lisch to be on sportsplus sunday night

per frank today on his radio show, kevin will be featured on sports plus this sunday night to discuss his career and his recruitment by slu.

Very nice feature at the end of Channel 5 sports, although perhaps a tad counterproductive from our standpoint, since Frank pointed out that Lisch isn't on the radar screen of some bigger programs. (I think he said he doesn't play AAU ball -- is this true, Roy?)

Anyway, they showed a collage of literature he'd received from about 15 programs, with our beloved Billiken folder right across the top.

the eagles begged him to play. his dad, who hates aau ball, said it was up to kevin, but didnt encourage it. althoff plays together most of the summer, plus kevin traveled to a number of camps across the summer, including the nike jamboree camp, so they felt the crazy travel of aau ball was not prudent. so kevin decided he would not play. whether he will or not this coming summer is unknown. my guess is he will not.

Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't listening closely enough to hear what Frank said exactly, and I didn't want to misquote him.

That said, I believe Frank said that because Lisch spends summers in the gym practicing and not with an AAU team, he hasn't drawn the same attention as other players.

We can only hope, then, that our existing relationship with him will trump any last-minute pushes by the so-called "major" schools.

if bonwich said the spot was on tv last night, then i would doubt it would be on sunday again. too bad. i would have liked to have seen it.

Channel 5 will often do repeats of "short story segments" they do during the week on Sports Plus. Often the orignal spot on a Wed night will only be 2 minutes long but the Sports Plus one will be 5 minutes. It is very possible this is what the Lisch story will be.

tonka said, "What are Lisch's stats? I don't know if anyone has ever said. Height? Weight? Muscular build? Quick? Jumper?"

imo he is a legit 6'2". he weighs about 190 lbs. he is very well defined muscle wise. while he is athletic, i dont see him winning a 40 yard dash or breaking a high jump record. i would say he is easily as quick as drejaj and can get his hand above the rim, but i have never seen him dunk in a game.

kevin is about intangibles as much as anything. he has a claggett like quick release, and extremely good ball handling and passing skills. he has fantastic floor vision, superior court sense and confidence. he makes steals that after the play is over and you realize where he came from to make the play you wonder how that was possible. and of course the number one attribute that is always hardest to judge but probably the most important is heart. he just seems to will himself to succeed and never plays less than all out. the one thing you wont see with kevin lisch is flash. he is not about highlight film plays, he is about results. but after it is over, and you are talking about the game you just watched, you will realize that just about everything that happened of consequence involved kevin and he was rock solid.

Roy, would you say he is a Travis Diener?

What is his ranking in the various polls, hopefully not high?

Any chance he's going to go on TV and say "I will sign with the St.Louis University Billikens and am looking forward to playing four years under Coach Brad Sodeberg?"

Who else is he showing interest in? I'm scared about that ND connection. Once a domer always a domer.

imo he is physically stronger than diener right now. i also believe because of that strength, he can score going to basket more than diener. however, he is not as much of a point guard, or at least hasnt shown that, as diener might be. he isnt asked to be a distributor much in high school. that said, i have seen him make some nice passes. overall, i would take him before diener.

During his show this morning, Frank Cusumano said that one of the things that's important to Rusty Lisch (Kevin's dad) is that he wants his son to go to a school whose coach played the same position as Kevin. Frank said the elder Lisch really likes Brad Soderberg. Do the Lisches consider Kevin primarily a point guard, since that's the position Brad played at Wisconsin-Steven Point?

we're talking about belleville not centralia.

btw, painter had his chance. there was a private workout scheduled this summer that painter, and a few other area coaches were invited to. they all assured coach lieb they would be there and if something did come up an assistant would be there. when the workout started, coach soderberg watched kevin in a 3 on 3 game by himself.

i do not. i have nothing to base that on other than the fact he hasnt already. thus i believe they will give other schools a chance to make their pitch. i have not talked to anyone first hand about that though. i do know that kevin vehemently defends slu to other students during casual conversation these days.

it isnt about watching the workout. it is about presenting himself to kevin, his family and coach lieb. i dont think that was a good first impression.