Relphorde

I am glad to finally get a commitment, but is this kid a legitimate recruit? I ask because last week I posted about him and asking if anyone knew anything about his game and received no real responses other than people chiming in on the excitement that there is a school called Boyz to Men Academy and one poster thinking he was Travis Relaford from the KC area. Now everyone is annointing Brad and the staff saints because they received a commitment from this kid. I recall the same excitement last year when Horace signed. It seems like anytime we sign anyone this board becomes ecstatic. I know nothing about this kid and thats why I was asking last week so I am not implying he is not a player, I just would like to hear from people who have seen him play. I did see him Saturday evening and he has a very solid build and at least looks the part.

I dont know much about him but that school Boys II Men website is really wierd. They have a direct link from the main page to the basketball teams roster and schedual and team photo it seems like thats the only sport they play. IDK it really wierded me out

Posted Image

Posted Image

"I was on fire, I was hotter than a pistol" Jason McElwaine

If theres no SLU basketball in heaven I'm not going!!!!!!

Official Billikens.com Sponsor of Chris Sloan and Billiken Volleyball

and Official Billiken.com Online Video Guy

>I am glad to finally get a commitment, but is this kid a

>legitimate recruit? I ask because last week I posted about

>him and asking if anyone knew anything about his game and

>received no real responses other than people chiming in on

>the excitement that there is a school called Boyz to Men

>Academy and one poster thinking he was Travis Relaford from

>the KC area. Now everyone is annointing Brad and the staff

>saints because they received a commitment from this kid. I

>recall the same excitement last year when Horace signed. It

>seems like anytime we sign anyone this board becomes

>ecstatic. I know nothing about this kid and thats why I was

>asking last week so I am not implying he is not a player, I

>just would like to hear from people who have seen him play.

>I did see him Saturday evening and he has a very solid build

>and at least looks the part.

If people are very patient with him. He will not....repeat he will not come in and duplicate the frosh year of TL and KL or come close. And you remember, those two started from the beginning....and struggled a lot for half of a season....this kid will not even be that. So now that we have that out of the way....he will likley get some immediate minutes because SLU is desperate for bodies. I would expect the 10 minutes his frosh year to adjust to the college game, make small contributions...it may even take him a couple of seasons of that....but I think he can and will be a solid contributor his last two seasons. He's overshadowed by highly talented teammates...and has played his way into some offers.

I was told that it's not even a recognized school anymore by the state of Illinois. The state found out it was merely a basketball training ground that had little to no emphasis on school and they immediately took away their affiliation to the state. It's a similar situation as what Oak Hill and Decatur Christian are in. They basically just tour around and play exhibition games.

I think the fact that he is 6'7'' and apparently can play the 1,2, and 3 on offense is something that we do not currently have on this team, also it (being the article) mentioned that he could guard the 4 on defense. It has also been said that he has some good athleticism, something else this team could use. All in all it sounds like a nice start to our '07-'08 class.

Understand the let's not get carried away mood about a UB recruit. The thing that stands out about this kid though is he apparenlty had interest from some other places....which was not the case with UB's last 4 or 5 recruits. I'm just trying to be positive here.

Last night he answered a question I had asked about Marcus. His current coach say he is averaging 13 points a game, around 4-5 Rbnd per game. He says he is not quick enough to gaurd opposing point gaurd and thus will not play the 1 at the next level.

It seems to me he has an excellent chance of stepping in and spelling Meyer for a year, then taking over at the 3 for KL's and hopefully TL's senior year. We still need the impact 4.

Watched a little of ESPN's high school game between St.Pat's of NJ and OJ Mayo's Huntington WV game last night. Huntington had a big inside kid, 6'7" or 8", name of Patrick I think. Already built like Bogans of Ok State. That's what we need to get, but doesn't everyone? By the way Mayo's 3 shot is a thing of beauty. The 4 or 5 I saw him make went though the net like a laser bomb. The net never moved and they were from NBA range. He's one and done at USC.

The NCAA is cracking down on these pseudo-academic basketball "schools." There's a number of very small, usually religious-affiliated schools like this that are essentially shells to give basketball players diplomas. I sure hope his diploma is legit, because the NCAA could shut nullify any diplomas from there eventually.

But I know he's been to a number of legit high schools, too- and pulled his weight in the classroom from what the articles are saying.

This kid has some skills from what others have posted previously to this thread. Contrary to what FGWL said there was some info posted about him. At this point if anybody thought we are going to get TL and KL type impact players in the spring they are kidding themselves. What we can get is as Courtside said - decent players who can play some next year but will provide us with good minutes/play in the future. If Brad can get 3 more players of this caliber - with a couple being 4s then we will be fine for next year. You have to assume that Adam and Dustin will get some playing time and Bryce will provide some decent minutes - maybe not a scoring machine but some defense and rebounding. We still have Luke, DP and Danny to compliment Tommie and Kevin. At this point the only real player that will be missing is Ian and given how things have gone this year with him he is not irreplaceable. I know JJ will be gone but really what he provides - while not to be forgotten - can be replaced fairly easily. If Brad can come up with 3 more signings that fill our needs and can give us 10 minutes a game each then we will be in decent shape for next year - will it be a conf champ team - probably not but could be good enough to make the NCAA if things fall right.

"You have to assume that Adam and Dustin will get some playing time and Bryce will provide some decent minutes - maybe not a scoring machine but some defense and rebounding. We still have Luke, DP and Danny to compliment Tommie and Kevin. At this point the only real player that will be missing is Ian and given how things have gone this year with him he is not irreplaceable. I know JJ will be gone but really what he provides - while not to be forgotten - can be replaced fairly easily. If Brad can come up with 3 more signings that fill our needs and can give us 10 minutes a game each then we will be in decent shape for next year"

We're going to have 12 guys on scholarship. There's no such thing as a college team averaging under 100 ppg playing a twelve man rotation so at least two of them are not going to play -- that's just reality. The question is will it be two of the guys already on the roster, two of the new guys, or a combination thereof? As always, the answer will be settled in practice.

What am I saying- he's not at Boyz II Men anymore. Forget my earlier post. Anyway, American Christian is a legitimate school, so no worries about the diploma. I think this will be a good signing.

Box had this in one of his posts in an earlier thread.

"Relphorde also has offers from St. John's, LaSalle, Fordham, St. Joseph and Temple. His progress is being tracked by a number of other schools including Wisconsin and North Carolina State. Relphorde would probably be even hotter had an ankle injury not cut short his season on the summer basketball circuit."

It is from an earlier article from the chicago hoops site that first annouced his verbal with us.

Both play SF/PF. Both are top 150 guys and both have either expressed interest in coming here and/or have been hotly pursued by Coach. They could definitely have an impact next year, so to say there are no impact players left isn't entirely accurate. If Brad could find a way to close the deal with these guys we would be in good shape.

As it stands right now, we still have too many needs to really think next year's team will be any better than this year's team.

We 'hope' it will be a good signing. From what I have read about this kid, he has the height and runs the court well. I just haven't read much about his shooting. Will he be a slasher? Maybe a better version of Danny Brown? Who knows? He has definitely been around quality talent the last few years. Remember, there was plenty of hype the last two years in regards to Obi and Horace so time will tell. Let's not get too carried away here. It was a good start to the signing period but we all know BS needs a 4 and some other 'quality' players before the verdict is out regarding his recruiting ability.

I do like the fact that other schools seemed interested in this kid. However, the sources are always suspect as to their accuracy.

I would say there wasn't that much hype about Obi & Horace. They were both seen as projects coming in and no one should have expected much in contributions right away with Obi rehabbing for his knee injury & Dixon being such a late signing and limited offensive ability.

As for Relphorde, I hope he is a contributor next year, maybe around 10 min per game. I am happy because this is a player Brad & staff identified and recruited and landed, not a last minute fill in like Dixon, Brown & Husak among other spring recruits. I think this adds to our depth, but I still think we need at least 1 JUCO post player to sign for next year.

With Relphorde though, I see a lot more potential just based on how he is physically. He's 6-7 with a well-built frame, not like anyone on our current roster. We either have the guard-types or the very long big men. He just has a powerful build and looks more athletic than a lot of our recent signings. I think the potential is really there with him, more so than with Horace, Obi, AK, or DM. At this point, I like the signing and think it makes a lot of sense.