Thoughts on games today

Billikan

I arrived late for the alumni game but it was a fun event. The turnout was good--I do not remember all but Bonner, Claggett, Chris Braun, Baniak, Chris Sloan, Walker, Pee Wee, Highmark, Luck, Troy R, Justin, and a couple of others played. It ended in a tie and they played a 2 minute overtime. That also ended in a tie. Tatum and Bonner were really battling against each other. Bonner can still reboung like a demon. Pee Wee has put on a lot of weight but he can still play. Clags hit some rainbow jumpers and everyone seemed to have a very good time.

The Blue--White game was played in 2 16 minute halves. The first half the teams were evenly split and the score was 35-29 with a lot of excellent shooting, particularly from KL and Ian. Bryce also hit a number of shots. KL and DP were playing each other and they were both playing very hard. I predict that KL will have a fantastic year--his shot is great. Polk looked very fast and he made some terrific --take it to the hoop style--shots. He will play a lot of minutes. The one thing that stood out was the outside shooting of Ian. he hit several threes and several other 18 foot shots and he looked very comfortable doing it. Tommie was fine and he hit some shots. He was playing excellent defense. Danny and Luke had their moments and overall I came away from that segment pretty happy, particularly on the offensive end.

The second half the teams were spilt with the veterans on one team and the freshmen and walkons on the other. Brad was emphasizing that he wanted to run and run and run some more. The starting team was ian, Tommie, Kevin, luke and DP. The other team had Obi, HD, DM and two walk ons. One is a point guard I do not think I have seen before but he is real quick and a competitor. This game was a little ragged with the second teamers pushing and shoving and fouling a lot. There were some nice fast breaks but the running game needs polish. Ian and Bryce played together for about 6 minutes and it was a mixed bag. Bryce played better against Ian than with him. The freshman have interesting things to offer. Obi has a very nice touch, particularly from the mid range. HD is a fierce competitor and has a freshman's frustration if things don't go his way but he was fighting hard. DM is a very nice player with excellent fundamentals and a super quick release on his shot. he fought very hard when his team was so outmanned.

As we all have said, these games do not necessarily translate to the season but it should be interesting.

good analysis, Billikan. one of the walkons in the second half was assistant coach Jamal Walker, I believe.

Obi's lack of speed and fitness is really apparent, and would have done well under the old Grawer system, but I'm afraid he is still some time away from contributing big time now.

Bryce was called for a lot of fouls and was constantly arguing with the refs over what he could and couldn't do. Elbows up often got him into trouble.

I really liked how DM handled himself, didn't try to force things.

The alumni game was a blast, seeing familiar faces. Erwin's shot is still sweet, Anthony Bonner is a beast, still a great competitor. Matt Baniak is in great shape, Chris Sloan loved getting behind guys and taking it to the rim.

My take away from that game was how they still love to compete. They were enjoying their trash talking and teasing, but when it came down to it, they wanted to win and play hard. At the end of the regular time, when the score was tied, Erwin and Scott were talking about how they were to set up the screens, when it ended in a tie, they really wanted to play another 2 minutes to see who won. I believe they enjoyed playing more than we enjoyed watching them play.

mhg

I thought the Alumni Game was a blast. Granted, I had to ask people around me who everyone was (since I only knew Sloan, Hunt, Newborne, and Walker...ya'll know I'm a newbie-Billiken Basketball fan). Now I understand why everyone on this board was so vocal about Anthony Bonner needing to join the SLU coaching staff. He was absolutely phenomenal. I had also never heard of Pee Wee (sorry!), but wow! Also, it was very refreshing to see Highmark play rather than just call the game. It was funny to see him get so frustrated when his 3s wouldn't fall. Hopefully this Alumni Game will be an annual thing. I would definitely come back for that...especially if we can get Hughes & IV to come back from the NBA to play :)

Chris Sloan and Joanne (the old basketball secretary) were apparently the ones with the idea last year for the Alumni Game and were the ones who got the ball rolling, so props to them for making it happen and making it a success!!

**Sidenote: Did anyone notice the kid (little guy, maybe about 10 years old) shooting around during half-time of the Blue & White Game? He hit every shot he took....he dropped at least 10 out of 12 3s! Someone mentioned that it might have been Claggett's son. GET HIM TO COMMITT NOW!!!!

My take on the Blue & White Game:

DM has a very nice shot, and again his reaction time/release is super-quick. His style reminds me a lot of KL...like he could be his younger brother or something. Definitely is going to play a huge role along the arc this year. (PS: I think I was sitting next to DM's little brother...looked just like him at least. I wonder if he plays...)

I thought Obi would be a bit better than he was. He had a problem keeping his hands on the ball, and he didn't really drive to the basket when he got it...rather, he would stand there until someone came and got it from him.

TL had a few fade-aways that were fantastic. His 3-range shot has improved drastically. He looks like he has only gotten better from last season.

I expected to see a bit more action/points out of LM, but he has definitely toned up his body and I don't see why he wouldn't be in the starting line up.

The best way to describe HD's performance was that he's a freshman: the talent is there, he just has to bring it out and fine tune it. Had some good baskets and was very competitive.

DB looked very similar to last year. He had some good looks, but wasn't as consistent as I thought he'd be after some training in the off-season, but he could have just been of for this scrimmage...I haven't seen him in practice yet.

KL is really something...even MORE of something than he was last year. He has very obviously worked his ass off during the off-season. Again, I realize it was just a scrimmage, but I think if given a rematch, this KL could have wiped the floor with Adam Morrison.

IV was an old pro. He was making shots like they were nothing. He did take and make a few 3-point range shots (1 to start the scrimmage). Now that Soderberg realizes and wants to utilize his new-found range, I think seeing the Towers out there together is a very probable scenario.

The person who stuck out in my mind the most today was DP. He was fierce, fast, and phenomenal (sorry, ran out of "f"s). He was getting those types of rebounds that TL would get last year under the basket (where he'd seem to come out of no where and jump above the 7-foot guys). He even got a rebound away from the Towers when they were in together. His shot has definitely improved, but I don't think he made any of his attempted 3s.

The new walk-ons actually looked pretty competitive. Jeff Coffey (#10) hit a 3 and stayed with every guy he was put on. Mike Jones (#13) was QUICK (I thought it was DP at first). Apparently MJ tried out for the team last year but didn't make it. Wendell took a bunch of shots, but didn't make any.

I really couldn't pick out any stand-out-Anthony-Drejaj-type leader, but again it was just a scrimmage. DP was definitely the most vocal though, in my opinion.

All in all a great day of basketball. I'm super-excited that baseball season is finally over (GO CARDS!) and the sport of all sports can finally start: BILLIKEN BASKETBALL!!!! :)

I left early, usually I can't get enough but two games is a long time to sit stll. I'll go with Billian's proclamation but it would be nice if LM could see the arch of some of the grads.

He bangs way too many off the rim to be a starter and his hustle won't make up for it. HD

looks like a contributor as a freshman and a star in 3 or 4 years. The alums were good to

see but many of them are mere humans, again. Obviously, you could tell who is still playing

for real and who hoisted them up or tried the old jump moves with a lot less jump; it was fun

and probably a hundred or more people came to watch. Considering the lack of coverage by the post on any thing except who is hurt; I am surprised we have that many who sought ought the free game. My prediction now that baseball is over the post will cut the sports section to larger picture, fewer words and not as many writers who can actually be there for games.

Thanks to Nark for the use of the Billiken

Both Lucks were there, V'ashun, Duff, Walker, and the Clayton HS walkon who was granted a schollie his senior year...I knew his name this afternoon but can't recall it now. I missed Gray and Douglas; maybe they'll show next year. A lot of the guys need to eat less...including Claggs, but he sure hasn't lost the shot. I really enjoyed it.

I am glad that you are enthusiastic about the team, but you may need to relax just a bit. Saying that Kevin Lisch would wipe the floor with Adam Morrison is one of the funniest / craziest things I have read on this board.

From these reports it does not sound like any of the 4s have really distinguished themself from the others. The fact that we still have not found a quality 4 is extremely frustrating in my opinion. When I see some of the 4s in the MVC and compare them to what we have it really angers me.

BlueCrewPrez: Dustin is my little BIG brother lol. I am actually 3 years older (22) but have always been smaller than him. My playing days are over now, i am just a fan. Thought the squad looked really good today, cant wait for the season to start. It will be nice when JJ and Adam are healed so Coach Soderberg can have some options at the 3 and 4 spot. Should be an exciting year. Go Bills!

Cajun ... I think the 2 4's that were ahead are the 2 hurt. I think JJ was clearly number 1. Like you, I'm not happy that he is our best choice ... but he is and I prefer a real PF to Luke (which is not a knock on Luke, I want him starting at the 3) However if you watched the scrimmage it was obvious that Obi or HD isn't ready. I think this may push UB to use Bryce and Ian together more. THe good thing is both injuries are not long term and AK may be back by Dec and JJ mid Dec.

With Luke at the 4, It's not his height I have a problem with, there have been some good 6'5" 4's in D1 ... he is just not a PF. IMO he would have to change his mentality. He looks really strong, and he is athletic ... so if he would stay inside and bang and work on some post moves ... I'd be happier.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Your math is a mess. Not every player has to be excellent the day he walks in. Tommie and Kevin were great from Day 1. It took Ian until his junior year--so in your way of thinking ian was a bad recruit.

There has been a lot written nationally about the lack of big men who can play right away. They need seasoning and coaching. Only if you are North Carolina or Duke can your expect that every recruit will be able to "deliver" immediately and even then they have some players that develop into good players in their junior and senior years. If we can have a combination of players who are good enough to start as freshmen, sophomores, juniors or seniors--so we have a good team that can compete for a trip to the big dance then I do not see your point at all.

Billikan - you are off base not me. Ian played alot of minutes as a sophomore. It was not just his junior year that he perfomed. When Tom went down Ian got his minutes plus his own. He was a performer in his second year. All of us saw his promise that year and looked forward to his junior year because of what we saw. We have to recruit players that we can get more than 1 or 2 years of play out of - as freshmen they should play a little but hone their craft in practice if upperclassmen are better than they are but as a sophomore, they should be seeing consistent playing time - even if if it is only 10 -12 minutes a game. This is the only way to get them battle tested for their last 2 years when they should be starters if not sooner.

Your point is well taken. Let's say, though, that Tom doesn't have an injury and plays out with the majority of minutes as we thought. Ian probably doesn't develop as much during the season, but comes back and has a bang up second half of his junior year.

UB likes to bring people along slowly, unless it hits him in the forehead with a 2x4, like TL and KL. Last year we would have shuddered to think that JJ was our best option at the 4, (we still may) but before the injuries, he probably was our best 4, unless AK or HD surpass him.

I see nothing wrong with your point, but we need to give guys time to develop, and give them the incentives to work hard in the off-season to improve their skills and athleticism, to improve their individual PT (and thereby the team improves.)

mhg

Cheeseman, if you want more than token minutes out of underclassmen, then we are looking at players who make the all rookie conference team. In the past decade plus, Jeremy Biles, Larry Hughes, Kevin and Tommie fill this bill. Did Bonner make the all rookie team?

The level of DI college play is so much faster than high school that it is an exceptional skilled frosh who can walk into a starting lineup. If you do get a player who is dominant, he is NBA bound after two or three years.

"as freshmen they should play a little but hone their craft in practice if upperclassmen are better than they are but as a sophomore, they should be seeing consistent playing time - even if if it is only 10 -12 minutes a game"

Isn't that precisely what every player since the Polk, Meyer, Brown class has done and what this year's freshmen are slated to do?

cheese.....going with you thought of sophmores getting 12 minutes per game..... and having a 12 man roster plus one redshirt, would you be comfortable with the following spread of the 200 game minutes:

3 seniors X 31 minutes per game

3 juniors X 20 minutes per game

3 sophs X 12 minutes per game

3 frosh X 4 minutes per game

I think the above would be a rare case, because most rosters are not perfectly balanced. Likewise, it means that you are never or rarely bringing in an extraordinary freshman or two, like TL and KL.

Botton line, 200 minutes doesn't go very far if you want all 12 players involved.

The bottom line is that if sophomores are supposed to play 10-12 minutes a game, freshmen are supposed to get minutes and the juniors and seniors are supposed to start--there are not enough minutes in the game! Of course, that ignores that fact that sophomores like TL and KL will play big minutes from the day they arrive.

First of all, I never said that freshmen should get minutes in every game - they can get minutes throughout the season in lots of ways that do not equate into every game minutes. Blowouts - both ways can give them minutes. A minute of play can actually equate to 5 minutes of rest for an upperclassman with timeouts, fouls, inbounds, whatever. Second, I have no problem with Brad bringing his new recruits in slowly. My comment was in response to Billikan who said our current freshmen recruits would take 3-4 years before they could make contributions. My point was simply, we have to recruit new players who not only can play before their junior and senior year but want to and can demand it by their ability/skill/practice performance.