yesterday's game

i have had a tough few days. still dont have power. but i packed up the truck and drove on down to siu yesterday. the best part of the trip was eating at the 17th street bar and grill which bonwich had recommended months ago. very good bbq. will be a necessary stop on future siu treks.

siu is a tough place to play. a sea of maroon and a very vocal crowd.

the difference in the game was basically falker vs ian. that battle wasnt even close. ian had better wake up soon. he has sleepwalked through the first 7 games now. some of the stuff he did saturday was just head shaking. three times, mullins used ian as his screen on drives to the basket he scored on. and ian again is playing soft. he doesnt even get the ball to the backboard when fouled. he has to be stronger than that.

i might sound like a broken record, but this isnt the ian i was expecting this year. you tell me, how many people think that falker will get drafted in the first round as an nba center? i dont. but he sure tore ian up yesterday.

lisch got the hell beat out of him. young beat him up until he had 4 fouls then the clemons kid and tatum took turns. the fall in the first half where he fell on his left arm had to be more serious than kevin reacted because he was never the same after that.

polk started out great on tatum but gradually he was a non factor on both ends. tatum was held below his typical 40+ shots taken though so i guess that is good.

liddell seemed to let mullins excessive pushing, pulling and slapping get to him and ended up with two really stupid retalitory fouls.

our two subs, danny brown adn justin johnson were complete non-factors. it is time to let some of the other billikens play imo. why are we trying to get by with 7 players?

imo the best billiken on the floor the only billiken that didnt take it was luke meyer. luke played tough on both ends. him and shaw obviously had a little thing going on and shaw eventually got a technical mouthing off to luke. but luke rebounded and defended and got to the basket. but anytime luke is going to be our best player on the floor we are in trouble.

bottom line, if the zebra's are going to put away the whistles and let the other team body us around like they did, this team doesnt appear tough enough to play that way. both of our two losses now were us getting pushed around. and we arent tough enough to play through it let alone give it back without getting caught.

that game was winnable. i dont want to hear siu is better than us. they were yesterday, but not because they are better basketball players they just out toughed us. we make our free throws, we play to the basket instead of cowering at the half line, we give it back the same way we defended, we win that game.

i would welcome that rematch on a neutral court with refs that want to call fouls that are fouls.

imo we have to win the next four games. let's see how tough our team really is.

in other college basktball news, i think temple was the only a-10 team that won yesterday. that is disappointing. but on a happy note, marquette lost to north dakota state college of the blind or something like that. god that cheered me up.

can't really disagree with much but as bad as the conference was yesterday we did get 4 wins (4-8).

I agree that Lisch was a different player after the injury. Maybe he'll go back to the Iverson sleeve which he played quite well with last year.

There used to be a time in this program when we were the team that out-physicalled and beat up the other team. I don't blame the refs for swallowing their whistles, we just need to man up when it happens.

Brad is a veteran of the Big 10. He obviously has first hand experience with high level, physical basketball. If SLU can't handle physical opponents, then either we have limited ballplayers or else the coaching staff has not adequately prepared our players for big time competition.

When the Hawks were here they had a guy named Charlie Shear- something like that anyway, he was big guy who played center and was sent in only when the coach wanted to let the other team know that you could not push the Hawks around. Charlie would come in and play maybe 3-5 minutes and get 3 quick fouls but when he was done the other team was littered on the floor from his flying elbows. Charlie only had to be sent in once before the nonsense stopped. Maybe this team needs someone to become their Charlie Shear.

Cry me a river people. Keep thinking SIU isn't a better team than you. We are more than just tougher than you. You cry because you can't handle our defense and that is because why... WE ARE BETTER THAN YOU. You had your chance to join the MVC before you picked the pathetic A10 because you thought you were bigger than the Valley. Truth is you missed out when the getting was good and your program will suffer for the mistake. If you have something to say about SIU, it's fans, facilities whatever don't hide behind your crappy messageboard, be a man and say it at www.salukitalk.net.

>that game was winnable. i dont want to hear siu is better

>than us. they were yesterday, but not because they are

>better basketball players they just out toughed us. we make

>our free throws, we play to the basket instead of cowering

>at the half line, we give it back the same way we defended,

>we win that game.

>

>i would welcome that rematch on a neutral court with refs

>that want to call fouls that are fouls.

I think SLU has a very good team and things are only looking up.

Roy, I would expect comments like that from the trolls on this site, but not you. Do you really think SLU is a better team than SIU? Please don't say "well we beat you last year, so we're even". IMO, and the opinion of the reasonable on this board, we were better than SLU last year and we are better this year. BUT THE GAP IS CLOSING

Remember this game was played at SIU and home games are worth alot in D1 basketball. In fact in something as simple as shooting freethrows ... if we hit a few more this is a different game. I'm not aure we are better, but I think we win at home ... doesn't matter though we won't get to play it and it is just an opinion. You guys did what you do very well. You are a good team ... imo one of the best defensive teams in D1.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

Maybe this is why I believe SIU is the Billikens biggest rival.Actually there can`t be a better mascot game, than the Salukis and Billikens.

Personally, I would prefer to join the Mounted Canadian Conference before joining the Valley.

"A strong man stands up for himself; a stronger man stands up for others." - Ben

Basketball is not football or hockey. Playing aggressively is not that same as physically beating the ###### out of the oppostion. The officiating crew is responsible for keeping the game in check. When they don't, the best team may not win; instead, the team that hacks the opponent has a definitive advantage. That is my primary complaint with officiating and it seems to be getting worse every year. It almost seems like they want an NHL type atmosphere.

"A strong man stands up for himself; a stronger man stands up for others." - Ben

to this day, i dont have a problem with the chaney incident vs st joes. it is a shame the kid got a broken arm, but the refs let the game get away and chaney did what he thought he had to do to change the style of play.

i also dont disagree with your above thoughts that when the whistles get put away the billikens have to be able to match the style and play through it. god knows the ncaa tourney is nothing but rugby at it's best. i dont agree with it, but you are correct it happens.

my only point is that we dont seem to have the guts to do that. now the billiken babiers might not like it that i said our team and in particular our best player are not tough, but it is pretty obvious it is true. the two games we have lost were lost because we played scared. right now you can bet the word is out, come out and beat the hell out of the billikens and they will fold. there is no denying that. that has nothing to do with coaching. that is pure heart of the players. i saw luke stand up to it saturday, the rest didnt.

i think officially it is o'fallon, it is on highway 50 across from all the auffenberg dealerships. i am looking forward to it opening.

i dont think it is right to visit other programs and talk trash. it is totally classless. and i think most of the folks here think the same so you wont likely see many of us at salukitalk.net.

however, you apparently dont share that view. that doesnt surprise me considering some of the siu giants that have visited here the last week.

did i say anyone was better? i said on a neutral court it would be a different game. you dont think that the siu home court wasnt worth 10 points? do you think we only shoot 50% free throws every game? i definitely doubt that siu shoots 90% every game from the line. do you think lisch plays every game with a badly sprained elbow after getting a monkey flip from young? do you think justin johnson fouls out every game in 7 minutes?

imo, the teams are pretty even. falker is obviously better than vouyoukas but lisch and liddell are better than any guard siu has, shaw is a better shooter than meyer, but to be honest, luke held his own otherwise with shaw.

the siu player that really made the diffference besides falker's great play was mullins. he is a very nice player that just doesnt make mistakes, and is a better offensive player than i expected. he also seemed to get in liddell's head and had him off his game. i like mullins a lot.

play that game 10 times on a neutral court it wouldnt surprise me we'd have to play an 11th to decide the better team.

as i said in another post, i dont think it is right to go to an opponents board and post. it is totally classless. so you wont see me posting at an opponents board.

Great summary of the game, Roy. I too made the trek to SIU. I took two friends to the game and found myself apologizing for Ians' play all game. What is his deal? Quit playing like a ***** and get tough. If he doesn't get angry and aggresive by UNC, TH will shut the door on his NBA hopes with embarrassment. The refs were horrible on both ends. Tommie has the ability to take over games and needs to start doing it. Seriously, make some free throws. I think its a coin toss which team is better. Let's put this behind and start a winning streak.

I'm now going to jump on the SIU site and *****. Not really.