Ranking the A10 coaches

flyphan

If I remember correctly, Brian Gregory outcoached Brad Soderberg twice last year. Also Gregory is killing Soderberg in terms of recruiting. You know its bad when the St. Louis media is bashing its own university.

Also didn't SLU only win 7 games during the 04-05 year

Fphan - Unfortunately, you live in a small city - Dayton - and in the big cities like St. Louis, the local papers owe nothing to the local university. In fact, they are even harder on us then probably necessary. You also don't understand that many of the writers went to Missouri so they naturally have their own bias. I did like that you shared the article. I will find it interesting how the rankings stand for next year.

phan, please write down in order the number of wins that dayton has achieved each of the last four years. you have no problem with gregory's "trend"? and if gregory is a better recruiter and coach, wouldnt one think that the trend would be going the other direction the more of his recruited players join the roster each year?

you dont do very good in school do you? when you get to high school, maybe you should leave dayton public schools and go somewhere else. obviously your junior high school experience hasnt been very good thus far.

Man, everywhere I go, Dayton grads keep telling me how great Gregory is - the fry cook at McDonalds, the guy who cleans the toilets at the Sinclair station near my house, the guy who holds up the "Will work for food" sign at the Hampton/I-44 exit, the guy I saw suctioning sh!t out of a sewer on Washington Avenue...

We get the point!

I have to agree with the ranking of Brad near the bottom of the pack. I have been a HUGE brad supporter over the past 4 years, but he just isn't producing. He is being out recruited by SIU, Bradley, etc. Come on, lets get realistic.

As a previous poster put, this season is Brad's "final exam." Either make the tourny, or get the boot. Billiken fans deserve more then a .500 record. I am sick of SLU fans settling for mediocrity, demand more.

I gaurentee you fans at Creighton and Marquette (identical schools to SLU in everyway) do NOT accept losing as much as we do. I respect brad as the anti-bob huggins, but come on, he needs to win or leave.

You have been a huge supporter of Brad's over the last 4 years? And yet the year we have a good chance to go to the tourney ... you change. okay

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

he isnt producing? arent we on the verge of what appears to be one of the greatest billiken team in the last 15 years?

i was unaware that "producing" was about the quanity of summer verbal commits and fall signings. now if this season the billikens dont suffer any serious injuries and end up 9-21, then i'll lead the firing squad.

i also enjoyed your comparison teams. you do know that in creighton's case that altman was 54-59 in his first 4 seasons and only made the nit once and had zero ncaa appearances in his first 4 seasons?

you also realize that crean was 30-28 in his first two seasons before hitting the jackpot with duane wade the next two seasons. of course after those two wade years he followed that with two nit seasons.

i am not accepting mediocrisy, i am saying to rise up out of the level we are at doesnt happen over night and even in marquette's instance, they slipped back to a much lesser level right after their alltime greatest player left school.

you have to let a program build gradually. the better example we are following is gonzaga. however it took gonzaga about ten seasons of mediocre success before they hit the jackpot in 1999. since then they have held a very nice level of success considering what they are up against. but they too had a lot of seasons of middle success before taking off.

as i have said many times, the slu program suffers from impatience. since grawer left the program in 1992 (just 14 years ago) we have had 3 more coaches. so 4 coaches in 14 years. every coach that comes in changes focus and systems and recruiting strategy. meaning they start over. letting coach soderberg go means we start over again. and unless you think that the likes of pitino or roy williams are coming to slu, you are kidding yourself in thinking there will be any way any kind of immediate success. what would happen is in 5 years we would be having the same damn discussion again.

i am tired of musical programs. let something develop. unless coach soderberg is caught cheating or just is blatantly incompetent (which we know isnt the case) give him the time to build a real program the right way.

Excellent rebuttal Billiken Roy. I do agree with you now, after thinking about it after reading your post, that if we do lose Soderberg, it will be another 4 years of rebuilding, that is unless we bring in a Bob Huggins type coach (not in way that he recruits thugs, but the type of coach that could attract high profile recruits).

Lets end this discussion regarding Brad's ability until at least the middle of the season when we can reevaluate the job he is doing with HIS players.

I know this board doesn't believe it, but RealsticBilliken can be influenced by fact-based posts. RealisticBilliken keeps it realistic.

Roy, you make some good points, but keep in mind that any coach that comes into SLU in the future will be in a much better recruiting position than previous coaches due to the on-campus arena. We will be an easier program to sell. Xavier has gone through several coaches, but has maintained a pretty high level of consistency.

that ranking is pretty much sewage not even worth the paper (or website) it is printed on. At least they got Martelli right, at the top. after that it is pretty stupid.

they even say Coach S. took a team predicted to finish basically last all the way to near the top of the league last year. and yet they rank him 9th! go figure--the logic fails, though, even by their own statements, I think.

I really think this program needs to make a big statement, and puts us on the map nationally. is this the year?

> Fphan - Unfortunately, you live in a small city - Dayton -

>and in the big cities like St. Louis, the local papers owe

>nothing to the local university. In fact, they are even

>harder on us then probably necessary. You also don't

>understand that many of the writers went to Missouri so they

>naturally have their own bias. I did like that you shared

>the article. I will find it interesting how the rankings

>stand for next year.

St. Louis a big city. Are you serious. Not quite!