AB new coach at Vashon

Supersonic

Good luck to Anthony.....he may need some prayers as well.

One day last week I was flipping thru the cable channels and caught DJ (Floyd Irons' friend, "something" Johnson, sorry I'm having a senior moment with his first name) on his own sport show commenting on the rumor of Bonner taking over for Irons. DJ called Bonner every possible negative name (10-12 names at least)in the book for thinking he was worthy of taking the job that rightly belonged to Irons.

I was stunned that the name calling / character assassenation was being

run on this cable station. DJ is not a nice person!

AB is still my all time favorite Billiken. I am delighted to see him get such a prestigious job. Let's hope it is not all for nought because of the jerks who think that Floyd is the only person alive that could or should coach at Vashon. I would bet that he will have the respect of the team from day 1 because of what he has accomplished and the classy way he handles himself.

Although I agreed with Irons anger, I can not support his verbal assault of Bonner. Bonner is the perfect man for the job. Irons's focus should continue to be on the corruption within school board, and not the person who is trying to help continue the legacy that Irons built. The hiring of Bonner is nothing but a move in the right direction.

DJ is scum. He preys on young athletes and is always first to pull the race card. He should be drummed out of the spotlight by the black leadership in this town. Thankfully I have noticed mainstream sports programs are refusing to let him on the air, whether it be on TV or radio, when just a few years ago he was a constant guest or host.

Despite Bonner being a protege of Irons', Floyd will turn on him quickly if he can acquire more power or money in the process. Lets all hope that Bonner carries himself with the professionalism he has always displayed during his playing career and refuses to let Irons and DJ's muckraking bring him down. AB is exactly the right person to guide the young men at Vashon and to be a public face for the school and district as they try to climb their way out of what has been decades of graft, corruption, and incompetence.

to stlsfinest and skip, i thought it was said that johnson, irons made the negative comments about Bonner in the above post. Irons didn't say anything negative about Bonner. Bonner is his most famous protege. They were both good for each other's career and is the only person with a legacy at Vashon thats even close to Irons.

I have serious doubts that AB will be able to put up anything regarding the sucess that Irons had at Vashon in the last few years; I see this team struggling a bit this year and probably in the future...

1) One thing I've always felt is that Irons had his ear to the pulse of Vashon High School, he knew everything that was going and could head-off problems, including grades, with his players before they started. I know AB has an official posiiton and title in the school but I wonder how much involvement he is actually going to have with the students and the high school while coaching there?

2) Irons had a system that maximized his players' different skills and backgrounds...this team had a tough pressing style that was key to allowing their athletes to shine. I know that Iron's is not sharing his system or playbook with AB this year, I don't know about his assistants or who coaches JV. I wonder what type of system AB is going to put in or does he emulate Irons; does he even have a system? Irons did a lot more than throw a basketball out and run scrimmages in practice, he can definetly coach kids up.

I don't see anything wrong with the hiring of AB, there are many, many unqualified coaches in high school basketball and AB is definetly qualified to coach high school. Yet, this is a high school that has had such dominance and sucess in the area and nationally in the last two decades that the standards of sucess might be unrealistically high for a new coach. I think the loss of Irons and the hiring of AB is going to have a profound change in the annual postseason outlook and results for Vashon.

It's always difficult following a legend, especially a legend that still wants his job. Best wishes to AB. Vashon and the greater community need him to succeed. As far as SLU's relations with the Vashon program, I can only see them improving with AB as coach.

>>Irons had a system that maximized his players' different skills and backgrounds...this team had a tough pressing style that was key to allowing their athletes to shine. I know that Iron's is not sharing his system or playbook with AB this year, I don't know about his assistants or who coaches JV. I wonder what type of system AB is going to put in or does he emulate Irons?<<

Interesting points. Can't imagine Vashon as anything but a pressing / uptempo team. I look forward to watching the AB coached Vashon team in action this season.

I think it is more important the effect it has on the players futures and not on the victory total. There have been way too many sad stories involving Vashon players over the last two decades. It's time for education to become the most important thing at Vashon. For the players and the school as a whole.

i agree brian, but that wont be accomplished by bonner as much as by the school district itself. until the district as a whole can focus on education nothing will change. getting rid of the corruption of floyd irons is a nice starting message, but then they took a step backwards imo by not letting the supt finish his job. he had apparently initiated some good things. but he also crossed the board and was fired. not a good message to send. too many people with their hands out. what a mess.

per the stltoday report on bonner being the new basketball coach at vashon:

"St. Louis School Board President Veronica O'Brien placed his salary at $125,000 annually."

i love bonner. i want the vashon program to succeed. but $125k for a high school coach? the second position of "Executive Director of Community Outreach" better be some sort of difference maker position to justify that!

>I have serious doubts that AB will be able to put up

>anything regarding the sucess that Irons had at Vashon in

>the last few years; I see this team struggling a bit this

>year and probably in the future...

>

>1) One thing I've always felt is that Irons had his ear to

>the pulse of Vashon High School, he knew everything that was

>going and could head-off problems, including grades, with

>his players before they started. I know AB has an official

>posiiton and title in the school but I wonder how much

>involvement he is actually going to have with the students

>and the high school while coaching there?

>

>2) Irons had a system that maximized his players' different

>skills and backgrounds...this team had a tough pressing

>style that was key to allowing their athletes to shine. I

>know that Iron's is not sharing his system or playbook with

>AB this year, I don't know about his assistants or who

>coaches JV. I wonder what type of system AB is going to put

>in or does he emulate Irons; does he even have a system?

>Irons did a lot more than throw a basketball out and run

>scrimmages in practice, he can definetly coach kids up.

>

>I don't see anything wrong with the hiring of AB, there are

>many, many unqualified coaches in high school basketball and

>AB is definetly qualified to coach high school. Yet, this is

>a high school that has had such dominance and sucess in the

>area and nationally in the last two decades that the

>standards of sucess might be unrealistically high for a new

>coach. I think the loss of Irons and the hiring of AB is

>going to have a profound change in the annual postseason

>outlook and results for Vashon.

Bonner knows Irons' system. He's a product of the system. He doesnt need Floyd to share the playbook. He learned it for 4 years. Also, Vashon wont struggle because they got good transfers in 6'6 Marcel Smith who was a starter at CA last year and 6'3 guard Ameechie Baldwin. They have Ameechie Baldwin who was the MVP of the recent Battle for Rankings Showcase that included a lot of the area's top players. Ron Waller was the MVP of the 2008 Class. They also have Cornelius Walker who started last year as a soph and had a great summer, in which he was the MVP of a lot of tournaments and he also accompanied Powell on the visit to Mizzou. Not to mention Derron Hobbs and other 6'8 Ben Adams, 6'8 Raymond Harrell, 4 year varsity guard Donald Davis who was the 6th man on 2004-2005 team. They'll be fine through 2009.

thanks vtime. i have really missed the listing of the vashon roster here at billikens.com. but i am a little concerned about your final statement, "They'll be fine through 2009". what happens 2009?

I was actually delighted to see that he will be more than the coach. Anthony is as impressive a young man as you could meet. With more experience he will become a major player in the city of St. Louis. With the salary will come expectations and that is a good thing for Anthony. I think it is fantastic that he grew up in this comunity and he has come back to try to make a difference!

Lol...

Have you ever thought that some of those players who have flopped in college have been products of a well tuned high school system?

I'm willing to bet a lot of money that it has been a long time since Bonner has used floyd's system, oh about 20 years ago. I'm sure he remembers the details and adjustments that Irons has made since the mid 80's. The fact that he probably had to adjust to 10+ different coaching styles and programs over the years obviously won't affect how he approaches a high school program?

Bottom line is that without Irons, Vashon probably isn't going to be as good. Not to mention that AB is getting paid $125,000 at an inner city school that needs teachers, textbooks and after school-programs a hell of a lot more than a coach.

I'm not so sure that it will be smooth sailing for AB.

>thanks vtime. i have really missed the listing of the

>vashon roster here at billikens.com. but i am a little

>concerned about your final statement, "They'll be fine

>through 2009". what happens 2009?

I meant 2008. 2008 class has Smith, Baldwin and the backcourt of Hobbs and Walker who shared the starting sg spot last season and have been varsity since day 1. Walker did have more starts than Hobbs last season and Doss started at sg in a big lineup vs Gateway.