Nice job by the Post

brianstl

Fourth loss in a row is painful for Pacific

Guard's 18-point first half wasted as Billikens rally

By Jason Anderson

December 13, 2006

Record Staff Writer

STOCKTON - Sophomore point guard Steffan Johnson grimaced with every step after hurting his back early in the second half, and by the end of the night, most of his teammates shared the same pained expression.

Johnson scored more points in the first half than his team scored in the second, and Pacific suffered its fourth consecutive loss, falling 67-60 to Saint Louis before a crowd of 3,162 at Spanos Center.

Senior center Ian Vouyoukas had 17 points and 11 rebounds for the Billikens (7-2), who outrebounded Pacific 36-23, with a 22-11 advantage in the second half. Johnson scored 18 points in the opening half to stake his team to an 11-point lead, but the Tigers (3-7) lost for the fifth time in six games after scoring 16 points on 20 percent shooting in the second half.

"It was like we were a different team in the second half," Johnson said, his voice barely rising above a whisper as he lay face down on a training table with large bags of ice and little electrodes on his lower back. "It hurts to lose, but this is another learning experience for us."

Johnson was sensational in the first half, scoring Pacific's first 13 points over a span of 5 minutes, 24 seconds. He made a jumper in the lane, a 3-pointer from the corner and another from the left wing. He drove by his defender at the top of the key for one layup and attacked the basket from the baseline for another.

"Wow," Saint Louis coach Brad Soderberg said. "The kid we had guarding him (Dwayne Polk) has locked up some really good players, but I was like, 'Oh, my gosh, we're in trouble.' "

Johnson finished the half with 18 points, three assists and one turnover, making 7 of 7 from the field and 3 of 3 from 3-point range.

"It was almost a perfect first half," Pacific coach Bob Thomason said.

The Tigers led 44-33 after registering 13 assists and one turnover, but they unraveled after intermission. Johnson was injured with approximately 14 minutes to play, and the Tigers were outscored 14-3 over a span of 9:15.

"I jumped up for a rebound and felt something pop in my lower back," Johnson said. "It caused a lot of pain, and every step I took, I could feel it."

Johnson returned after leaving the floor with trainer Chris Pond, but he never regained his first-half form.

"He was always limping, and you could see how tentative he was," Thomason said. "Chris worked with him and got him back in there, but he was never the same."

I think it's hard to do much in depth game reporting when you're sitting in your bed room watching from 2,000 miles away a distorted web cast on the company provided $179 six year old lap top. Pretty much got to stick to the numbers/stats at that point. Of course, he must have UB's cell #, an over the phone quote would have been icing on the cake. Pitiful...just pitiful.

i am pretty sure there was a select 8th grade soccer tourney at the big indoor facility in north st louis. tommy timmy was probably needed there.

I went to the link but there was nothing about the Bills that I saw. I wondered if Earl had not written something for them and wondered why the Post does not simply contract with the American to get an occasional article from Earl now and then - maybe that can not happen for some legal reasons.

What does Timmerman cover besides the Bills? If he is the "beat" writer and he's not covering their games, I assume he has other responsibilities. What the hell does a writer do if he's not writing in order to justify a paycheck? I'm not trying to be a smartass. I would sincerely like to know. From this angle, it looks like law school over journalism school was a huge mistake.

I don't know why I'm even bothering because we've beaten this dead horse so many times. Our coverage by the post has always been bad but this year has been terrible. Since Friday there has been 4 Missouri stories and one Billiken article. The Post editors feel we are irrelevant. Tommie Timm.seems like a nice guy who gets pushed to the background. Unfortunately the only way their perception is going to change is to WIN,and to WIN big. Thank God there is a good food writer or I would cancel my subscription.

i write to tommy timmy and larry starks all the time. i dont think they like my input. i guess i will add this e-mail addy to future feedback.

I told them why. Sorry Joe, but complainig just doesn't get the message across. It is sad when every study in the world tells newspapers to stay relevent they need to go super local they see no reason to send the beat writer out to cover the game.

That with the arrogance of BM to the whole Billiken fan base did it for me. It is BM's job to stir the pot to sell newspapers, drive web traffic, and increase his radio audience, but his continued shots at the Billiken fan base are uncalled for. I will no longer contribute to help pay his salary. Somebody needs to tell him that his big fat ass looks completly moronic in the too small throw backs he wears.

willie said,

"Tommie Timm.seems like a nice guy who gets pushed to the background."

i get the impression that tommie timmie doesnt fight for space much. and those of you that want to defend him, tell me the last time he broke some billiken news of matter? imo, he doesnt want the job. it was a take it or nothing assignment. and if that is wrong, what does he do to impress the billiken fandom with passion?

when stu came, i wasnt thrilled with the assignment. in fact i will never forget that billiken club meeting where stu wanted make very clear he wasnt a fan. talk about a chill factor.

however very quickly it became apparent that stu loved college basketball and whether he wanted to admit it or not, seemed to be a fan. his reports seemed to envelope the feelings and emotions of a typical billikan fan imo and i have never gotten that feeling with the billiken articles since.

i indeed sent a short note to Kevin Mowbray expressing my thoughts on starks and tommy timmie's obvious disregard and lack of concern for covering the only d-1 team in town and he responded within an hour and said it is going to be discussed as he has rec'd a couple of other notes expressing similar points of view.

i guess more need to test the new sheriff as bonwich said.

earlier today and i know Willie did too. It really is a joke whats become of our "coverage" in that paper.

I would suggest all true fans of this program take 5 minutes, write a polite yet firm e-mail to this guy and maybe our voices will be heard.

i'm fairly certain for every 1 of us that are voicing our compliants on this board there are another 20 that picked up today's paper and cussed under their breath about what a crappy article that was.