OT: Fox Sports 1 still w/o 3 major distributors

Walking Dead.

Problem is that I'm caught up with those shows and would have to wait a year for them to become available via Netflix. Part of my enjoyment with shows like that are watching and then talking about them with friends, co-workers, and/or listening to Grantland-type podcasts that discuss them a few days later.

Hell, with the walking dead you don't even need to wait for a later podcast as the "talking dead" starts right after the episode. Freaky to watch a discussion show, about the show, as long as the show, right after the show......

I've been looking into reducing my $170 cable bill while still getting most of my favorites and access to as many Bills games as last year. Alas, I think they've got us by the short hairs unless you want to wait a while for your favorite cable series, which are some of the best shows on TV these days. One would think there's some brilliant entrepreneur out there who could put together a cable firm that would offer an ala carte menu. We're paying for so many garbage channels is what's making it so expensive. I probably have 15 channels that take up 99% of my viewing time, but to get them I have to pay for access to over 300. I don't see where Netflix or Hulu is the answer unless you're very patient.

I've been looking into reducing my $170 cable bill while still getting most of my favorites and access to as many Bills games as last year. Alas, I think they've got us by the short hairs unless you want to wait a while for your favorite cable series, which are some of the best shows on TV these days. One would think there's some brilliant entrepreneur out there who could put together a cable firm that would offer an ala carte menu. We're paying for so many garbage channels is what's making it so expensive. I probably have 15 channels that take up 99% of my viewing time, but to get them I have to pay for access to over 300. I don't see where Netflix or Hulu is the answer unless you're very patient.

Larry,

How many shopping and religious channels does that include? :rolleyes: I agree.

I am sure you have tried shopping around but I just switched to ATT Uverse and cut my bill by about $30 per month.

Call and renegotiate. I spent about 20 minutes on the phone yesterday and saved myself $55 a month between my TV and cell phone bills. Just for asking! Straight out bill credits, no reduction in services.

Some brilliant entrepreneur ? Sounds like a job for the firm of Boxbizzle to me.

It's the content providers that force the issue. Disney says you want espn then you have to take these channels also. The satillite providers have shown more backbone than the wire guys but not much.

To be a contrarian, I have U verse 200, and get the St. Louis Post Dispatch and the St. Louis magazine. I basically use none of these unless my children are visiting. I do watch the Bills away games, have season tickets for the home games, and I also watch a few other events like the supebowl, the world series, and the olympics. Sometimes I watch something else in the TV but it is rare. In my house the TV is a piece of furniture that collects dust mostly, although I pay for the service just in case. I use the net but never got into getting media programming through it.

• 4 weeks later...

And to bring this thread back to it's original point...from today's Sports Business Daily:

• DirecTV, TWC, Bright House Networks Near Deals For Fox Sports 1 By John Ourand, Staff Writer

DirecTV, Time Warner Cable and Bright House Networks are likely to carry Fox Sports 1 at its launch on Saturday, according to sources with direct knowledge of the deals. The three distributors still have not signed deals to carry the channel, but the sources expect all three providers to have it available on Saturday.

Dish Network did not respond to e-mail requests for comment. But sources said they expected Dish to carry the channel, as well. The L.A. Times is reporting that Dish Network has agreed to carry FS1 at launch. Fox Sports execs have said that they expect FS1 to launch in 90 million homes. These deals are certain to get the channel to that number.