LOCAL RANKINGS

Billiphan

I thought it would be interesting to see how the posters on the board ranked the local teams on their play thusfar this season.

How would you slot these teams? My rankings follow.

1. SIU

2. ILLINOIS

3. MO ST

4. MIZZOU

5. SLU

Now this is early and I think we all hope that this ranking would change. I based my vote on current poll numbers, schedule, expectations, etc. I don't think there was one factor that I looked at over the rest. Just my two cents for today December 8, 2006.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At this point I think you would have to go with Mizzou at number 1. They are undefeated and unchallenged to this point. Are they the real deal? That is something that I can't answer and we will find out in due time, but at this point they have to be the top team in the area. They have not played a tough schedule and have been doing this all from the comforts of home, but the fact of the matter is they have been soundly beating teams and looked extremely impressive in their win against Arkansas. At this point I would have to go:

1. Mizzou

2. Missouri State

3. Southern Illinois

4. Illinois

5. Saint Louis

Careful, you will be banned on this board if you are too positive towards the state university to the west.

I think Purdue on Saturday will be an interesting gut-check to see where this Missouri team is, then Illinois on 12/19.

I'd love to see wins, but I'm most interested in how they play those games.

I think you have to give credit for teams that play on the road, so I would downgrade Mizzou for that reason. I think the Illini have fallen off from the recent past, but I agree with you that the Illini and SIU are the best teams in the area. Here are my rankings:

1. Illinois

2. SIU

3. MO State (But that changes when SLU beats them next week)

4. Mizzou

5. SLU

I think it's deceiving to rank SLU fifth, though. I happen to think regional basketball here is having one of its better years in recent memory. There is a possibility that all 5 teams could go to the NCAA. When has that happened before?

I generally beleive that Missouri may be the best team and witout question the best coached amoung the five team poll. But I have a hard time putting them first when they haven't really played an away game. I do think they will beat Illinois in the Braggin Rights game and that will be good for the series. The last couple of years you already knew which team was going to win the game before it was even played. The real question was...by how much. Base upon everyones schedule and their respective wins and loses I would probably rank the teams as follows:

1. SIU

2. Missouri

3. Missouri State

4. Illinois

5. SLU (if we could have picked-up a win against TX AM or SIU our rank would be higher).

One last item of news since it was a topic of conversation recently but Gary Parish of CBS Sportsline projects the A10 will be a one bid league. Now that might be to conservative but three may be too many to ask Santa for. Parish's comments were as follows:

Projected champ: Xavier

At-large: None

Bubble: Massachusetts, Saint Louis, George Washington

Xavier is the team to beat, but UMass and its transfers are good enough to challenge the Musketeers.

I question Illinois being number one because on a neutral court in Chicago they barely beat 3-6 Miami of Ohio (51-49) and Bradley almost beat them at their place. I know a win is a win is a win but clearly they are not as good as they were the last couple of years. The only thing that would allow them to keep the top spot is Webber. He is really a good coach and will always keep them in every game.

ranking these 5 teams based solely on their records is not accurate. while i agree that mi$$ouri and illinois have both exceeded what i expected this year (especially illinois with randle out) i dont think either one would beat missouri state, siu or slu.

my head says:

1. siu

2. slu

3. missouri state

4. illinois

5. mi$$ouri

my heart says:

1. slu

2. siu

3. missouri state

4. illinois

5. mi$$ouri

agree with roy here. Mizzou has done nothing to say they're a good team by just beating bad teams at home. To this point they've really on had one good win - Arkansas. Win a game on the road and then you can move up. I'll go with Roy'S rankings:

>ranking these 5 teams based solely on their records is not

>accurate. while i agree that mi$$ouri and illinois have

>both exceeded what i expected this year (especially illinois

>with randle out) i dont think either one would beat missouri

>state, siu or slu.

>

>my head says:

>

>1. siu

>2. slu

>3. missouri state

>4. illinois

>5. mi$$ouri

>

>my heart says:

>

>1. slu

>2. siu

>3. missouri state

>4. illinois

>5. mi$$ouri

Roy,

At this point how can you have SLU ahead of MO ST? I can maybe see you having SLU ahead of MIZZOU just because they were so bad last year and no one is for sure how real they are but MO ST has a signature win over a good Wisconsin club and a tough loss to a good Ok St club. I hope SLU takes them on the court but at this point SLU hasn't done a whole lot to impress me yet. You?

phan, i think that by march, we shall see that houston and loyola were indeed good wins. we will see that a&m is one of the best teams in the country and siu is one of the top 2 teams in the mvc.

as to missouri state, great win vs wisconsin. that is why they are ahead of illinois and mi$$ouri. i guess after the 18th, we shall know as imo that is the state championship game.

If it was on a neutral court, I could buy that. However, this is a home game for SLU. If SLU blows out MO State by double digits, then I would agree that SLU is superior. However if it's a tight win for SLU, I think we can attribute that to the home court advantage.

That's really the main reason why I think SLU will win the game. If it was in Springfield, it'd be a different story.

Illinois has actually had their starting SG and starting SF both out with injuries(Smith with a high ankle sprain and Randle with a hernia surgery.) Smith made it for the Bradley game, where he scored 14 in 15 minutes before limping off again, and their last game where he went 5/5 from 3 pt. land.

Right now the teams are all doing as expected, with SIUC playing a game or two better than expected, and Mizzou really enjoying Anderson's 25 minutes of hell style. Things will change when the meat of the schedule arrives, as I expect Mizzou to eventually swoon to just above the middle of the pack in the B12. Still a much better team tham Q's tenure, and more improvement to come.

SIU will be better, with Mullins providing better glue than Tatum carried last year.

MUState has a weaker frontcout than the other four, so I expect that facet to be exposed at times this season.

Illinois will go as far as Randall can defend and Smith can shoot. Their frontcount is by far the most rugged of all five teams.

SLU will do well as long as Polk stays on the floor. We cannot be easily pressured by most teams with Dwayne breaking the press. Kevin and especially Tommie also need to dial in how to get Ian the ball in the paint, rather than two steps outside the lane. I think Ian is getting bumped out farther than last year by most teams, so he's wasting energy horsing into the block area.

so by that logic, what's the point of these rankings. You had SIU #2 and SLU #5 and many had us #5 and SIU #1. But SLU played at SIU a relatively close game, which you could attribute to home court crap. Then if there's not much difference between #1 or #2 and #5, these rankings just become bunk. In fact, I'd go ahead and suggest that it is all bunk, because each of these five times are very comparable and the difference between teams in the 20-60 range isn't much. The only team I'm not sold on is Mizzou at this point because they haven't shown anything beyond playing easy home games and one game against a solid team.

At this point Houston is not a good win. Look at their body of work to this point, don't kid yourself. They got smashed by VCU.

I think Mizzou and Missouri State have to be 1 and 2 at this point. Mizzou is undefeated and unchallenged to this point and Missouri State has only lost one game and that was by 3 to a quality OSU team and they got the big win at Wisconsin. SIU lost to a team that Mizzou hammered and really does not have an impressive win. Illinois has two losses and a couple of unimpressive wins. Here is my list and the answer key:

1. Mizzou

2. Missouri State

3. SIU

4. Illinois

5. SLU

i refuse to reward mi$$ouri for that pathetic schedule. now once they have been through the big 12 once and are still about 500 and fighting for 3rd place or so, then come back and talk to me.

>so by that logic, what's the point of these rankings. You

>had SIU #2 and SLU #5 and many had us #5 and SIU #1. But SLU

>played at SIU a relatively close game, which you could

>attribute to home court crap. Then if there's not much

>difference between #1 or #2 and #5, these rankings just

>become bunk. In fact, I'd go ahead and suggest that it is

>all bunk, because each of these five times are very

>comparable and the difference between teams in the 20-60

>range isn't much. The only team I'm not sold on is Mizzou at

>this point because they haven't shown anything beyond

>playing easy home games and one game against a solid team.

Shoe,

I'd agree that all 5 teams are somewhat comparable this year. That's why I think it's interesting to rank the teams. This will probably change from week to week and it's not unforseeable that #5 could switch place with #1 in a short period of time. There is no one dominant team from these five like we've seen in the last few years. They all could dance at the end but which ones actually will. It will be interesting to look at this in two weeks and see how things have changed.

>i refuse to reward mi$$ouri for that pathetic schedule. now

>once they have been through the big 12 once and are still

>about 500 and fighting for 3rd place or so, then come back

>and talk to me.

The CBSSPORTSLINE RPI rankings would disagree with. While they're all relatively close CBS has the Strengths of Schedule listed as:

MO ST - 58

Mizzou - 62

SLU - 83

ILLINOIS - 99

SIU - 120

At this point I don't think it's accurate to say that any one school has really played a much more difficult schedule than the next.

cbs is on crack or positioning themselves for new sams warehouse membership cards if they think mi$$ouri's schedule is better than any of the five.

point taken.

I just think because they're all comparable, it's tough to say who's wrong and who's right. I can't logically argue SLU is better than SIU because we lost to them, but anybody can logically argue almost any ranking of the five. I'll wait until the season progresses to make these judgements because I think all 5 have a shot to make the tourney, but it all depends on how they play things out. so my ranking is going to be:

1.)SLU

2.)Illinois

3.)SIU

4.)Mo State

5.)MO

Because it's too tough at this point I'll stick with personal favor, which is blocking all judgement and I'll just stick with which teams I like and don't like at this point.