Louisville mens and womens bball to move to downtown ar

5 to 6 times what we spent? More than the new Busch stadium? Half of what the new Yankee stadium costs?

The article mentions $75mm from state bonds. Where is the other $375mm going to come from? maybe they meant $150mm.

I realize there was some sort of museum attached to it but that is ridiculous.

It does, however, comprise, in addition to the arena:

- 450 to 500 bed Class-A Hotel

- 20,000 square foot Conference Facility

- Retail space including Team Store

- Up-scale Restaurant serving the public, Arena patrons, and Hotel

- 1500 car Garage

And there are major elevation issues, 'cause they're building it next to the river.

Read all about it here:

http://www.arenaauthority.com/

This is going to be an incredible facility, and bring a lot of nice amenities to downtown Louisville. I've always been a believer that downtown arenas and stadiums are better for cities, and this is a great move. The city is also going to see a new Rem Koolhaas-designed building on the riverfront, and is experiencing a lot of urban revitalization:

http://www.greaterlouisville.com/content/c...e_0602_fyi.html

And despite moving out of "historical" Freedom Hall, that place was kind of a dump. I remember driving into the conference tournament there a few years back as the circus was pulling out. They left hay and dirt all over the place, and Tom Frericks could barely breathe because he had an allergic reaction to the hay. Seats along the sidelines, both decks, were very nice seats, but the ends were so long that most people were at the ends or corners, and they looked like they were a mile away.

i believe freedom hall is located in the kentucky state fairgrounds. as slu72 stated, it was as much a cattle barn as an arena. nasty arena. one of the worst i have ever been to.

i am sure this is all about keeping slick rick happy.

Louisville is my hometown and I've been to many a game at Freedom Hall. I disagree that it is a dump. There sightlines are very good. I sat in the second to last row in the end zone a couple of years ago for a Billiken game and was amazed at how well I could see. If you want to say the halls and ramp system was bad I would agree,but for a place that sits 19,000 the view is pretty good. The upper deck hangs near the court like the old Kiel. For a place build{I know it was remodeled} in the 50's its pretty damn good.

when i said dump, i wasnt talking about sight lines. i was talking about physical condition of the building.

They also hosted a Final Four there, if I'm not mistaken. I know that the NCAA is now saying that only cities who have facilities that can hold x amount of people can host a Final Four. Any specs on how many people will this Louisville Arena hold? Perhaps they are making a push at the Men's or Women's Final Four??

>It does, however, comprise, in addition to the arena:

>

>- 450 to 500 bed Class-A Hotel

>- 20,000 square foot Conference Facility

>- Retail space including Team Store

>- Up-scale Restaurant serving the public, Arena patrons, and

>Hotel

>- 1500 car Garage

>

>And there are major elevation issues, 'cause they're

>building it next to the river.

>