CBI Fees

It has been reported that hosting a CBI game required a $60,000 commitment. Tonight's attendance was 3542.

Does anyone know if for the second game, it requires another $60,000 to assure a home game next week? Or is it just done by seed here on out?

It has been reported that hosting a CBI game required a $60,000 commitment. Tonight's attendance was 3542.

Does anyone know if for the second game, it requires another $60,000 to assure a home game next week? Or is it just done by seed here on out?

If thats true, tonight was a big money looser. Maybe they'll take away another charter next year to make up for it.

If thats true, tonight was a big money looser. Maybe they'll take away another charter next year to make up for it.

See if 'THE DUDE' will give SLU a loan. Hell, just tell him to donate it..he probably makes that much in a week. NCAA or bust next year. You and the dude are in and we are renting that VW van for the road trip.

it is no different than the non conference buy games in november and december except the price per game is less, the opponents are better and we are now slotted for a preseason 2012 bit time tourney.

if we would be playing road games and not getting the 2012 tourney out of it i would say that is a waste of time and money. this is a great investment in the program with our players all being so young.

Not a big loser. Say $45,000 for attendance; $5,000 for parking; $5K net in concessions. Lost $10 to $15k after expenses. Assume that CBI picks up IS travel expenses.

Note that SLU/Chaifetz do not pick up all the concession's revenue the bulk of it goes to Ovations.

it is no different than the non conference buy games in november and december except the price per game is less, the opponents are better and we are now slotted for a preseason 2012 bit time tourney.

if we would be playing road games and not getting the 2012 tourney out of it i would say that is a waste of time and money. this is a great investment in the program with our players all being so young.

Agreed, roy. I think it's a great investment.

Fyi, anyone else think that CE's short acclimation time is catching up with him? He's a helluva player, but I think the whirlwind January has caught up to him.

Fyi, anyone else think that CE's short acclimation time is catching up with him? He's a helluva player, but I think the whirlwind January has caught up to him.

He certainly seems to be short on a lot of his jumpers lately.

Porter mentioned that in the post game interview after Rhode Island. He said in the 3 practices prior to that game he was missing more shots then usual. He said it was due to fatigue and that his legs were shot toward the end of the year.

Porter mentioned that in the post game interview after Rhode Island. He said in the 3 practices prior to that game he was missing more shots then usual. He said it was due to fatigue and that his legs were shot toward the end of the year.

Man, can't wait until we have Cody after a full offseason and preseason.

Here is the skinny and I got it from a very reliable source. If you host one or up to 5 games in the CBI you have to give them a $60K assurance total. Last night we sold 2500 tix so we are in the hole and the next game will probably break us even but we have to pay for operating the parking garage and the concession stands but the AD does not get any of the revenue from those. So basically, we need three games to make any money.

This comes from the write up on Akron:

Home games in the CBI come with a $60,000 guarantee to be paid to The Gazelle Group that runs the event. It is not an upfront fee; it comes after revenue such as ticket sales have been determined.

However, Gazelle often waives that amount for teams that agree to play for a lesser fee in their future in-season tournaments, such as the Coaches Vs. Cancer Classic, Legends Classic and College Basketball Experience.

Gazelle generally pays schools about $60,000 to play in the in-season tournaments but will pay UA much less than that in 2011-12 in exchange for waiving most of the guarantee for the home game tonight.

''We essentially entered into two contracts with Akron. One for the CBI and one for one of our future fall events,'' said Gazelle president Rick Giles by telephone from the organization's headquarters in Princeton, N.J. ''It's not unusual for us to do that with teams. It works well for them in terms of the financial picture as well as the competitive picture.''

Giles said UA will pay nothing out-of-pocket. Gazelle will receive a portion of tonight's gate and other revenues, and that a similar amount will be paid to UA in two years in the future tournament, he said.

''What we have done in many situations, including this one, is to say, 'You can write off against the net cost what we will pay you in a future event,' '' Giles said. ''Basically, what we ensure for the university is to do no worse than break even. They won't lose a penny on the CBI.''

Good news for the SLU Athletic Department.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Kevin Shortal

''What we have done in many situations, including this one, is to say, 'You can write off against the net cost what we will pay you in a future event,' '' Giles said. ''Basically, what we ensure for the university is to do no worse than break even. They won't lose a penny on the CBI.''

Good news for the SLU Athletic Department.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Kevin Shortal

;)