spring and fall down by position.

you had me confused for a minute--I thought that Reggie had come back! Just kidding! I assume you meant Bennett.

In terms of positions, I would look to recruit a big man who could contribute right away, two forwards who can rebound, defend and score and a good quality point guard. I you could do that then you will have a nice team. Let's hope that Brad can pull it off!

We need 2 bigs who can play right away.

With 4 to give and Obi is back. In order of priority imo

1. A big who can start immediately

2. A big who can start immediately

3. A point guard

4. A 2-3 combo guard with size.

I'm ok with our back court. I'd like to have a pg. But I see our inside game as a huge hole to fill. Coming into this year, I thought Bh would get 10 minutes a game and 20-25 his Sr year. With his lack of playing time this year. I don't think we can count on him for anything next year. I don't agree with it, but I'm not at practice everyday and it looks like thats the way it is. That leaves us with AK inside. I'm not counting on Obi either. I also don't want Luke there again. We need 2 bigs which will give us 3 guys to split 80 minutes.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

I forgot about WB's schollie so that would mean that there is 10 schollies to give - 4 this spring and 6 next fall. I would think we would want at least 2 #4s and a center - if not then 3 #4s. I think we need another shooter - if he can be a pg then fine but if not we can get by next year with what we have. For the fall - we need 2 guards, 2 forwards depending on if the forwards we got in the spring are Juccos, 2 shooters - I don't care if they are 2s or 3s.

In the spring, a real PG, 2 PF's one w/ some hgt say 6'9", another perimeter shooter. 2 will be JUCO's...any two. Then from the '08 area class he lands Kramer, a given, one of the athletic 6'6" sg's, and Brandenberg. They all ink the deal next fall. If he pulls this off, I promise not to seek his resignation until at least 2011. By that time, he'll have put us in 4 straight dances with one year being a surprise run to the elite eight. He is the offered the HC's job at Wisconsin, Stanford, and Wake Forest. He decides on Stanford. But he leaves us an excellent AC who continues SLU's tradition of becoming the Gonzaga of the midwest. In fact, Zaga's coach will be quoted as saying he wants to make the Zags the SLU of the west. Hey, a guy can dream can't he?

WB as a senior just means that we have 5 this year and 4 the next, not 4 this year and 5 the next.

Another way to think about it is that assuming Obi is gone we only have 2 freshmen (DM and AK) and 2 Sophomores (KL and TL) and the other 9 all need to be replaced in the next year and a half.

Brad has got a LOT of work cut out for him not just filling spots but filling the spots with talented players.

.. year after year after year after year after .. well, you get the picture. It seems that most agree that we need two bigs taht can come in and play right away. Now here's the $64 million question: based on history to date, what make's you think we could ever get one of those kids, let alone two? In a spring class, no less.