Polk

slu72

Polk had 16 piw last night on eight assists. That's a positive. Plus it sounds like some sort of running game is underway and you have to like DP involved with that.

Still, he was 0-for-3 from the floor and that's not real good. For all the positives we are able to read about on Tommie and Danny's shots, wish we were hearing the same from Dwayne. And this is Harris Stowe and UMSL. Oppositional talent is probably going to go up from here on out.

I find it encouraging that five or so guys hit double figures and Luke and Horace were only a bucket away from joining that crowd. And this is all being done with two parts missing. But it is against Divison II opposition.

A very nice start all things considered so let's get it started for real.

I thought Polk looked great out there in every respect except his shot. It's really frustrating as a fan. I would imagine it's terribly frustrating for him. Perhaps he should try hypnosis.

Hypnosis, shock therapy, sleep deprivation, water boarding, aversion therapy, prayer, dianetics, whatever. We cannot win big with our current lineup, with no one on the planet expecting Dwayne to hit a shot. Luke's long range shooting is rickety also but extends far enough let him shoot over the opposition.

No knock on Dwayne, really. I hope he can get it together because he's got everything else to be a damn fine player.

Now that I have actually seen a game, I can start posting again. All the off-season crap on the board wears on me. I couldn't agree more with Rich on DP. In my opinion, Dwayne will prove to more of a liability than an asset on the court unless he can learn to shoot. Watching him run the point and clearly have no confidence in his shot was a flashback to last year that I don't care to have. What about TL running the point with KL and DB on the wings? DB's defense is also a liabilty, but having him in the game would at least require the defense to extend. DP was very successful late last year coming off the bench in a spark plug role. Perhaps that is his destiny.

polk had two end to end drives with dump off passes for baskets last night that were things of beauty. but as rich said, if he cant shoot, he really hurts us. stowe gave him the top of the key all night and he couldnt put it down. ironically, i dont think his shot looks bad. it just never seems to go in. i feel for the kid because he is a very good player outside of that shooting percentage. it would be different if he had a mechanical problem, but that truly doesnt appear to be the case.

weird stuff.

Dwayne Polk needs to hypnotized, all right -- hynotized to shoot with his natural strong hand (his right hand).

Taj, I didn't see the game (I didn't hear the broadcast either, as I was at church, though I did record the broadcast so I can listen to it when I get time), but I believe Polk was "involved with" more than 16 points. You can't assume an assist is worth two points; it's often worth three points (a three-point play or a three-pointer), and on rare occasions it's worth four points.

I have seen several scrimmages and DP shoots better there. He is such a great energetic leader and he can push the ball beautifully on the break--so he will get some minutes. It was pretty amazing to see HS back off and double Ian and leave him wide open at the top of the key. Unfortunately, none of his shots looked like they had a chance to go in even though he looks good on the release.

The big problem we will have with him in the game is if we play a team that cuts off the break then Ian will be suffocated in the half court because they will leave Polk wide open. If he takes the shot and misses the other team often gets a long rebound and we are off to the races to the other end. That kills our momentum.

I still love the young man and there is a role on the team for him but he cannot play big minutes if he cannot shoot better.

Maybe things are reversed this year. In the first exhibition game last year against UMSL, Dwayne was 7-10 shooting with 19 points. So, my reasoning is this, he started off strong last year and it went downhill from there. This year he has started off very poorly, so maybe the trend will be uphill. Afterall, the only way is up.

Agreed thicks but I am going to have to just keep it even with 2 points per assist. Its an invented stat anyway so what.

How can a shooting guard not be able to shoot? I still remember Vee clamoring all over the place about Dwayne's real position as that of a shooting guard. Not to knock or question Vee but if he was indeed a shooting guard at Vashon, losing the ability to shoot is even more perplexing if you ask me. I've seen pass-first point guards who lost confidence in their shots and went south but not so many shooting guards that I can remember.

And like others have said, against UMSL and Harris-Stowe. Billikan says Dwayne's aces in practice. I believe him. Its happened before but games aren't won in practice. I like a combo of Luke and Danny at the three with a combo of Obi and Horace at the four until the other two come back with Dwayne sparkign off the bench. Just don't have a winded Obi ont he floor with a jetting Dwayne.