The Return of Justin Johnson

Box and Won

>one more time....LM is not a PF, he is our fourth perimeter

>player.

If that is the case, then it is time to fix the problem and play a legit power forward because a perimeter player should be able to hit open jumpers.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a difficult question to answer because shooting percentages don't account for the type of shots being taken. I don't know if the stat exists, but I would like to see the 4 shoot at least 50% on shots from 10-17 feet. In this offense the guy playing the 4 gets a lot of open looks from this distance due to passes off Ian double-teams and Lisch/Liddell/Polk penetration. If Luke was hitting those open looks yesterday, the game would never have gotten close in the first or second halves. I thought Luke would be reliable from that distance, but he hasn't been. JJ may have the ability to hit that shot when open.

My point was that of the 6 shots that Ian was fouled on most were not him getting mauled - he has to be stronger and able to finish those shots or at least some of them. Yesterday, he might actually only got 1 or 2 to drop which would make him 1 of 7 or 2 of 8. Your center has to be able to get at least 50% of those to drop.

Ian has been rushing his shots this season. He needs to settle down and make that second move like he did so well last season. The only game I actually got to see (the A&M game), he seemed especially flustered. He'll get his rhythm back as the season progresses.

Don't forget, he's still posting numbers through the first 5 games that are pretty much the same as last season.

With the new offense and TL and KL stepping it up, I wouldn't ask for more than the solid double-double IV's been giving us so far this season.

D....LM was 2 for 8 against Houston. To meet your 50% standard, he needed to hit just two more shoots. If LM hits just one more shot in each half (four points total), the game is still close.

Bottom line, we can't have IV making 25% of his FTs and we need LM to shoot better than 25% from the field. Neither are a mountain to climb!

cheeseman said,

"My point was that of the 6 shots that Ian was fouled on most were not him getting mauled - he has to be stronger and able to finish those shots or at least some of them. Yesterday, he might actually only got 1 or 2 to drop which would make him 1 of 7 or 2 of 8. Your center has to be able to get at least 50% of those to drop."

I agree with cheeseman. ian is being touted as a 1st round draft pick. the greatest billiken center ever. then act like it. sure he had a double double. but houston played four guards and a sf most of the time. ian should have dominated like never before. yes maybe that is to a higher standard, but if this team is going to go deep, ian has to be that first round draftee, the greatest billiken center ever. step up ian and give us what we know you can do.

Roy--were you at the game? Houston played several very strong inside players who were constantly pounding on Ian. He was definitely not playing against "guards". If Ian had shot his free throws well he would have had 20 points and more than 10 rebounds against a very athletic team--the kind of team that has given us fits over the past few years. I agree that Ian can and will play better but you are reverting back to your ridiculous criticism of Ian when you called him a wasted scholarship. He clearly has issues with his shooting with the ball coming off his hand a little funny. I think it is the result of his dislocated finger and I would bet he will do better as the season goes on. He is not playing like a first round NBA draft choice yet but I challange you to give me a name of a better all around center in the modern Billiken era!!!!

It was a matter of runs. Luke missed multiple open looks in both halves that helped kill hot runs and turn the momentum back in Houston's favor. Had he hit those shots, Houston would not have gotten easy buckets off rebonds and the whole flow of the game would have changed.

I appreciate that you are defending the kid, but he needs to hit those shots for this team to meet its lofty goals.

roy, who is touting IV as a first round pick?

23 months ago you stated that..."the thought of going into the A-10 with IV and BH as SLU's centers was frightening"! You eventually came around and was the second-last person on the IV bandwagon. (bauman was the last on)

a year from today you willing be missing IV contribution dearly. even with his slow start IV is averaging 13 pts, 10 boards and 3 blocks per game for a team that runs a four-guard offense.

relax, or you will end up pushing IV as the "whipping-boy" of the 2006-2007 year. Others may think LM deserves that dubious honor!

Come on now ... I an didn't have a great game but he was 6 of 10 from the field for 16 points and what 13 boards. It was actually one of his better shooting days this year. Now his 50% from the line needs to get better and he needs to continue to shoot the ball like he did Sat. I'll take his stats from Sat and 70% from the line every game.

The insinuation that he needs to make more of the shots he is fouled on is silly.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

billikan, come on. the center jump the "very strong inside player" was at least 5 inches shorter and probably 40 pounds lighter. to insinuate they were a physical match for ian is actually an insult to ian imo.

back in ian's freshmen sophomore years, he indeed was a wasted scholarship. it was only after that sophomore season that ian got serious about his conditioning and work ethic. amazing how he improved dramatically after doing so. had he never got serious off the court, ian would still not be a credible player.

you last point, so ian is the best of what? it isnt like there is a long line of first round pick centers coming out of slu.

all i am saying is that ian is performing at a decent rate thus far, but to continue to tout him as an nba player at the level he is at now is stupid. we need ian to turn it up and quite frankly so does ian or he can count on going back to athens greece permanently in a few months. to make excuses for him doesnt help him. the sooner he realizes he can and needs to turn it up the better for him as well as the billikens.

Their guy was 6'8" and very athletic and tough. Since when is Ian 7'1" tall. My point is that their inside guys were not slugs like you seem to suggest. I said he is not a first round draft choice but he is still an exremely important and contributing member of our team. Your continued suggestion that his was a wasted scholarship is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read. Players DEVELOP!!!!!!!!!!!!! and they do not all develop at the same pace. Big men take longer. Ian has been a real contributor since the end of his sophomore year. Why do you insist on inculting him? You are getting just like the rest of the complainers on this board.

Sorry, it is not silly to expect Ian to make some of those shots he gets fouled on when he is not actually mauled. You will never find a stat for what you are asking for since it is not kept. If the shot goes in then it is counted as a shot made if it does not it does not appear on the box score. NBA type centers can finish a few of those shots and if you don't think so then you need to watch more NBA basketball.

what you said was 50%, most centers just shoot a little over 50% on the shots they aren't fouled on. ... he does make some and he may have had a bad day against Houston. Every time he shoots just 1 he made the shot except for the 1-1's. I have a feeling if you kept stats he does fairly well. If he would have made 4 more free throws, which he should have done he'd have 20-13 for the game. Anyone who finds a reason to ***** about that is a fool.

You said

"My point was that of the 6 shots that Ian was fouled on most were not him getting mauled - he has to be stronger and able to finish those shots or at least some of them. Yesterday, he might actually only got 1 or 2 to drop which would make him 1 of 7 or 2 of 8. Your center has to be able to get at least 50% of those to drop."

He shot 12 free throw attempts. I am sure not all of those were shooting fouls ...even if they had been and he made 2 of 8 ... he would have taken 14 attempts. If he was 1-7 he would have taken 13 attempts. More than likely he only went to the line on a shooting foul 4 maybe 5 times.

Now like I said ... I agree with your idea that Ian needs to go harder to the basket sometimes ... but you are making it moe of an issue and/or difference maker than it really is.

The stats aren't kept because it is a ridiculous notion. I'm sure you can tell the harshness of the foul from your seats.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

Luke had a worse shooting percentage than DP last year. He has not provided the "mid range" game that he was touted at being good at. DP, Tommie, Kevin and Ian are excellent passers, so there will be a lot of opportunities for somebody to hit open shots. Brad recognized that need which is why Stemler was a top recruiting priority.